Closed Thread
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
a Council Election is Due in a few weeks, as there been any plans made for the election? Is it even going ahead in these uncertain times?
Yes, it's going ahead. The current Community Council agree that it's more important than ever.

Tim mentions the wheels are in motion in the latest council blog post. Dave Neary, who is no longer contracted by Nokia to work on maemo.org, has kindly agreed to organise the election again.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
I don't know how to finish my seminar thesis.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by amysmith28 View Post
I don't know how to finish my seminar thesis.
Me either.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
Dear Council.

Can you ask Nokia for permission to modified, and redistribute the index.html documents (and maybe other associated files) for Ovi Maps? Or if its not possible, who can I ask for permission who will take the request seriously and not reply back in a year with a "no" after the email has gathered dust.

Additionally... can you ask how ovi maps reads the address database, even what type of database it is, or anything at all...

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
Can you ask Nokia for permission to modified, and redistribute the index.html documents (and maybe other associated files) for Ovi Maps?
I imagine the answer will be "no". However, you can quite simply distribute patches in an Extras package which will be applied to the base files when you install the package. Similar to the approach the CSSU will take for portrait Conversations support:

https://bugs.maemo.org/11976

Additionally... can you ask how ovi maps reads the address database, even what type of database it is, or anything at all...
A URL to a concrete description of the background, the problem domain and the actual technical questions would be useful.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
1. When can we have a cost for the source for the now obsolete maemo 5 operating system?

2. How many times must the above question be asked?

3. How long till the above 2 questions are answered in full?

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I imagine the answer will be "no". However, you can quite simply distribute patches in an Extras package which will be applied to the base files when you install the package. Similar to the approach the CSSU will take for portrait Conversations support:

https://bugs.maemo.org/11976

A URL to a concrete description of the background, the problem domain and the actual technical questions would be useful.
Thanks for the quick reply... wasn't even a few minutes

I shall look at the patch method, but thought It'll be much easier to just redistribute the whole code, given that I doubt they'll use it ever again and its half complete anyway.

As for my question regarding the address database for ovi maps, I've managed to capture the outgoing request to Nokia servers and pass it through my program (changed the url address in Index.html). I wanted my program to read the address database and return the results instead of the Nokia servers, hence providing offline navigation for ovi maps.

Thanks

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Blaizzen View Post
I shall look at the patch method, but thought It'll be much easier to just redistribute the whole code, given that I doubt they'll use it ever again and its half complete anyway.
It would be easier for you, but harder for Nokia in terms of copyright etc. Can a competitor then take it? What about if the same code is used in Symbian^3 and MeeGo Ovi Maps?

As for my question regarding the address database for ovi maps, I've managed to capture the outgoing request to Nokia servers and pass it through my program (changed the url address in Index.html). I wanted my program to read the address database and return the results instead of the Nokia servers, hence providing offline navigation for ovi maps.
I suggest you create a wiki page with even more technical detail, the information you actually require and so on.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
It would be easier for you, but harder for Nokia in terms of copyright etc. Can a competitor then take it? What about if the same code is used in Symbian^3 and MeeGo Ovi Maps?

I suggest you create a wiki page with even more technical detail, the information you actually require and so on.
http://wiki.maemo.org/Ovi_Maps_Offline_Search

Basically... how is nokia's map data structured, and can it be read through a Qt program for the above purpose.

In terms of competitor's taking Nokia's code, its freely visible to anyone with an N900. Hence if a competitor really wanted to see how Ovi Maps worked, it would have bought one and seen the index.html file with all the code. If I had decrypted or cracked their code, or supplied source code for a compiled item, then it would be bad. But given the code is plain javascript, anyone can see it already.

I'm not trying to cause more problems for Nokia by supplying its code (like it needs more problems already), but it seems illogical to restrict us this, given its already visible to everyone. Also, on a related note, in the first original firmware, only the html code had that disclaimer not the javascript (they were separate files).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I figured not to do a new thread but rather ask here, whether or not it's the right place or not. What's wrong with the Downloads? There's a huge amount of "Missing .install" there? Granted, it has been like that only for three days but I was just wondering, since there hasn't (?) been any statement about whether or not it'll be fixed.

Bigger image here.

Imageshack.us
Attached Images

Last edited by rantom; 2011-04-07 at 11:20.

Closed Thread

Tags
council