Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
joerg_rw, is there any chance to put a "regular" usb port in neo900?
Like i did with nokia n900 here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...76&postcount=1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by ryu1 View Post
joerg_rw, is there any chance to put a "regular" usb port in neo900?
Like i did with nokia n900 here: http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...76&postcount=1
we *might* support such rework by placing the right pads on PCB, but that's honestly all I consider to do reagrdng that. We won't massively mass-rework the cases. The proper AB-micro-port already requires more rework on case than I really would like to do, but we will do that *). What we will support (I guess) is USB - or charging plug - in a mugen cover.
/j

*) edit: just like for the antenna recepracles that we plan to provide but we won't drill the holes into the case so you could access them to attach WiFi/BT, GPS, GSM antenna. Up to you to do that

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-16 at 01:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
we *might* support such rework by placing the right pads on PCB, but that's honestly all I consider to do reagrdng that. We won't massively mass-rework the cases. The proper AB-micro-port already requires more rework on case than I really would like to do, but we will do that. What we will support (I guess) is USB - or charging plug - in a mugen cover.
/j
Thanks, it would be nice to have the pads there, so i don't have to pull wires from the micro usb. The rest of case rework i will do it miself.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Dos1 and me did a little fancy effort to augment/update the http://neo900.org website.
I hope you love it :-)
/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Dos1 and me did a little fancy effort to augment/update the http://neo900.org website.
Very nice! I've gotta admit, in these days of disposable cell phones, promoting the idea of hardware that can be supported years into the future is, for me at least, very compelling. There's gotta be some fairly decent sized group of consumers who are tired of throwing their phone away and starting over again every year or two.

Hey, on the IrDA, do you have a specific hardware module in mind? (I wanted to do a little research and see what it would take to write software for it.)

Also, it might be better to describe the Consumer IR capability as a "learning remote" rather than "two-way", as pretty much no CIR devices support actual two-way communication. (Although there's no reason two Neo900s couldn't use it to communicate with each other...) Are you planning on having a separate CIR receiver, or trying to use the IrDA to receive CIR signals? Thanks!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Very nice! I've gotta admit, in these days of disposable cell phones, promoting the idea of hardware that can be supported years into the future is, for me at least, very compelling. There's gotta be some fairly decent sized group of consumers who are tired of throwing their phone away and starting over again every year or two.
Thanks! I hope for them as well as for all the N900 lovers and the ones scared by NSA/prism/tempora (though free hw doesn't really target that, first instance)
Hey, on the IrDA, do you have a specific hardware module in mind? (I wanted to do a little research and see what it would take to write software for it.)
The IrDA support comes with OMAP UART3, just needs the IR components. It's pretty simple.
Also, it might be better to describe the Consumer IR capability as a "learning remote" rather than "two-way", as pretty much no CIR devices support actual two-way communication. (Although there's no reason two Neo900s couldn't use it to communicate with each other...) Are you planning on having a separate CIR receiver, or trying to use the IrDA to receive CIR signals? Thanks!
Yep, thanks for the remark, we will edit that. For now my plan is to have 2 IR LED, one discrete high power one for CIR wavelength and the other one in IrDA module. RX will be IrDA module only. (see LIRC project, exploiting IrDA a common way to 'learn CIR')

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-16 at 01:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
For now my plan is to have 2 IR LED, one discrete high power one for CIR wavelength and the other one in IrDA module. RX will be IrDA module only. (see LIRC project, exploiting IrDA a common way to 'learn CIR')
Hmm, well, while exploiting IrDA for CIR is common, exploiting it "successfully" may be a little less common. From the LIRC project's page on using IrDA, they say

Everybody agrees that real support for consumer IR applications can only be developed using chipsets that support CIR (consumer IR).
So I guess some IrDA hardware can be used for CIR, and some can't. Also,

From my experience transmitting of IR signals is more likely to work than receiving...
In any case, it might be best for now to just say that the Neo900 will have IrDA and CIR tx, and not worry about CIR rx until we know whether the IrDA hardware can actually handle it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
In any case, it might be best for now to just say that the Neo900 will have IrDA and CIR tx, and not worry about CIR rx until we know whether the IrDA hardware can actually handle it.
I'm rather sure and this is based on my experience as EE, that this will work. After all I'm designing the circuit ;-) IrDA RX is simply a photodiode and the signal it provides is directly connected to a GPIO of the "CPU" *). It's hard to find a story how this could possibly fail for learning CIR. BTW my TV does not have any special CIR chipset, just a receiver module that demodulates and filters the ~50kHz IR carrier. IrDA OTOH is not using a carrier, maybe that's why those statements above.

*) see http://fly.cc.fer.hr/~mozgic/UIR/ version-II, that's the standard CIR circuit nowadays (at least in my TV). SIR (IrDA, used in Neo900) works similar, just the RX doesn't demodulate, so for CIR RX the UART will see something roughly similar to 50kBd (~32..70) 101010101.... for the CIR sending a "1" aka mark, and simply no signal at all for CIR "sending" a "0" aka space.
/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-16 at 03:37.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
What frequency bands to the modem(s) being offered for the Neo900 support?

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
dos1 in his first post in this topic mentioned that with higher volume it is possible to upgrade the specs of the phone to OMAP4.
I guess it might be a good idea to start a similar poll to the one in this thread asking how much are people willing to pay for OMAP4 version.
The question may be like (assuming OMAP4 is a 4460):
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with OMAP4460 dual core 1.2-1.5 GHz/1GM-RAM/1GB (instead of TI DM3730 version)?

If you add this poll, it can be referred in neo900.org

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oxym For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!