Installer doesn't allow You to use dedicated partition - You need to do it manually.

Background story - when qole created it for the first time, repartitioning was considered hi-tech topic (which was a little exaggerated, to say at least - repartitioning using GUI linuxboxes busted this myth), so he focused totally on using Ed via image file.

To be honest, preparing correct partition layout is one of easiest things, that "power user" can do - I wonder, if adding support for dedicated partitions (i.e., automatically extract image content there, as bonus step for installer) would be much hassle to add into installer?

qole, what do You think? Of course, it would be 100% optional.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
@Estel

worst thing happened to me.I wanted to re partition my emmc and 16 GB sd card.I started with making a live usb of Gparted since I could not un mount FAT partition of N900 from my installed Gparted in my computer.

Before that I read a wiki about partitioning.It suggested to have backupmenu.so I installed that and backed up root and opt.Booted gparted and it could see the partitions on emmc.

Then I did silly,funny partitioning.I gave 3GB for ED and called it debian,3GB with a lable home,768Mb as linux swap.I gave the lables on Gparted only.

In case of sd card I have allocated 1GB space for linux swap.

It was a successful operation until I realized that I could not back up any thing from backupmenu.Then it went into reboot loop.I had to flash it.That was not a problem since I have downloaded image with me always.

After that the first thing I did was to install rootsh.It installed flawless but I could not upgrade it because I dont have enough memory to upgrade it. I could not understand what df -h gave me nor can paste it since I dont have ssh.In the settings menu it told me I have literally 1 KB available.I wanted to have 3 GB available for installable applications and ended up with 1 KB.

I am ready to flash a hundred times.Do I need a backupmenu again?If so how can I install that with my great partitioning scheme?

Please save me from this partitioning trap.

Last edited by udaychaitanya16; 2012-02-02 at 19:11.

1. Start device in backupmenu mode
2. connect it to gparted live [whatever] and select (on device) "mass-storage mode: read&write".
3. You should see your partition scheme in gparted. Check what5 went wrong, and re-repartition it, when appropriate.

Remember, that You can only restore backupmenu backups for same kernel version, as one that was on device, when You created backup. So, if You backuped with kernel-power from -devel, be sure to install it, before trying to restore backup.

In worst case, You can flash everything (including vanilla eMMC layout), and try repartitioning again.

Also, keep in mind, that You should not use ext4 for home partition, if You're not using kernel-power *and/or* You don't know how to modify backupmenu to work with it. In such case, stay with ext3, You aren't losing much.
---

This is quite off-topic here, so in case of further problems, please find similar thread, or, if such one is lacking, create Your own, them drop me a link to it via PM. I'll be glad to help, but not in ED thread.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@impeham
Well, i didn't did *anything* to enable flash. It should work out of the box... I use tweakflashversion (from Maemo) to "cheat" sites, that I use flash 10 - no idea, if it is relevant, or not. It was working (for me) with Iceweasel on old image, and it's working in Chromium same way.

[...]
For me it doesn't work from Chromium, it consitently gives me the error:

"the following plug-in has crashed: /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libdebianflashplayer.so"

The Following User Says Thank You to maartenmk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 140 | Thanked: 369 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Ituzaingo, Argentina
Originally Posted by maartenmk View Post
For me it doesn't work from Chromium, it consitently gives me the error:

"the following plug-in has crashed: /usr/lib/browser/plugins/libdebianflashplayer.so"
I can confirm this, i can't reproduce videos with chromium. "about: plugins" reports that i have the 9.0 r31 version (usr/lib/browser/plugins/libdebianflashplayer.so).

in maemo, i use tweakflashversion on the default pr1.3 libflashplayer.so, using the 10.1.64 (froyo version) i can reproduce videos perfectly with microb.

is there any way to replace the libdebianflashplayer.so with the libflashplayer.so i have in maemo? i tried with a symlink. it doesn't work, but i have not skills and i've just started with easydebian (i don't even know where all my confs are saved, and i really made a lot of mods, like installing icons, themes and a few chrome plugins, no idea where they are saved tho)

can we just update the debian flashplayer? or replace the default .so? i guess that libdebianflashplayer.so comes inside the img so replace it would be useless or at least not permanent, just asking, i don't want to start another flash 10.1 epic thread

The Following User Says Thank You to Harick For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Bulgaria, Varna
Hello, friends.

Seems that the installation on dedicated partition has to be done manually. Could someone help me with some additional info what I need to do/read. If there is such a information just give me the link and I will read/study it. Then if I have question I will ask, otherwise I will just do it and will post the result/problems I met.
Regards

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2579

One page ago...
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Estel,

Can you estimate how much was the performance gained by using a dedicated swap partition for debian and installing debian image to a dedicated partition?

i assume you made both on the microSD card (class 10?) - is that right?

i currently mount the image file from the internal MyDocs and not using another swap partition for debian - chromium is not working so smooth but reasonable - if the change in performance is significant i would do it your way.

Thanks for your hard and contributing work!

[EDIT]
i just made a simple test and moved the debian image file to the SD card (i am using class 10) and mounted it from there.
just by doing so, performance is about doubled with all debian applications - libreoffice, gimp and chromium - much much better!

Last edited by impeham; 2012-02-03 at 19:11.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
1. Mount (empty) dedicated partition that You've just created
2. Mount Your ED image (mount -o loop /path/to/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 /path/to/mountpoint)
3. cp -a /path/to/image/file/mountpoint/* /path/to/partition/mountpoint/
4. Edit /home/user/.chroot,

1.mounted dev/mmcblk0p4
Code:
mount -o loop /home/user/MyDocs/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 /media/ed
"ed"is my mount point
3.This got my nerves out.what idid is
Code:
 cp -a /dev/mmcblk0p4/ /media/ed
4.edited .chroot directing to /dev/mmcblk0p4

When I started the debian lxde its a failure.What wrong am I doing there.

Last edited by udaychaitanya16; 2012-02-03 at 20:40.

I guess you want to copy the estel-image to mmcblk0p4?

First mount the image and the partition mmcblk0p4 to a directory:
Code:
mount -o loop /home/user/MyDocs/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 /media/ed

mkdir /mnt/debian-tmp
mount /dev/mmcblk0p4 /mnt/debian-tmp
Then your copy command should look like this:
Code:
 cp -a /media/ed/* /mnt/debian-tmp/
With your command above, you copy from (empty?) mmcblk0p4 to the mounted ed-image.
----> the general principle is alwas: cp <-opt> <source> <destination>
You can also copy/backup directly from partition (mmcblkXpY) to image file and verse visa with dd.

Example:
Code:
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p4 of=/home/user/MyDocs/part0p4.ext3
Code:
dd if=/home/user/MyDocs/part0p4.ext3 of=/dev/mmvblk0p4

Last edited by eight; 2012-02-03 at 23:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eight For This Useful Post:

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze