Active Topics

Hi guys,

Qgil confirmed that the Fm transmitter/receiver hardware exists on the N9.

However there is no software to reach it. So no guarantees as to whether it can be done.

Post here

http://forum.meego.com/showthread.php?t=3598&page=15

Some comfort to those maybe who are looking for this.

============

Someone asked about FM radio. Hartti already answered but let me confirm that from a pure hardware description point of view there is both FM RX and TX inside. As far as I know nobody has tried to reach them, so I don't know how that road would be from an R&D experimentation point of view.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I would say, its not easy since nokia has ignored it. Just a guess...

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
why wud they have the hw but no sw? good ol' nokia

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
I would say, its not easy since nokia has ignored it. Just a guess...
remember that n900 didnt have official support for fm from start my guess is they wanted to focus on more important stuff first

so it shouldnt be that hard is my guess

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Lets hope you are right and i'm wrong. Would have been the first time

But this is a consumer device, targeting another customer base.
n900 was never ready for the masses.

It's all relative. A couple of years ago the N900 was supposed to be the "consumer device" and the N8x0s were "never ready for the masses". Three years before that, the N800 was the consumer device that was replacing the geek-oriented 770.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by lma View Post
It's all relative. A couple of years ago the N900 was supposed to be the "consumer device" and the N8x0s were "never ready for the masses". Three years before that, the N800 was the consumer device that was replacing the geek-oriented 770.
Actually, none of them were ever considered ready for the masses, according to Nokia. That's part of what that step x out of 5 was about. Now the N9 is just a tech playground.

The bottom line: one excuse after another, and anemic support from Nokia.

None of that Steve Jobs "this is the best thing the world has ever seen" rhetoric for Nokia.

Nokia has just been setting itself up for failure all along. Too bad. Its products are better than the company.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Just because some of the hardware is present, it does not mean it is functional or can be made functional.

I believe someone mentioned that they believed that the same component comprised bluetooth/FMRX/FMTX hardware, & that only the bluetooth was being used.

If there is no connection from that component to other significant components, or if other significant components are missing, for instance connection to an to FM antenna for transmission, software will not produce it as a useable feature.

until you try no one knows

i never even thought that someone would get HEN on N900, but here we are.

I'll see if I can get some more details on this. It will take some time though as my contacts are OoO right now :-(
(it is mid-summer in Finland after all...)

Hartti

The Following User Says Thank You to hartti For This Useful Post: