Posts: 92 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Italy
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
At the end this is simple: Brainstorm is a tool that helps us finding and discussing problems that matter to the community and their potential solutions. Then developers can look at the Brainstorm, help finding out the good useful solutions and eventually implement them. That's it for today.
I'm on board with this suggestion and target - the Brainstorm is a bit more structured way to raise problems then the forum, with the possibility (or main outcome) to lead to an answer/solution/action.

To me (sorry, PM-infected mind) it still comes down to the same old issue-action (problem-solution, question-answer) pair.

Vote on the N900 in the Engadget Awards!
My continously built proposal(-devel) for maemo.org community.
Do you want to save your favourite thing about maemo & community? Make sure you list it here.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
I don't understand:
http://maemo.org/community/brainstorm/view/sim_toolkit/
It says:
This brainstorm is a duplicate
And I say:
Then what?

Latest activities to brainstorm SIM toolkit doesn't make any sense to me? I click links but it goes to same page? Lots of activity but users mentioned there are nowhere on brainstorm suggestions. Many savings by same and different users What what?

Am I stupid or is something broken or half implemented?

Last edited by slender; 2010-02-25 at 17:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
You're not stupid. Brainstorm needs some structural and process love.

I was going to do a "simple" diagram of how I think the process should work here, but given the MeeGo development I am expanding that to include design recommendations. I can't say if any of it will be implemented here but it might make sense IMO to pilot MeeGo ideas here if nothing else. Bergie will also be involved and he is definitely the man.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Im not sure of the point of Brainstorm - what apps have actually been created using it - VERY few. Nothing seems to get beyond the consideration stage, and if it does get to under development - what has come of it?

Brainstorm just seems like a talking shop to me. Some bloody great ideas but nothing seems to be done with them. Why is this the case, its such a pity - if some of these ideas could be implemented the N900 could be almighty.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
I'm excited to see what you come up with.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Its main function is to suck noise Its playground for people. Sing songs and hold hands Find wheel again and again and oops again *grin*

Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I'm excited to see what you come up with.
I thought Nokia were going to support/potentially create some of the popular suggestions? Surely thats the way to get the development started - development as it stands is at a complete standstill.

Let me find the post where Quim explains it... helped make sense of it to me.

Edit:
Here it is, at least a start:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=468869&postcount=8

It's a place for ideas to get shaken down and the preferences of the community be made known to facilitate future development. Bug tracker is to developers what brainstorm is for the product managers. But you are right in that what the final solutions actually are, who they come from, and how they come about, is not really defined in brainstorm.

So my first smart *** response is still really the most direct possible product of brainstorm: spark off a little light bulb in the head of someone capable of implementing a solution.

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 22:51.

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
Let me find the post where Quim explains it... helped make sense of it to me.

Edit:
Here it is, at least a start:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=468869&postcount=8

It's a place for ideas to get shaken down and the preferences of the community be made known to facilitate future development. Bug tracker is to developers what brainstorm is for the product managers. But you are right in that what the final solutions actually are, who they come from, and how they come about, is not really defined in brainstorm.

So my first smart *** response is still really the most direct possible product of brainstorm: light a fire under someone capable of solving a problem with the ability to do something about it.
Yeah, but it isnt working - its been a long time in operation and it simply isnt lighting fires. Thats my point. Im not blaming anyone per se, just trying to start a discussion.

So let's go back to the part where you come in then, shall we?

Anyway, this really all belongs in the community forum or brainstorm thread i linked to, and is not a new conversation.

Edit: it's the problem of too many talkers and not enough doers. That seems to be a universal problem, so i'm not sure how we're going to solve it. I would disagree it's not working at all, but perhaps you have some specific cases in mind since you brought it up.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-02 at 23:00.

Tags
brainstorm, bug, community|nokia, dependencies, discussion, improvement, process, sop, workflow