Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
http://www.electronista.com/articles...one.next.week/

So the Nokia n8 is coming out as the next in the Nseries. What was surprising is that that it will be running symbian. Maybe I am mistaken, but I seem to remember Maemo being the 'platform' for Nokias high end devices.

So I have two questions: Has anything changed? and What do we think it means?

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
There's no need to kill off Symbian. There's space for both Symbian and Maemo at Nokia. They serve different purposes. What I think is that in future Symbian and Maemo will start looking more alike.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
in addition to confirming phones like the C3 and C5 as well as the organization into the new C, E, X and N devices, it adds a fifth category, the S series. This would be limited to "very high end" and special edition phones.
................... ^^
xD

/cryptic message

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
What do we think it means?
Nokia is bringing it this year for high end touch smartphones(Symbian and Maemo)

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
There's no need to kill off Symbian. There's space for both Symbian and Maemo at Nokia. They serve different purposes. What I think is that in future Symbian and Maemo will start looking more alike.
I don't want symbian to go away - I have had great experiences with it, But I dont want it to converge with Maemo - I like think maemo has the potential to be richer and more robust over the long term - and not some interim strategy.

It makes me think that there has to be a distinct product pathway with Maemo vs. Symbian ^3 or ^??

any clues on what that will be - ?

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
I don't want symbian to go away - I have had great experiences with it, But I dont want it to converge with Maemo - I like think maemo has the potential to be richer and more robust over the long term - and not some interim strategy.

It makes me think that there has to be a distinct product pathway with Maemo vs. Symbian ^3 or ^??

any clues on what that will be - ?
It is already converging with maemo. Some of the new stuff in n900 has been ported from symbian and now symbian has been open sourced so expect that trend to continue. As soon as nokia put a cellular radio in a maemo device, most folks are gonna want most all symbian type phone features on there and it is happening slowly.

the pathways will be converged in that nokia is aiming for qt cross-platform compatibility next year so developers can create a program and it will work on either.

Not sure yet if nokia is aiming to converge all devices onto one OS or not, but I doubt it, their stratified OS strategy has served them well so far

The Following User Says Thank You to quipper8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Maemo is not ready for super high-end its still lacking features of the lowest end symbian phones.
Both Symbian and Maemo will share the high-end in the future but as it stands only thing maemo holds over Symbian is high-end chip sets but we will see same chips sets in some of Nokias Symbian devices so that will cancel that out.
The S series will probably be high-end as in this kind of rubbish http://shop.nokia.co.uk/nokia-uk/pro...&culture=en-GB

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-02-11 at 15:50.

damn... this phone seems cool until now.
Waiting for the announcement to see what it's all about

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
First render of the next Nokia device

Expected to be out in Q4

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by maluka View Post
First render of the next Nokia device

<snip>

Expected to be out in Q4
Oh now THAT is slick!