Active Topics

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
We all know Maemo lacks some quality software [1]
Harmattan has even a much bigger problem. There is a lot of missing software out there.

We have Nokia Store no more.
Share your opinions how to make developers want to write from Fremantle/Harmattan.

Use this https://etherpad.mozilla.org/hlqFjXHJV4 for adding new ideas and this thread for discussion

As for me - the best option would be to community-found the development of crucial projects (such as up to date office suite or browser engine update). OpenRepos support for paid apps might be another solution, but rather for smaller projects.

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...60#post1453560

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Another thought - some sort of organized bounty system, administered by the community?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:
@Copernicus: there's a big problem here: the fees would have to be extremely big because PayPal is really greedy when it comes to their own fees. Or is there any better alternative for paying for the activation codes?

@klinglerware: Yeah, it's similar to what I thought about. And I'm all for this option, as it gives us FOSS and gives the developers their money.

@rzr: you mean we should pay some software companies?

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
@Copernicus: there's a big problem here: the fees would have to be extremely big because PayPal is really greedy when it comes to their own fees. Or is there any better alternative for paying for the activation codes?
Actually, so far as I understand, PayPal takes much less of a cut than the app stores do. (Apple's App Store takes 30% right off the top, plus $100 per year fee to register. Google Play takes the same 30%, but at least has just a one-time $25 registration fee.)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Actually, so far as I understand, PayPal takes much less of a cut than the app stores do. (Apple's App Store takes 30% right off the top, plus $100 per year fee to register. Google Play takes the same 30%, but at least has just a one-time $25 registration fee.)
Yes, but let's take a 2.00 [EUR] app. The user pays 2.00. PayPal takes 0.35 + 0.034 * 2 = 0.42, so 21%

Let's take a 1.00 [EUR] app. This becomes 0.38, so 38%
So for cheap apps it's more than in the other stores

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
So for cheap apps it's more than in the other stores
I believe PayPal has been playing around with a "micropayments" system as well; I don't recall what you need to do to sign up for it, but it drives the per-sale fee back down a bit.

(It seems to be a 5% plus 5 cents kind of deal (US cents), versus the standard lower-percentage + higher-fixed-price deal.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: