Originally Posted by toki View Post
and errr.. the split screen thingy.. why do we need to fund more money for that? isn't that just a feature they would add to sailfishOS 2.0?

im not that bright.. but.. does that mean if we don't fund it 1.75mill the feature will NEVER ever exist for jolla tablets?

its a feature in the OS.. not a hardware feature.. right?
Common sense says that they need more people to work on it to have the feature available on launch (May 2015).
Declining not to make it ever available (when they clearly think it is a major, sought after feature), because stretch goal was not met defines all kinds of logic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by toki View Post
im not that bright.. but.. does that mean if we don't fund it 1.75mill the feature will NEVER ever exist for jolla tablets?
Ah, well, the usual point of these crowdfunding projects is to help a project get off the drawing board and into reality. I'm certain Jolla has been working on a tablet for some time now, and there are certain indications that split-screen functionality has been toyed with as well. Most likely, the tablet would have eventually been turned into a reality at some point in time; and, if Jolla survived long enough, I'm sure the split-screen concept would have been implemented as well.

However, from what I've been reading, it sounds like Intel is providing a pretty sweet deal on tablet hardware right now. Apparently such a good deal that Jolla wanted to get it on it right away. And so, they've chosen crowdfunding in order to get their tablet off the drawing board faster. And, if they want to get the split-screen feature done in time for the tablet launch, that'll take even more cash...

In any case, I don't think any of these stretch goals are things that won't exist at some point in the future. The crowdfunding campaign simply accelerates their creation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Wow! Less than 8 thousand dollars to go! Should be there by the time I get up in the morning!
8AM EST. $1,498,542 What! I expected more by now!

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
8AM EST. $1,498,542 What! I expected more by now!
Eh. Less-than-exciting stretch goals.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
$1,499,196! Getting closer! I should have slept in a little longer!

EDIT:$1,499,294
EDIT:$1,499,343
EDIT:$1,499,572
EDIT:$1,500,335 Yippee!

EDIT: $1,750,000 seems so far way. How about asking Steve Balmer to make a contribution. If he can afford to buy the LA Clippers he can afford to help Jolla! Would Jolla take his money?

Last edited by mscion; 2014-12-05 at 14:54.

Or Shuttleworth since Ubuntu doesn't have hardware released yet

Originally Posted by mscion
How about asking Steve Balmer to make a contribution. If he can afford to buy the LA Clippers he can afford to help Jolla! Would Jolla take his money?
Even if they would consider it, the vox populi would be:
better die than accept that blood money
Wonder if someone from google did that what would be the consensus, for me they are even worse (and i would still vote to accept it, better alive with less pride, than proudly dead), but for some MS is still the satan.

edit: as this topic is very close to evoke a lot of MS/G hate/love that will go totally OT, here is a poll:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94267

Last edited by szopin; 2014-12-05 at 22:04.

Posts: 307 | Thanked: 488 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ USA around Chicago
$1,499,196! Getting closer! I should have slept in a little longer!

EDIT:$1,499,294
EDIT:$1,499,343
EDIT:$1,499,572
EDIT:$1,500,335 Yippee!

EDIT: $1,750,000 seems so far way. How about asking Steve Balmer to make a contribution. If he can afford to buy the LA Clippers he can afford to help Jolla! Would Jolla take his money?
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Open Source idiots for donating $300000 of you hard earned money to M$ fund!

-Steve Ballmer
Edit: Stephen Elop, Satya Nadella & Bill Gates also asked to convey their gratitude for your generous donation. We will consider as your appreciation for our burning platform, Nokia, project!!.

Last edited by abyzthomas; 2014-12-05 at 22:28.

Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all Open Source idiots for donating $300000 of you hard earned money to M$ fund!

-Steve Ballmer
Edit: Stephen Elop, Satya Nadella & Bill Gates also asked to convey their gratitude for your generous donation. We will consider as your appreciation for our burning platform, Nokia, project!!.
Come on man, second sentence of the article you linked says that PCs, phones (and presumably tablets, as this is from 2009) pay volume-based license fees. Not the $300,000 flat rate.

Originally Posted by abyzthomas View Post
Originally Posted by arstechnica.com
while companies that want to use the format in devices such as phones, PCs, and networks will have to pay a volume-based license fee.
Look at this troll-baiting skimmer trying to flame. At least have a basic understanding of the material you reference before you call others idiots.

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet