Notices

An ex-BlackBerry (now Android) friend of mine recently introduced me to LiveProfile (http://www.liveprofile.com/) which is a nice BBM style messenger (it even goes so far as to assign PINs). The application is currently available for Android and iOS, but here is the response I received when inquiring about OS expansion (Maemo, MeeGo, and Symbian):

"We are working on supporting these operating systems soon. We are a bit backed up so we don't have any exact ETA yet. If you know of any Symbian developers be sure to send them our way "

So, that bares the question... Anyone with an understanding of Qt want to contact them?

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crash For This Useful Post:
Because we simply don't have enough IM protocols yet.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
Because we simply don't have enough IM protocols yet.
please name one that enables communication between different branded mobiles, that is reliable and popular... except the sms function of course.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mastac For This Useful Post:
Exactly *sarcasm*. I merely posted this because I've have seen posts of people wanting something similar to BBM. That and for a decent free app that is available on BB/iOS/Android, with a want to expand to others, it could useful for those that want a BBM experience sans BB.

The Following User Says Thank You to Crash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mastac View Post
please name one that enables communication between different branded mobiles, that is reliable and popular... except the sms function of course.
XMPP is popular, ubiquitous, supports voice, messaging and video.

It is extensible and can be made to work with push.

Please stop buying into vendor locked proprietary protocols, and demand standards based messaging.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Vancouver, Canada
I've never used BBM on Blackberrys but i believe the best part about it was to be able to see if the other person has read the message that you sent them (ex. you send a person a message when the recipients are driving, and it's good to know they've received your message).

Live Profile is definitely picking up speed in the Android world, my girlfriend just downloaded it on her Nexus S. I'm assuming it's also becoming very popular for iOS.There's without a doubt that this application will be used widely very soon

Everyone on my facebook is using this now lol dont think ive ever felt so alienated by my phone choice haha. Hope this gets a QT version

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jimmybonsaville For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
1,500 views and only 5 replies.... mmm this is intresting

Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
1,500 views and only 5 replies.... mmm this is intresting
Not really. People can look without having anything to contribute.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Guys i really think that maemo5 developers should perhaps consider porting this app, it sounds really promising. I've been looking for something like this for a while now with no avail. I've been over the whole open vs closed source discussion numerous times, and what i have realized is that users what the option to choose whether open or closed. I would have taken up the challenge but i know nothing about coding

The Following User Says Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post: