Active Topics

And the winner is HTC and T-mobile.

Check it out here.

The Following User Says Thank You to seedyburner For This Useful Post:
Does this mean that Android should be releasing the full opensource sdk? I saw that there was a new version v1.0 available.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by seedyburner View Post
And the winner is HTC and T-mobile.

Check it out here.

You have an odd definition of "shipping"... considering that device isn't shipping for at least 25 days.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Sure looks purdy.

Posts: 132 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Portugal
interesting. android and Wimax in 2009:
http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=164578

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wisconsin, USA
I wonder if anyone will release a device like the iPod Touch that runs Android, i.e., wifi but no phone.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by zigzago View Post
I wonder if anyone will release a device like the iPod Touch that runs Android, i.e., wifi but no phone.
sounds really close to the N8x0 tablets XD.
Honestly I would like to see this developed, I already know there will be a full office suite, with office 2007 compatibility, so if it could be run in the N800, I'd almost had what i was looking for in my tablet.
I can't help but to think that android has more momentum than maemo, and i wouldn't mind using both if I can get a better variety of apps.

From what I've seen, I'd guess Google has an advantage in momentum right now, but it's not clear that they can keep it when the N9xx (eventually) comes out -- I think it's going to be seriously awesome, more mainstream than now, and get lots of mindshare. I like Maemo better, I think, but we should wind up with both, as a Google spokesman recently said to expect the Android framework to run atop other mobile Linux efforts.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
From what I've seen, I'd guess Google has an advantage in momentum right now, but it's not clear that they can keep it when the N9xx (eventually) comes out -- I think it's going to be seriously awesome, more mainstream than now, and get lots of mindshare. I like Maemo better, I think, but we should wind up with both, as a Google spokesman recently said to expect the Android framework to run atop other mobile Linux efforts.
I am glad they don't exclude each other... i like maemo, but android is for sure more "popular" right know and stuff like emulators, for example, are more likely to get developed.

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
In addition to that mention of "android layers for other mobile linuxes", here's two other articles to digest:

Android making the jump to cars and homes in 2009

Android on a new Gizmondo Gaming Device?

What I'd like to see:
  • Android somehow supported on a gaming device like OpenPandora (either Android with Pandora extensions, or visa versa), working out how to use the analog joystick(s) as a substitute for the trackball.
  • Android somehow supported on top of Maemo for NITs.
  • An Android based PDA that would be like the G1 without the cell radio (but would include things like the touch screen, native GUI, accelerometers for games that use them, and the trackball instead of a d-Pad), but adding a generic USB Host port (keyboards, game pads, mice, tv-tuners, etc.) and micro-DVI out (with DVI-I). (that way you could use it as a general game console that you can hook up to a TV or monitor, and control with USB game controllers)

I'd also like to see video player support, and a counterpart to the Amazon MP3 store that has TV shows and Movies. With the TV tuner support on the last device, you might also be able to set up something like a light PVR.

Then you've got full competition with iTunes (and thus iPod Touch and iPhone), a dedicated games machine, a general purpose handheld computer that isn't android centric, and a variant of the G1 that is more for PMP and PDA use.

Then imagine the engadget article's full implication:

If you've got a "pandora on top of android" OS instead of "android on top of pandora", then you coul have a set-top box that has gobs of storage, USB ports for tv-tuners and game pads, ability to buy movies and tv shows to watch, and maybe some form of PVR software for it. You could play android and pandora games on it, etc. That'd sound rather interesting to me.

Tags
android