Active Topics

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I don't think the "full desktop experience web" as it is right now, that can be enjoyed on the ITs, is suitable for a 'walkaround experience'. Multiple columns format, especially those filled with advertising, navigation and pointers to a site's other content should be simplified for a 'walk around' experience so one does not need to hunt-and-peck too much and deal with unnecessary contents that reduces your desired content to just 1\3rd or 1\4th of the screen.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Westcountry, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Then something's wrong. You should be getting 2-4 days idle connected to wifi.
Nothing like that. If I leave wifi on the battery will be dead overnight.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Ignoring the slight facetiousness, whatever's wrong likely has very little to do with wifi. Something is eating CPU and preventing the device from properly sleeping. Figure out what that is.
There was no 'slight facetiousness' anywhere. I cannot rely on it having any battery life if I don't leave it charging or switch it off and as a result I don't carry it around like I did with the 770. its also is somewhat more fragile without the lid.

As you said I guess I need to 'figure out what it is' that is wrong, somehow, however I can do that.

Although I don't see how having wifi on when I am not using it really helps me.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
Nothing like that. If I leave wifi on the battery will be dead overnight.

There was no 'slight facetiousness' anywhere. I cannot rely on it having any battery life if I don't leave it charging or switch it off and as a result I don't carry it around like I did with the 770. its also is somewhat more fragile without the lid.

As you said I guess I need to 'figure out what it is' that is wrong, somehow, however I can do that.

Although I don't see how having wifi on when I am not using it really helps me.
Instead of switching it off to save battery, why not just place the NIT in off-line mode? That's what I do here.

I cannot remember if this feature is available by default or if one has to edit mce.ini to turn it on. If you short-press the power button to get the menu, is there an Offline mode (2nd option down here)? Turning off the radio goes a long way here in saving battery time, as does turning off AP scanning, and setting idle times down to like 5 minutes. It still only takes about 15-20 seconds to go back online. (Short press power, select Normal mode, attempting to surf or check email will cause the NIT to attempt to find an AP, or connect through my phone if none available.)

Just an idea. Now, if I could figure out why my battery meter goes from 2/3 to "Charge battery now" within seconds, sometimes.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by tso View Post
basically i want to see any kind of media plugin banished to the fiery pits of hell.
I would agree... except that in the case of Flash, it's usefulness has grown far beyond mere media plugin. There are many Flash apps out there that actually provide something practical without getting in your way, like the jaiku post applet.

But I definitely agree when it comes to in-your-face graphic advertising. I have truly had enough.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I don't think the "full desktop experience web" as it is right now, that can be enjoyed on the ITs, is suitable for a 'walkaround experience'. Multiple columns format, especially those filled with advertising, navigation and pointers to a site's other content should be simplified for a 'walk around' experience so one does not need to hunt-and-peck too much and deal with unnecessary contents that reduces your desired content to just 1\3rd or 1\4th of the screen.
That is entirely the fault of web designers. The wide, gaudy, content-overflowing sites (such as CNN, ebay and Amazon have become) are nuts. It would be nice if they could be refactored into something better for tablets...

Last edited by Texrat; 2008-04-28 at 12:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
tabletrat , have you tried disabling the metalayer-crawler?

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
tabletrat , have you tried disabling the metalayer-crawler?
err... what is that, why would it be running and how do you disable it? I remember someone saying something about that in some thead but didn't pay attention as i had a 770 at the time.

Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
Instead of switching it off to save battery, why not just place the NIT in off-line mode? That's what I do here.
i do when i remember to, and that is better, although it defeats the 'always on' element and is a bit more of a faff than on the 770

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by tabletrat View Post
i do when i remember to, and that is better, although it defeats the 'always on' element and is a bit more of a faff than on the 770
True enough. Being able to set a timeout value to go to off-line would be nice.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following User Says Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
You can, though you're limited to preset values. Control panel -> Connectivity -> Idle times tab.

But you need to set it (in the General tab) for a search interval of never, or it will try to reconnect (and often loop endlessly scanning), which is a big power drain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
That would be the ideal, or some other kind of power saving thing.
I have the thing where it locks the keyboard when it gets dark, which is mostly good (except it often locks when I hold it wrong). Some kind of timeout when the keys are locked would be good.