Active Topics

Just a fyi, I see ruby 1.8 in extras testing. You may not need to compile it. Enable ET and then do an apt-get ruby1.8 and ruby1.8-dev

Nathan

Nathan

Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Just a fyi, I see ruby 1.8 in extras testing. You may not need to compile it. Enable ET and then do an apt-get ruby1.8 and ruby1.8-dev
I have seen that. But, first of all, ruby 1.9 has a sharp increase in performance w.r.t. 1.8. And then, while I am no Gentoo user, I like to compile by myself all key elements that I use for developing. You learn a lot in the process. On my four-core desktop it takes less than a minute to compile Ruby. Even if I were to wait 5 minutes for compiling it on the maemo device, I believe it is time well spent.

Originally Posted by fluido View Post
I have seen that. But, first of all, ruby 1.9 has a sharp increase in performance w.r.t. 1.8. And then, while I am no Gentoo user, I like to compile by myself all key elements that I use for developing. You learn a lot in the process. On my four-core desktop it takes less than a minute to compile Ruby. Even if I were to wait 5 minutes for compiling it on the maemo device, I believe it is time well spent.
Sorry I didn't even know 1.9 was released. More of a c/c++,php, and learning Python type guy. ;-)

I noticed 1.8 because I compiled Swig earlier today for the extras and I was trying to make sure swig supported to all the languages that have been ported so far to the n900/sdk.

Nathan.

Posts: 664 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Australia
hi, as the thread's topic states almost exactly what i was looking for, as ,for some reason, my computer crashed and my first ever project i was working on is in complete halt when just about to finish and that the only device l have now which works is my n810, i, very CURIOUSLY, am wondering if it is, at all, possiible to have those maemo5 sdk and scratchbox on my n810's diablo or with qole's easy-debian installed. thanks.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by realbite View Post
I have set up a build environment on the N900 based on the scratchbox rootstrap and used this to build debian packages on the N900 itself.

anyway since I cannot load the package onto maemo-extras I have put it here if anyone would like to try it out.

deb http://repository.realitybites.eu/ fremantle free
deb-src http://repository.realitybites.eu/ fremantle free
You can upload it to extras-devel which was built explicitly for this type of software. It would be great if you uploaded it there then many more devs might get a chance to see it and use it.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by fluido View Post
Thanks a lot for your message. You solve two of my biggest doubts in one go. As a Linux-only software craftsman since '93, who now uses Ruby for 90% of his work, I find this "phone" now more appealing than ever. I would certainly keep the phone connected to my work PC via USB and access it with SSH while at home. We are talking 32G! I recently worked for a project which reminded me how nimble Linux can be. Kernel plus X plus a couple of apps easily running off a half-a-Gig USB pen. I believe serious development can take place on the phone itself.

Can you give me an idea of how long it took for the compilation of Ruby?

Also, has anybody tried to run X apps on another display? Like, having the SMS management application running on your desktop screen, for example.
I have installed synergy on my N810 and while I have not yet created a package for the N900, I am fairly certain it should just work. The leads me to believe that you can run X on another display.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
You can upload it to extras-devel which was built explicitly for this type of software. It would be great if you uploaded it there then many more devs might get a chance to see it and use it.
I agree, my problem though is that while the X86 version compiles fine, the ARMEL version hangs scratchbox (while running miniruby ) although it compiles fine on the N900 itself. I think that if I upload it onto the build queue for extras-devel that it might cause someone to curse if it hangs the server.

Maybe someone has any idea for some special ARMEL gcc flags that can get the compile through scratchbox ??

deb http://repository.realitybites.eu/ fremantle free
deb-src http://repository.realitybites.eu/ fremantle free
Are you planning on creating Ruby Hildon bindings for Fremantle?

And were you at the summit? I tried to find you and give you a bottle of Salmiakkikossu, but failed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ukki View Post
Are you planning on creating Ruby Hildon bindings for Fremantle?

And were you at the summit? I tried to find you and give you a bottle of Salmiakkikossu, but failed
Thanks, Salmiakkikossu .. that is a new one to me .. yep I was there in the crowd .. sorry I missed you with your bottle ( i think ?).

I have just compiled the gtk+ bindings and am looking at the qt4 bindings at the moment. Seeing that Nokia is heading the QT way I guess that I wont be putting too much energy into the hildon bindings.. but it would be useful still to have many of the osso bindings.

The Following User Says Thank You to realbite For This Useful Post:
I have set up a build environment on the N900 based on the scratchbox rootstrap and used this to build debian packages on the N900 itself.
Can you upload this somewhere?