Posts: 21 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Czechia
I still have a working Arch on my N900 and I would like, someday, to make it an official (or at least recognized) platform of Arch Linux ARM.

I also dream about rebasing Maemo on top of Arch because I want to keep using my two N900s (I want no other device unless they become unusable), but with a recent userspace. I prefer Arch over other distros for its rolling-release nature and simplicity (the way its packages are put together with just PKGBUILDs, it's a breeze).

Does anyone still have a backup of repositories from http://alarm-n900.org/? If not, I think I could retrieve at least a part of them from my /var/cache/pacman/pkg and maybe setup my own repository (plus a Git repo with PKGBUILDs so anyone can join).

For now, I started to mirror ArchLinuxARM-N900-2013.02-rootfs.tar.gz from the first post, which was still available from the second link (the FTP one). As a first thing (once I find more time) I want bring Arch to my second N900 and offer an updated howto or rootfs so this project lives on.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
would be interested in this as planning on installing..

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tcbl50 For This Useful Post:
Cool :-)

I am (slowly) uploading the package cache to what will become a repository (once I learn how to set it up, should be easy).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 204 | Thanked: 754 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Whoa, someone still using this? I think I might have the full repository and rootfs still in my dropbox.

However..

Things have really changed since 2013. Upstream kernel is in very good condition for N900 nowadays. You can just build your own and grab the official Arch ARM rootfs and off you go without any external repositories. Scripts etc. from my packages can be used as an example if all the stuff they did was not documented anywhere (I can't remember anymore).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Also, feel free to continue from where we left things at https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900. I might join you if my N900 still works.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Oh hi, Skry! :-)

I just thought I would give my poor website some real usage, not sure if the 1,4G cache will even fit there (I would upload only the latest/working versions then) :-D I just wanted to dump it there to have a backup and get things started without any digging further for now (but there sure are many gems in this topic!).

I am aware of a lot of work that went into the kernel from (at least) pali's side (and I am very thankful!) so I'll try to build a more recent kernel for sure.

The actual OMAP rootfses from the mirror you originally pointed us to don't look familiar to me but maybe ArchLinuxARM-armv7-latest.tar.gz would work? Its name sounds too general. I'll see with my second N900.

Originally Posted by Skry View Post
Also, feel free to continue from where we left things at https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900. I might join you if my N900 still works.
Wow, I totally overlooked your Git repositories! I thought I had starred one in the past but these are new to me. I appreciate them a lot, thank you!

Basically, if you think you could give pointers to the most important resources (such as your Dropbox, I must be blind?) once again (from the top of the head, excluding the links in the first post), I would be glad. But I should be able to find out myself what is missing from my system once I finish the fresh installation. I'm looking forward to creating a 2016 Arch Linux ARM-N900 status page :-)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
@lenoch Here's the dropbox link https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a3wqcwkun...RauvsdGGa?dl=0.
Let me know if you want/need a tarball of everything.

I remember not having the time to put everything I wanted to github. I'll take a look at my N900 memory card and stuff scattered around my hdd if I find anything. Might take a while though.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
I downloaded the contents of your Dropbox as a 104 MB zip and I'll try to mirror it as well.

Don't worry, I am in no hurry now I guess I'll have to give each package some time to try it out and document what worked or whether I couldn't figure out what to do.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lenoch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lenoch View Post
I guess I'll have to give each package some time to try it out and document what worked or whether I couldn't figure out what to do.
Most questions and troubles are probably answered already in this (huuuge) thread. Also, there's some info in here https://github.com/archlinuxarm-n900/alarm-n900/wiki.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Hungary
I'm also interested in this project as well

Altough I don't have much time, but I think I could help you with testing.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PanzerSajt For This Useful Post: