Man I got thinking the other day. How cool would it be if Nokia bought WebOS and used its patent-portfolio and rich software to really make MeeGo outstanding but Open. And got thinking that all N-series would run on Symbian_4 and that Nokia would start a new line the P-series (where the Perfection is the motto). And advertise and release it before Xmas '10.

Then I got thinking, that would be sweet ... but how much better it would be is Google took the same approach MeeGo is taking (desktop linux slimmed down and tweeked for mobile use with vast cross-platform quality and native access) but with their own additions like Google Maps, Goggles, Flash 10 etc. Then it would be three steps a better platform, and one that has the giant corporate backing to gain massive support.

ahh!

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
Clearly you've never used Android. The only thing close to that it has is that it brings up a list of icons of recently used apps when you hold down the home key.

It's closer to WebOS.
I did have an andorid., HTC Magic, but sold it and bought my N900 so yes I know about that OS.

Also tried write som app in Google:s "java" (yes I know there has happen alot since 1.5) and it was not my favorite development enviroment or language for sure. Meego and Maemo is better on this, but what i meant was the some of the Meego UI. When I looked at some screenshoits it looked to mush like android imho.

Also the icons looks like some "ten year old kid" has done them. So Ii the feature to make meego/nokia smarthphones for the then year old kids or what :-O

So to the Meego/nokia engiiners: Dont try to make an android clone to just to think "android people will come back and use our phones instead if we just make a copy/paste" cause if they go that way they will probadly loose all other customers instead.

I bought my N900 for this reasons:

1. Nokia knows hardware better than HTC/Google (Many has whined about N900 is bad phone but my HTC Magic was even more bad on that point)

2. More open platform than Android

3. Google to much "worddominate" of cause there is good stuff done by Google but still to mush Google gives me some kind of a warning...

I hope Nokia will do better smartphones/embeddedcomputers in the future and N900 was a bit in "right direction" even if its buggy as phone, but if they start to make a android clone I will not buy nextphone for sure...

I hope I am wrong on Meego but atm. I am a little affraid it is a go backward instead of forward. I mean N900 and Maemo has some fails but alot in that Maemo OS is better than todays other Mobile OS like Iphone, Andoid and Symbian :-) So keep going in "Maemoforward" direction in Meego.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2010-07-27 at 15:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
That has nothing to do with the plain fact that MeeGo's multitasking is absolutely nothing like Android's multitasking, aside from the ability to have processes run in the background.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I got no answer here for my question as several weeks before at the meego forum.

So I'm gone the rigorous way and filled a bug against this to get a clear answer: task switcher - stacked view is always the default view

Please vote at this Bug report if you want to get updates about the solution without creating noise and post only if you have to contribute anything helpful.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 42 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Kuwait
Hope they fix it! I don't think it's a hard thing to do!

I think that's why maemo is such a great os, much better than android or ios, I think meego shouldn't fall away from thae maemo tree...

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I'm gone the rigorous way and filled a bug against this
So, small update. We have made a small success: Link

We're working on the implementation at the moment. Correctly working version
should be in master branch in git no later than end of next week (3.9.).

Note: The Version and hence the Target is set explicit to 1.1. So, don't expect maemo5 style task switching at the N9 meego-harmattan device. To ensure to get this feature wait for the successor of the N9 or a clear statement by Nokia that N9 Meego 1.0 will be updated to Meego 1.1 with full support.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York City

Note: The Version and hence the Target is set explicit to 1.1. So, don't expect maemo5 style task switching at the N9 meego-harmattan device. To ensure to get this feature wait for the successor of the N9 or a clear statement by Nokia that N9 Meego 1.0 will be updated to Meego 1.1 with full support.
DAMN so thier you have it NO MULTITASKING in MEEGO 1.0 . . . fingers crossed for 1.1 . . .

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by mrebanza View Post
DAMN so thier you have it NO MULTITASKING in MEEGO 1.0 . . . fingers crossed for 1.1 . . .
MeeGo 1.0 came out already (6 months ago?). Next one is 1.1 in october.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto

If Nokia keeps his policy 1 OS for each device i wont buy their phones again. MeeGo 1.2 will be in 2011? and then what? new phone again?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011