Originally Posted by 9000 View Post
Hi there. I didn't mean to give you riddle that would eventually waste your time. I only gave you the direction as that method requires you to spend considerable amount of time to research, especially on the rooting and kernel part. If you're not going for this direction, probably you don't need it. That was what I thought when giving you instructions so brief.
Thanks, and you were right, I don't need this enough to take the time and trouble... The tablet is not mine anyway, and if I ever buy one for myself, now I know what to watch out for (no Samsung :-).

Besides, there is in fact a pretty good paid-app PDANet that could make your Android a decent tethering hub without rooting it. You'd like to get a trial version to test. Hope this helps.
I had seen this app in the Market during my initial research when I still thought it was going to be simple, fast and easy :-)
My understanding after a quick look is that it allows tethering *to* an Android device through its Internet connection, which is the opposite of what I wanted to do. Or does it actually work both ways ?...

Another story on wifi tethering and the Galaxy Tab:

There is a new version of the Tab, which has no 3G but Wifi only. It has also some slightly different hardware, another processor and graphic chip.

This tab is sold for around 300US$, a really good deal for a 7'' tab.

But read on...!

As it has no 3G, it must connect to a wifi hotspot. This works with normal wifi routers, but it does NOT work with phones which only support "adhoc" wifi. Like all Nokia phones.

While some hackers found a solution for the 3G-Tab - basically rooting and exchange some file - this solution does not work with the Wifi-Tab due to the different hardeware and software.

So you have a Wifi-only tablet which cannot tether via Bluetooth and cannot tether via adhoc-wifi.

I just wonder, were this "Android hype" comes from. My "outdated" Symbian phone can do all those things without any hacking.

Hi guys! I read thru and still get confused. Sorry for the noob irritance!

I have my trusty n900 and it has been tweaked. Running at 750ghz.

My problem is, I just bought a Samsung galaxy tab P1010 7inch and apparently is does not support Ad-Hoc without rooting it (i want to avoid that) as my n900 has hotspot and it worked with an ipad.

So i dont understand the steps to take to get PAN BT working. Can someone point me to the right direction?

Sorry again and thanks.

EDIT:
But my "WIFI only" Tab can see my friends hotspot via his iphone4. How is possible?

Last edited by rsaged; 2011-07-28 at 07:14.

any one can help? im still searching for a solution but always end up at a dead end.

Originally Posted by rsaged View Post
...But my "WIFI only" Tab can see my friends hotspot via his iphone4. How is possible?
The n900 wifi hotspot runs in ad-hoc mode. Most android devices ship with only the ability to see wifi networks in infrastructure mode. I don't believe anyone has successfully gotten the n900 to support infrastructure mode. Try looking up info on getting your tab to support recognizing ad-hoc wifi networks on xda if you are looking to go the wifi route--it could be someone as easy as a file push or something as bad as a custom rom.

In terms of getting bluetooth-pan to work, from the little bit of testing that was done on this thread, it seems like pre-honeycomb versions of android doesn't have that built-in. You could look into seeing if someone has created support for it or ported a version of honeycomb. The 3.2 version of honeycomb that just came out is supposed to support 7" tablets, I believe...

Originally Posted by jschan View Post
The n900 wifi hotspot runs in ad-hoc mode. Most android devices ship with only the ability to see wifi networks in infrastructure mode. I don't believe anyone has successfully gotten the n900 to support infrastructure mode. Try looking up info on getting your tab to support recognizing ad-hoc wifi networks on xda if you are looking to go the wifi route--it could be someone as easy as a file push or something as bad as a custom rom.

In terms of getting bluetooth-pan to work, from the little bit of testing that was done on this thread, it seems like pre-honeycomb versions of android doesn't have that built-in. You could look into seeing if someone has created support for it or ported a version of honeycomb. The 3.2 version of honeycomb that just came out is supposed to support 7" tablets, I believe...

Thanks for the reply. It appears that i will need to Root my tab in order to get it to work. Something i was trying to avoid.

Oh well, guess i will get to it when i get myself more accustomed to android.

After playing with it now for 4 days, i find that my N900 is soooo much nicer to use (not taking the screen's resolution etc.). Rooting, flashing etc made simple by u guys!

Tags
hacking, scamdroid, tethering