Notices

I couldn't find any topic yet for mythtv client for N900 and Maemo 5.

There was previously a working version for Diablo
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mtv/ but it lost development activity but was already a very usable. As mythtv is also based on Qt it would easy to port and probably already done but it should also include a feature for streaming and encoding to proper resolution so that you could watch live or recorded videos, listen music etc remotely and even through 3g connections from home.

Anyone else interested?

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by chomber View Post
I couldn't find any topic yet for mythtv client for N900 and Maemo 5.

There was previously a working version for Diablo
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mtv/ but it lost development activity but was already a very usable. As mythtv is also based on Qt it would easy to port and probably already done but it should also include a feature for streaming and encoding to proper resolution so that you could watch live or recorded videos, listen music etc remotely and even through 3g connections from home.

Anyone else interested?
Man that would have so much COOL factor.

Myth is already indespencible to me, being able to just watch on the Move would be so unnecessary but so so cool

And 0.22 has just been released ....with Qt4
Open SuSE 11.2 just round the corner

Yay Christmas has come early

Mike C

There is actually another port for 0.21 done by Yani
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=mythtv

Let's hope people gets things rolling makes another port for mythtv 0.22 and Maemo 5 soon.

Some Eye Candy on latest 0.22 release

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O747Eo4UlLA

Mike C

What is Mythtv?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I hear XMBC is coming to the N900, and though I don't use either (I'm a Windows Media Center junkie...) I happen to think XMBC has a better interface.

The Following User Says Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Originally Posted by romanianusa View Post
What is Mythtv?
A post to test the mettle of even the calmest Maemo Greeter?

Media Centre software for Linux.

www.mythtv.org
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

The Following User Says Thank You to dormant For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
I hear XMBC is coming to the N900, and though I don't use either (I'm a Windows Media Center junkie...) I happen to think XMBC has a better interface.
XBMC (spelled like this, used to be short for Xbox Media Center as it was originally made for the first Xbox hardware) and Mythtv are NOT comparable. Mythtv is the ultimate home DVR system with all sorts of cool features plus streaming capabilities, scheduling from a web page etc. Americans might understand it best if I just say it's "tivo on steroids". XBMC on the other hand is a very nice media center software for watching videos, listening to music, playing emulators etc. Sure, both are used for watching videos, but it's like comparing Windows Media Center to Windows Media Player. Different things.

Mythtv actually consists of a frontend (program to watch recordings) and a backend (a server with tuner cards etc.). The idea would be to get a frontend to work on the N900, so you could use it as your own little television, making connections to your backend server. There used to be a basic program for N810 that actually allowed you to watch recordings and even live tv, I forget its name now, but it wasn't a full fronttend. Anyway, it was neat, I set it up once, but it somewhat buggy. The proper frontend port for the N810 never really worked properly, I think the hardware just isn't good enough for it, frankly. If the N900 were to get a fully functional Mythtv frontend, it might make my plan to wait for the Maemo 6 device a bit harder...

Mythtv is very, very cool. I've been running it for years. XBMC is very nice too, I have an old Xbox with it, use it as a media center at the family summer place. Perfect little thing for its use, watching videos and playing old emulator games.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Oh man im such a Linux Numpy, ive failed to work out what version of Myth im running. Not that i plan to upgrade soon as every time ive upgraded or made some such change i end up without it for 3-4 days and man i just cant live like that. I need it every day.

Back in the Day i used to have 2+ video recorders set up, checking the listing daily. Now i let myth do all the hard work.

And linux is just so cool. that My mate in the States, was on Holiday , and set up a program to record on my box in the UK, and then copied said program back to his house in the US.

Still id love to see myth stuff for the phone.
Though i dont think my Myth box is powerfull enough to rescale the programs to a small enough file to stream over limited data of about 1G a month. Given that 1h is usualy about 1G

As if i wasnt excited enough, but myth on top.

In case you havent worked it out myth is my FAVORITE geek thing ever

Tags
encoding, maemo 5, mobile, mythtv, streaming