Notices

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I ended up hardly ever using the thing. Heck, even if you could download the info in the remote, I suspect Logitech would sue you or something. As you can tell, I'm not a real fan of the brand...
Well, that doesn't stop me from finding out what codes my tv is using.... if you could point me to the right direction, im gladly to help you

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by HtheB View Post
Well, that doesn't stop me from finding out what codes my tv is using.... if you could point me to the right direction, im gladly to help you
The best way is always to go directly to the source. The original remote control that came with your TV is broadcasting information in infrared, all you need is an infrared receiver to see it. Many PCs today have an IR receiver built-in to them; if you can capture that information with an appropriate software program (such as the LIRC server itself), I can take that data and get it into Pierogi. (Also, you can use the generated LIRC file with any number of other apps, such as "irreco", or the new crop of LIRC apps on Android...)

Unfortunately, I'm not an expert myself on doing this; up to now, I've mostly just been working with config files that other people have created...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Hungary
Hmm. Sounds like I don't have quite the right config file for your TV. If you're using the 1.1 version of Pierogi (from the extras-devel repository), you can get to a more complete set of input controls by switching to the "Television Panels" (using the icon that looks like a folder in the upper right corner), and then selecting the "input" panel. The "Antenna" button there should hopefully let you switch back to antenna input.

I'll see if I can find some more Samsung files. (BTW, can you give me the model number(s) of the TVs? That might help.)

Ah! Now this is a situation where I could use some help. I live in the US, where teletext sadly doesn't exist, so I really have no idea what I'm doing when I try to map teletext buttons. Right now, what I've got as "Teletext" for the Samsung TV keyset 1 is listed in the config file as "TTX/MIX"; can you tell me how the actual Teletext/TV button is labeled? (Also, are there other Teletext controls you need? I'm really not even sure how Teletext is used...)

I will put it on my list, but I have to say that air conditioners are proving to be the toughest of opponents.
Pressing "antenna" does nothing.
Teletext itself works. You only need the ttx/mix, the coloured keys, and the numbers for use. I just can't switch it off. The same button brings you back to TVantenna from teletext and AV mode. This is called "TV" on the remote controllers.
On my old sharp, or orion, the TTX button was a cycle. TTX with black background/TTX with transparent background/normal TV. On samsung it's different.
Both remote controllers work well for both TV's, except the previous channel feature.
samsung cz21m063n Plano is the newer, but if you need both, I can move it out to see.
Yes I use pierogi 1.1.

Edit: the other TV is: CZ-20F32T

Last edited by quailstorm; 2013-05-01 at 17:25. Reason: corrected false info

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Utility/Input button takes me to source:AV anyway... Also, source:HDMI is considered by the TV as volume down.

The Following User Says Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Ok, yeah, it appears that I need to clean up my Samsung keysets quite a bit. Samsung has held onto a single IR protocol for a very, very long time, and has done quite a bit of button shuffling over the years. I thought I could just cram them all together without too much effort, but I'm missing a lot of the subtleties in the command sets that way.

Originally Posted by quailstorm View Post
Pressing "antenna" does nothing.
Got it -- newer models seem to be using 0x36 for "TV" (which is what I had Antenna mapped to), older ones are using 0x1B...

Utility/Input button takes me to source:AV anyway...
That command value seems to have stayed the same over the years, but on my own Samsung it's a toggle between TV and video, rather than just video. I'll cross-list it under both "Input" and "Aux" for now.

Also, source:HDMI is considered by the TV as volume down.
Interesting! Volume down is 0x0B and source:HDMI is 0x8B, so I guess the TV is ignoring the high bit. Only the more recent Samsungs seem to have commands with the high bit set anyway, so I guess that makes some sense. I'll try to clean that up as well.

I don't seem to have config files for those exact TV models, but I've got a lot of config files that are close. Just to make sure, though, let me ask: in the picture with those two remote controls, the lower control has separate buttons for up, down, left, right, and enter, where in the upper remote they are integrated with the volume, channel/programme, and menu buttons. I've also got config files that differ on those points. Could you confirm for me that the lower remote _doesn't_ change the volume or channel when you use the directional keys? Thanks!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Copernicus, I've downloaded WinLirc, but do you know what I have to do to get it work on my hardware?

I've got a:
Intel(R) 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller - 27B9

hardware ID's:
ACPI\SMCF010
*SMCF010

(The laptop runs on Windows XP, it's not mine so I can't install another OS on it though... so... I hope you can help me and let me "Record" the IR for a config file )

Last edited by HtheB; 2013-05-01 at 20:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
The laptop runs on Windows XP, it's not mine so I can't install another OS on it though
Should be no need for that, WinLIRC should run fine on XP (or, I think, pretty much any other flavor of Wndows).

I've got a:
Intel(R) 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller - 27B9

hardware ID's:
ACPI\SMCF010
*SMCF010
I think this might be an identifier for an "IrDA" device. IrDA was designed for computer-to-computer data transfer; unfortunately, it works at different frequencies and power levels than "Consumer IR". I think I've heard of folks manipulating some forms of IrDA hardware to support CIR, but I'm not sure what that would entail...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
If one have a Regular desktop PC with serial port, it should be pretty easy (almost bulletproof) to build IR receiver (or even receiver-sender combo) yourself, for a local currency equivalent of ~5 dollars or less, in cost of parts. Google for it, there are dozens of step-by-step tutorials for doing so.

When I was interested in it few years ago (thanks to N900, IIRC), the only reliable way to grab IR remotes with LIRC was, indeed, building serial port connected IR receiver. USB wasn't supported by FOSS, and build-in remote receivers in notebooks weren't even a plan.

It was a no-go for me, as I have a notebook without serial port (acting as desktop - it's Dell XPS m1530 on best parts set, quite a powerful beast, even for today's standards - for off-topic digression, see footnote). From Copernicus poost, it seems to have changed much - I should take another look at it. My notebook have have IR receiver port, designed to be used with Dell remote (to control windows media player, or similar nonsense, and some windows keys). Maybe I could abuse it to grab some keysets?
---

On different note: I'm surprised, that new mobile devices are coming with IR sender. I thought it's very geeky subject, not interesting "mass market" consumers? On one hand, it's nice, as we may have boost in keysets creation interest. OTOH, I'm almost saddened - now, I can disable all those pesky TVs in waiting longues, while innocently "writing something" on my N900, without drawing any suspicions Popularising this as "normal" feature of mobile phones spoils it

/Estel

Anegdote: Notebook-as-desktop It originate from times, where I haven't had N900 to act as travel mobile computer, so preffered notebook over normal desktop as main computer, as I travel extremely much. Now, thanks to N900, notebook hardly even leave my DIY docking station - N900 + mini USB keyboard + USB mouse is my travel set, with VNC access to home PC, if I *really* need it to do some high-computional power tasks, or access some obascure files. Which hardly happens, anyway.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2013-05-02 at 14:04.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
I don't seem to have config files for those exact TV models, but I've got a lot of config files that are close. Just to make sure, though, let me ask: in the picture with those two remote controls, the lower control has separate buttons for up, down, left, right, and enter, where in the upper remote they are integrated with the volume, channel/programme, and menu buttons. I've also got config files that differ on those points. Could you confirm for me that the lower remote _doesn't_ change the volume or channel when you use the directional keys? Thanks!

Yes, I can confirm it.

So how does it work? I said that the RCs are interchangeable. On the upper RC(it's the older TV's one) you can't find a d-pad, nor a previous channel button. Using previous channel with the other RC does nothing on the older TV.
The D-pad is different.
On the newer RC(lower), it just works as a normal d-pad, nothing special. But you can use twe volume and channel keys too! You can fully control the menu with vol+-, CH+-, and menu buttons. That's what you see merged on the upper RC.
So yes, the lower RC has a d-pad, but it's just a comfort feature, you can live without it.

I hope my English is understandable.

The Following User Says Thank You to quailstorm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
On different note: I'm surprised, that new mobile devices are coming with IR sender. I thought it's very geeky subject, not interesting "mass market" consumers? On one hand, it's nice, as we may have boost in keysets creation interest. OTOH, I'm almost saddened - now, I can disable all those pesky TVs in waiting longues, while innocently "writing something" on my N900, without drawing any suspicions Popularising this as "normal" feature of mobile phones spoils it
Yeah, I was surprised to find an IR port on my Note 10.1, it has much better range than the N900 too but unfortunately the software for it sucks compared to Pierogi. It's called "Peel", it has some interesting features like fetching TV listings and switching to that channel when a programme name is pressed but it crashes all the time so I always keep my N900 and Pierogi handy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Tags
infrared, pasta, remote, remote control