hello guys sadly my pooe little n810 wont boot after flashing it with mers "install bootmenu" process i hit enter at the end of the terminal and when it restarted it just came up with the same old nokia logo but no progress bar i turned it off again and on again still nothing but i still would really like to install mer and can i just use nokia "upgrade" thing to restore diablo or do i need to dd something??? plz help!!

Posts: 99 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Tampere, Finland
I have same/similar problem. I used EasyMer yesterday. First I installed boot menu and after that Mer. Unfortunately, when Mer was being downloaded by Mer install, I forgot the whole thing (for hours ) and when I remembered to check the process, the battery was empty and my N810 was off. Battery was quite full so I think the installation finished.

When I loaded the battery and started my tablet, I can get to boot menu by pressing the menu button. If I selected Mer from menu, it starts to load it from external memory card but after a short while, screen goes black and N810 reboots.

I tried to redo the installation process but it didn't help. If you try to start Mer without the external card inserted, the result is exactly the same. Boot menu --> starting from external card --> black screen --> reboot.

Any advice for Linux & tablet n00b?

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Mixu View Post
I used EasyMer yesterday. First I installed boot menu and after that Mer.
ehm, EasyMer and Mer are completely different. If you boot into Mer it's the real Mer, if you chroot from Maemo, you are probably using qoles EasyMer...

Btw, you can get your original bootmenu back by upgrading the firmware, if you have linux on your home-computer you can flash only the bootmenu, not the whole OS so your settings and files are not destroyed.

See:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

if you have linux-computer add "--flash-only=initfs"

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
ehm, EasyMer and Mer are completely different. If you boot into Mer it's the real Mer, if you chroot from Maemo, you are probably using qoles EasyMer...
Sorry, I'm mixing things. I was reading about EasyMer but in the end I used the instructions in here to install. So this should be the real thing, right?

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
Btw, you can get your original bootmenu back by upgrading the firmware, if you have linux on your home-computer you can flash only the bootmenu, not the whole OS so your settings and files are not destroyed.

See:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware

if you have linux-computer add "--flash-only=initfs"
I don't have Linux PC at the moment. I had Ubuntu in my laptop for a while but my laptop broke and my desktop PC is Windows only. The boot menu doesn't bother me since it automatically boots to Diablo.

So how to get Mer running? I need Linux PC to format the card and try again? Or is it better to forget the whole Mer for now and wait till it's finished since it needs more skills that I have? Thanks for advice!

Reformatted the card and installed the Mer again. Looks much better now. Typing this message from Mer

Looking forward the next version!

Tags
boot, flash, mer, problem