Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Hi Folks!

I ordered this week a new Nokia N9 64GB.

It was delivered today and as a very bad surprise, the Battery was totally empty!

I was not able to turn the device on until I plugged it in. After the startup and the first-use-settings I went to the settings, disconnected the device and it showed me 3%. So the battery was totally dead the moment I got it.

So I wonder now if this is normal. Had someone such a case?

Ah, the device was made in finnland and I got it for only 389€ at getgoods.de - just in case someone asks for this information.

So, it was cheap, it feels great, but I wonder if the Battery still has the full capacity.

Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
You will not know how the battery is until you have used/recharged it over a few days, but as long as you get a full initial charge it should all be OK.

And the White/64Gb is €60 more... WTF???

The Following User Says Thank You to dumpystig For This Useful Post:
Almost had the same issue, bought from Amazon for $480, and as soon as i turned it on it went dead. Been probably two months and battery is still the same as old broken one, can barely make a whole day without mid day charge

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
WOW! This sounds bad, somedude.

I unplugged the new N9 7 hours ago 100% charged and it gone down to 95% without GSM or W-Lan connection. Hmmm... looks so far okay to me.

I need now to do some testing. I ordered the N9 at getgoods only in reserve. Just in case. I own and use already a N9.

Hm, I will now install on booth a game (perhaps Tuxrace) and look which Battery dies first. In the best case they went booth at the same time off but normally it should be my current device.
If the new from getgoods.de dies first I guess I have a problem.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
Well the first thing I'm wondering is whether the box was sealed? Usually you expect to have maybe a third of a charge the instance you open the box, batterys can empty over time but I'm not sure it's been long enough for that, even if it was from first batch.
A retailer may reseal the package even if it was a return though, but would be obvious of it wasn't sealed.
Usually retailers are legally obliged to state if it's a return/refurbished product, although some have been known to not do so.

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
Its quite normal that if product has been on the shelves long enough that you have to recharge the device before using it. Actually I would be surprised if the device out of the box would have full battery, as then most likely the seller would have opened the box (and used it for a while or charged it just before sending it to you). Hopefully the box was sealed.

Posts: 153 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ New Zealand
It's also not unusual for a phone or accessory to arrive DOA, regardless of what device or manufacturer.

Okay, I had now Need for speed running on the devices for several hours and they discharged nearly at the same speed.

The Box was not sealed and no evidence that there were a seal ever. But the N9 was inside the protection film without any fingerprints and the two sticker at the side with the usb plug were intact. The accessories were also in foil and original conditions.

But it could be now a better case if it is a refurbished and used N9. This could mean the battery died just some weeks ago and not at the end of last year or even worse before. Hmm...

The new N9 from getgoods.de needed some minutes more to recharge compared to my old one. I run now a second test using the game NFS.

The strange thing is the display. The colors at my current N9 are more bright and white is really white at the display. The N9 from getgoods shows rather a light gray than a white. Does a firmwareupdate fix this?

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
is it still on pr1.1? Pr1.2 introduced selectable color modes. My N9 looks much warmer that any other device I've ever seen (check the screen comparison thread, it looks green next to an E7, suppose due to pentile having 50% more green subpixels)

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Okay, after some testing the battery seems still fine to me.

The N9 I got from getgoods.de is running: 10.2011.34-1.232.2_PR_232

Tags
battery, battery life, capacity