Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#1
Basically I want to make programs for the Nokia 770 and 800 and I know nothing about programming, so is there somewhere I can go and get started with the basic's? Thanks to anyone who answers this!
 
timsamoff's Avatar
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,599 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
#2
Just wondering... Why do you want to begin with legacy devices and not for N900/Maemo 5?

Secondly, what programming language(s) do you currently know? Or, are you starting from scratch?

Tim
__________________
http://samoff.com
 
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#3
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Just wondering... Why do you want to begin with legacy devices and not for N900/Maemo 5?

Secondly, what programming language(s) do you currently know? Or, are you starting from scratch?

Tim
I'm not buying the N900. IF I ever do, it will be a year or more for them to come down in price. I dont have to have the latest in electronics. So you know where I can start?
 
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,509 | Thanked: 3,877 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#4
You can edit your posts... What about the languages that you know?
__________________
Technically, there are three determinate states the cat could be in: Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
 
timsamoff's Avatar
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,599 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
#5
The easiest answer is this:

If you don't know any programming languages, learn something high-level (e.g., Python). If you want your apps to have a GUI, learn GTK+.

If you use these two technologies, you won't even (mostly) need to setup the Maemo SDK, although many people will suggest that you take the time to do so (well, except for khertan, who will tell you to develop your apps on your tablet with his own PyGTKEditor app).

I'd also suggest learning Qt so that you'll have an easier time of porting to Maemo 5+.

If you already know a programming language (C, Ruby, even PHP), there are several methods of creating apps for Maemo 4.

But, alongside all of this advice, you really need to read (and memorize) this:

http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum...on/maemo4.1.x/

Almost everything you need to know is available by clicking on the big DEVELOPMENT button on the top of this page.

Tim
__________________
http://samoff.com

Last edited by timsamoff; 2009-09-09 at 13:11.
 

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timsamoff For This Useful Post:
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#6
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
You can edit your posts... What about the languages that you know?
Computer language??? None.. Need to get started, want to know where to start to make little program for the tablet..
 
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#7
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
The easiest answer is this:

If you don't know any programming languages, learn something high-level (e.g., Python). If you want your apps to have a GUI, learn GTK+.

If you use these two technologies, you won't even (mostly) need to setup the Maemo SDK, although many people will suggest that you take the time to do so (well, except for khertan, who will tell you to develop your apps on your tablet with his own PyGTKEditor app).

I'd also suggest learning Qt so that you'll have an easier time of porting to Maemo 5+.

If you already know a programming language (C, Ruby, even PHP), there are several methods of creating apps for Maemo 4.

But, alongside all of this advice, you really need to read (and memorize) this:

http://maemo.org/maemo_release_docum...on/maemo4.1.x/

Almost everything you need to know is available by clicking on the big DEVELOPMENT button on the top of this page.

Tim
I dont know any language and I want to make it easy on me.. I did not even pay attention to the Develpoment buttom!! I need to say I have a PC with windows and the tablet I'm getting will be the only lynus OS I will have, so I have to make the programs on the Tablet 770 Nokia. I Can Do that?? I thought you could do this po the tablet 770 Nokia? So, I got the PDF manual, where do I go next after the link you left me?

Last edited by cha; 2009-09-10 at 04:08. Reason: adding a sentence
 
Posts: 271 | Thanked: 220 times | Joined on Sep 2009
#8
Originally Posted by cha View Post
Computer language??? None.. Need to get started, want to know where to start to make little program for the tablet..
http://www.python.org/
 

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Agent 770's Avatar
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Wien , Austria
#9
You may try smallBasic. Looks easier for a complete beginner.

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2006/smallbasic/
 
Bundyo's Avatar
Posts: 4,509 | Thanked: 3,877 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
#10
Then when he learns smallBasic, what should he do... start from scratch for the next one?

Better start with a language that's similar to others. Python seems the most likely candidate. I would prefer Vala any day, but with the direction Maemo is going, better stay on a more beaten track.
__________________
Technically, there are three determinate states the cat could be in: Alive, Dead, and Bloody Furious.
 

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Reply

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 20:41.