Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by shanti View Post
Hi, qole! This is really amazing job! Thank you!
But, I have little question: can you make same image, but without OpenOffice, Firefox and Gimp? I think, some users, like me, dont really want this massive applications, but rather just need access to Debain repository.
There already is a "minimum debian rootfs" package, you can make a image file, and extrat minimum rootfs to it. Then you can install only the packages that you want.

So, I take it removing this is as simple as just uninstalling the package, and deleting the HD image from your flash drive?

Yes, although you need to make sure the image file is not in use before removing it. "Close Debian" from the menu should do this (run before uninstalling), but the easy, ******ed way to make sure is to reboot after uninstalling the package and before deleting the image.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Easy Debian Without The Apps:

For those who want the only the basic Debian system, you can do things manually. "Easy Debian" without the "Easy"
Here is my minimum Debian file system: basic-debian-chroot-fs.tar.bz2 (54MB download)

This is the filesystem I used to build the current Easy Debian package on. It has all of the repositories and basic system packages in place.

You can either put this into a partition, or you can grab the empty image file, extract it to your SD card (eg, /media/mmc1), and then, as root, mount it like so (so you get the turbo speed):
Code:
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-mod.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/dm-loop.ko
dmlosetup loop0 /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
mount -t ext2 /dev/dm-0 /debian -o noatime
You can then (still as root) untar the basic Debian rootfs into the /debian directory. Make sure you run closechroot before using "sudo debian," "debbie," or the "Debian chroot" menu icon. Otherwise you might end up with an incomplete chroot.

REMOVING THE IMAGE FILE:

I strongly recommend rebooting the tablet before deleting the image file. From the problems I've been seeing, I think my "Close Debian" menu icon (or "sudo closechroot" command), which worked so well before, is insufficient for the new turbo loop method (see the mount commands above). I will try to remedy this problem in future releases, but that isn't going to help those who wish to purge their SD card of this file, but instead end up needing to reformat...

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-14 at 17:51.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I get a "LXDE is not responding. Close application?" pop-up now and then...
Others for this? Remediation welcome.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by tolou View Post
I get a "LXDE is not responding. Close application?" pop-up now and then...
Others for this? Remediation welcome.
See the FAQ on the first post:

Q: I get an error box: "LXDE is not responding, Cancel / Ignore"! What do I do?

A:
This is an annoying but harmless error which usually happens when you switch to LXDE from OS2008. Just select "Cancel". When you switch to LXDE, wait a second for this error to come up; if you don't, you might accidentally select "OK" and close the whole thing!

I would love to get rid of this, too, but it seems to be a side effect of using Bundyo's nifty little window opener. Now that Easy Debian is in Extras, and I can use dependencies, I might go back to my Python window opener.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-14 at 18:02.

I don't know how bundyo made the C program.. but if he makes it "do" something instead of just hang waiting for a command finish.. like print "dots" to no where.. or just a while ($i) loop and watch the process manually in the program.. it should drop that message.

What I think is happening is Bundyo is running a System call that is hanging and just waiting for the command to stop before closing... so Maemo thinks the App is hung, not knowing it was designed that way. I don't recall if Bundyo uploaded the source code.. I never looked at it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
The source is posted around here, but 'tis actually Vala, rather than C...

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
I see that this release uses It's own modmap.
Now I can't use TAB by chr+space combo. What's the difference? Maybe I could define my own especially for usb keyboard?

Originally Posted by XTC View Post
I see that this release uses It's own modmap.
Now I can't use TAB by chr+space combo. What's the difference? Maybe I could define my own especially for usb keyboard?
This project currently uses the Mamona keymap plus fatalsaint's modmap if you have an N810, or just the Mamona keymap if you have an N800. It can be found in the /home/user/.Xmodmap-keymap file. Add or change anything you want to!

EDIT: The thread on fatalsaint's xmodmap has some other keyboard layouts too, if you need an international keyboard layout.

Last edited by qole; 2008-10-14 at 18:50. Reason: Link to Mamona keymap

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
debian, firefox, gimp, java, openoffice