Active Topics

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City

This comment was originally submitted here by denywinarto on 5 July, 2010 on the official Meego Site on a post titled "MeeGo Handset Project Day 1 is Here" were they introduced a road map for the Meego Mobile User Interface.

Originally Posted by denywinarto View Post
I'm personally a bit dissapointed,
Multitasking is the main reason i chose N900 over other phones..

Maemo 5 is definitely the best handset OS in terms of multitasking,
Even though it's lacking some basic functions you see on other phones..

And i was hoping Meego could fix the disadvantages of Maemo 5,
BUT still retain its advantages..
Because i have faith in Meego Device and i'm definitely gonna buy one someday..
But with this UI?
What makes me and other consumers choose this?
when there's a bunch of Android devices out there with similar UI?

It's still beta i know,
that's why i hope you guys change your mind..
This is supposed to be Maemo/Moblin hybrid...
Not Android/IOS Hybrid

This comment reflects my own options so much that I could help but re-posting it here for the community to discus. If Nokia makes a Meego device running a UI like this than they might as well just start making android devices cause this is looking like it is going to suck big time. Another wanna be iphone UI like the OG poster said. WTF?!?! Maemo 5's UI is so kick *** . . . Nokia just needs to finish tweaking it and come out with a FLEET of devices both mobile and tablet. Both high end to low end that are running it Maemo and they would murder the game.

When I use Maemo it feels like I am using the future of TOUCH SCREEN COMPUTING . . . ipad is cool with it's sexy little UI and BIG screen but the multi-tasking capabilities in Maemo are not only sexy the provide much needed possibility for much more productivity.

If Nokia doesn't turn "THEIR" Meego Mobile Devices in the direction of Maemo 6 than I hope somebody picks up the Mer Source and builds some more kick *** mobiles and tablets with it because that UI is too good to let it go to waste.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
I'm positively 100% sure you will be able to change the look of the UI in Meego. Just look at the options in your standard Linux desktop..

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
This is the UI from the MeeGo guys, I'm sure, if you buy a Nokia phone with MeeGo, they won't just put this on it. They will use the experience with Maemo to improve the UI.

Originally Posted by barzam View Post
I'm positively 100% sure you will be able to change the look of the UI in Meego. Just look at the options in your standard Linux desktop..
Originally Posted by slartibartfass View Post
This is the UI from the MeeGo guys, I'm sure, if you buy a Nokia phone with MeeGo, they won't just put this on it. They will use the experience with Maemo to improve the UI.
I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY hope so

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Switzerland
I mean, since MeeGo is open source, what are they actually going to sell us? Only the hardware? I don't think so.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
we can always hope and dream..

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by slartibartfass View Post
I mean, since MeeGo is open source, what are they actually going to sell us? Only the hardware? I don't think so.
If something is Open source, it doesn't mean that it's for free

Normally it means that you charge for supporting the free (as in beer) software. In Nokia's case creating a good and well-liked OS is a major selling point for their hardware so it's a different situation.

Originally Posted by barzam View Post
Normally it means that you charge for supporting the free (as in beer) software. In Nokia's case creating a good and well-liked OS is a major selling point for their hardware so it's a different situation.
off topic a bit but . . . even tho Meego is open source . . . almost ANY DEVICE running it will have closed drives and apps running on it . . . just like the nvidia drivers in ubuntu linux . . . they are closed . . . you can use them so long as you use them with a nvidia grafics chip but you can't edit / improve them and you can't try to use them on a non nvidia chipset . . .

Same BS with Android . . . the base OS is open but hardware manufacturs still have to make the drivers for the **** to work and the phones ship with a bunch of apps that are closed AKA Gmail Youtube Google Maps . . . ect

That's why Maemo not on a Nokia Device isn't Maemo at all it is Merr.

Mer doesn't even have a basic phone dialing app . . . it is just the OS, the App Manager and a terminal. No phone No Music Player No Web Browser nada.

Although Firefox is Free and I think they is an alternative Music Player . . .

for a company to pick up Mer and start building they would need to develop thier own phone app, drivers for the gsm and sim antenna, wifi functions ect.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post:
Pre-Alpha MeeGo for Tablets Preview looks pretty cool!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lncfZ...layer_embedded

The Following User Says Thank You to mrebanza For This Useful Post: