Notices

Poll: Is this application useful to you?
Poll Options
Is this application useful to you?

Posts: 722 | Thanked: 1,223 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ USA
Macuco was created by Paulo Cesar for the N800/N810 and was my favorite way of accessing gmail accounts. I decided to port it to the n900 and along the way tried to add some new features and use as many of the unique UI features on the n900.

Macuco can do much more than access your gmail account, it can give you access to many other web sites optimized for the iphone (google, facebook, twitter, cnn, ...). It is not supposed to replace your current web browser but some times you don't want to see the web site on the n900 like you do on your desktop just because you can! Most web sites optimized for the iphone will give you instant (or quicker) access to the real information you are looking for without many distractions.

Some of the features:
  • portrait and landscape modes
  • fullscreen option
  • bookmarks
  • zoom using volume buttons
  • keyboard shortcuts (Ctr+H:Home, Ctrl+B: Bookmarks, Ctr+G: Go to, Ctr+F: Fullscreen, CTR+O: 100% zoom, CTR+I: adjust zoom factor to match iphone native resolution)
  • homepage with links to (some) web sites optimized for the the iphone.
  • popup menu - not the best but allows you to reload the page, move back or or forward, open link on new window, ...

Please let me know of your comments, suggestions for new features, good web sites ...

IMPORTANT: There are some issues with how the QtWebkit handles input text on Qt4.6: the predictive input has some bugs for input fields. It is specially bad for password fields, making very hard to type them. The best work around until we get Qt4.7 is to type the password somewhere else, copy and paste it on the password field.

Update: There is a new version available from extras-devel that avoids the predictive input bug so you can enter passwords normally.

Last edited by fcrochik; 2010-08-22 at 00:50. Reason: Promoted to extras

The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to fcrochik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 208 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Belgium
do you have screens?

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
Sigh, all the while giving more mindshare to the iphone. It's a sad state that web sites cater to one specific device when it's obvious that the same sites would work on multiple mobile devices.

Please if you use this, take the time to email a few sites that force you to use this program and ask them to make a web site that will work on mobile devices without forcing you to fake being an iphone.

Frank

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
Originally Posted by fcrochik View Post
The macuco port to the n900 was just included on extras-development.

Macuco was created by Paulo Cesar for the N800/N810 and was my favorite way of accessing gmail accounts. I decided to port it to the n900 and along the way tried to add some new features and use as many of the unique UI features on the n900.

Macuco can do much more than access your gmail account, it can give you access to many other web sites optimized for the iphone (google, facebook, twitter, cnn, ...). It is not supposed to replace your current web browser but some times you don't want to see the web site on the n900 like you do on your desktop just because you can! Most web sites optimized for the iphone will give you instant (or quicker) access to the real information you are looking for without many distractions.

Some of the features:
  • portrait and landscape modes
  • fullscreen option