Is there a portable open standard for exporting contacts? I decided to back up all my contacts from N950, but coming to think of it, how should it be done in the most portable fashion, so they could be imported when needed anywhere later? If for example I decide to install Nemo, I'll need to import contacts back. What format is preferable for the most interoperability between all kind of platforms?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Isn't VCF >=3.0 (4.0) feasible enough? I would export to a certain meta format and import using subsets. I.e. storing as much information as you can in said meta format, and exporting those meta contacts to .vcf (or what ever supported) for importing by a mobile device.

Also i found the Symbian contacts database format much nicer than the N900 addressbook (having almost unlimited item expandability per contact and default numbers adresses etc.). Maybe it's worth to check out http://sites.google.com/site/garawaa/ and using Symbian format too as meta store.

EDIT: This brings me again to the question why the N900 doesn't support (at least) SyncML or even better CalDAV / CardDAV. it was so nice syncing my contacts, notes and calendars on the N73 with scheduleworld.com.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-01-17 at 18:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Thanks, vCard / CardDAV sound like good candidates.

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-01-17 at 19:18.

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement