Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Boston
Originally Posted by ZoraTheExplora
Hi guys. I just got a 770 a few days ago and updated to OS6. I am confused on how to get the new 2gb MMC card to work. [...] A link to the step by step instructions if they are already written out would be great. If there were a self extracting/installing application/OS patch that I could just install that would be best but I guess that isn't out yet.
I had to poke around a bit to find instructions after getting my 2Gb card. I found instructions at http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_Support2gbmmc and followed them to install the kernel image I got at http://www.freenux.org/~mm/zImage-su-18-200627 . (However, you need to flash the new kernel from a Linux machine; evidently the current Windows and Mac versions of the flasher don’t support replacing just the kernel without replacing the whole flash-ROM image.)

I did this starting from the it2006 image; I don’t know if the 2Gb-capable kernel works with the it2005 image, but I’d be kind of surprised if it did. So if you’re not running it2006 already, I’d recommend you upgrade first. (That will mean backing up all your stuff and replacing it afterwards. However, replacing the kernel with the 2Gb-capable version doesn’t mess anything else up.)

See my reply to ZoraTheExplora above.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Does anyone know if those 2GB cards can be set up for virtual memory (using the built-in 770 procedure)?

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Does anyone know if those 2GB cards can be set up for virtual memory (using the built-in 770 procedure)?
I tried it and it seemed to work fine (after upgrading the kernel). I didn't do any sort of exhaustive memory test to make sure the new swap was actually being written to, though.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by beowabbit
I tried it and it seemed to work fine (after upgrading the kernel). I didn't do any sort of exhaustive memory test to make sure the new swap was actually being written to, though.
Thanks!

Now -- to find a 2GB card in Belgium...

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
A fully-working Windows flasher would sure be nice for those of us stuck in that world... I guess I'm resigned to using 1g cards for now.

Originally Posted by Texrat
A fully-working Windows flasher would sure be nice for those of us stuck in that world... I guess I'm resigned to using 1g cards for now.
Again: VMWare Player and the Ubuntu image work like charms.

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
Again: VMWare Player and the Ubuntu image work like charms.
I'm not familiar with either app, sorry, and as for the "Again" I fail to see where either was mentioned in this thread...???

It was mentioned in another thread I believe. Also, you could could boot into a live linux distro.

Originally Posted by bradpitcher
It was mentioned in another thread I believe. Also, you could could boot into a live linux distro.
Still lost. Been in the Windows world wayyy too long. 15 years since I played with any flavor of Unix...