Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK LONDON
It seems you guys know what you are doing....I hope its not all talk.
I stopped thinking on a new phone since I have my n900.

I voted for 500 and I would like to change my vote to 800 please.
I wish I could be on any help but I dont think so :/

Good luck joerg_rw
next: neo900

Android/iOS developer
ready for maemo coding competition 2016!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to andil For This Useful Post:
Just voted for 500. If my financial situation will change I may go for more but the times are uncertain.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by samipower View Post
and why not for a new nokia n900 :

Display 5 inches 1920x1080
keyboard

Qualcom snapdragon 800 and adreno 330
3gb ram
3000 mah
bluetoth 3,0
dlna
fm radio and sender fm
infrared
gps
wifi card with inyector possibility aircrack how older n900
16mpx camera with new stability capture and full hd video
front camera 2mpx

and others features equal than n900

and yes 700 eur for a new n900 with maemo 5, I not pay 700eur for a new n900 wild cortex a8 cpu.
Is this a joke or you just haven't read the first post?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
This is a truly awesome idea, I will be following it very intently. QWERTY phones seem to be disappearing, and any efforts to put out new ones deserve full support!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to [Knuckles] For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
does hardware exist that can drive a CIR-style LED at the speeds needed for IrDA?
This one shouldn't be a problem, as long as IrDA compliant hardware drives the LED - it shouldn't matter if it's a CIR one, white one, or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think speed is all about driver, not LED itself?

Will the output of a CIR-power LED oversaturate the IrDA receiver? (I'm kind of guessing that the IrDA power levels are as low as they are in order to avoid this kind of oversaturation problem; otherwise, nobody would have ever created an interface that forced you to place two devices a few centimeters apart in order to function properly.)
Well, that is the thing I haven't considered, and I'm afraid you may have a nice point here. It may be a problem when IrDA'ing with other device - our ultra-bright (as for IrDA standards) LED may, indeed, oversaturate weak LED from 2nd device.

Unless, we will be able to drive powerful CIR LED with very low currents, to generate non-over-saturating result? I think it's good question to implementation team

Also, could an IrDA rx be able to read signals from a wide range of existing CIR remote controls? (If not, use as a "learning remote" becomes impossible.)
It should, color difference is slight. If we get proper, "open" access to RX diode, it shouldn't be a problem to use it for recording signals, instead of IrDA'ing. Again, question to Neo900 implementation team - good one.

I do agree that having both a powerful CIR signal along with the ability to communicate over IrDA all in one package would be nirvana. I also believe that if it were that easy, someone would have already done it twenty years ago when IrDA was designed; it would have made adoption of the technology much quicker (and I'd suspect that it would still be popular today).
Well, lets create such nirvana for Neo900 While I get your point, i don't have such faith in "it's so nice, that if it would be possible, we would have it years ago" - iCrap did many bad things to the way mobile devices headed, and engineering manpower in mainstream got reassigned to work on some sh|tty, useless things (capacitive screens and "menu can't flicker for a 0.01 second, when user click it, it's unacceptable!", anyone?).

I wouldn't be surprised, if such nice feature would turn out to be abandoned, despite being completely doable.[/QUOTE]

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
All problems got considered and found moot. Don't worry it will work :-) Even while it violates IrDA specs (which is a reason we don't usually see it being done, along with power consumption reasons) IrDA transceivers always come with LED and photodiode in a module, nobody usually puts a second IR LED in just for fun, after all it's IrDA and not meant for CIR. Product requirement specs, you know... ;-)
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
It may be a problem when IrDA'ing with other device - our ultra-bright (as for IrDA standards) LED may, indeed, oversaturate weak LED from 2nd device.
I might be wrong but I thing Copernicus meant over-saturating our own receiver. We might need to reduce the output power in full duplex mode. Actually, maybe even in half duplex mode since saturated semiconductors tend to take some time to get out of the saturation. But reducing the power would reduce the effective IrDA range due the wavelength ("colour") mismatch.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia
So great!.

But why not going for Mer? and even better building a new hardware or modify the n900 more.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I might be wrong but I thing Copernicus meant over-saturating our own receiver. We might need to reduce the output power in full duplex mode. Actually, maybe even in half duplex mode since saturated semiconductors tend to take some time to get out of the saturation. But reducing the power would reduce the effective IrDA range due the wavelength ("colour") mismatch.
When IrDA was new, c't mag had an article "IrDA: the S/N horrorshow" - believe me the photodiode is as "saturated" as it can get, even with standard IrDA TX. And worst case we can put a optical separator (black paper) between LED and sensor, all the way to inner surface of window.
/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But reducing the power would reduce the effective IrDA range due the wavelength ("colour") mismatch.
Even if that'll reduce the range to <5 cm, that'll be infinite ways better than what we have now anyway and, unless your typical IrDA use case scenario contains sending files to your collegue from the building on the other side of the street by pointing your devices at each other through the windows on a foggy day, it should still be sufficient

Originally Posted by et3rnal View Post
But why not going for Mer? and even better building a new hardware or modify the n900 more.
I guess lack of manpower, money, and other resources.

@joerg_rw: by the way, have you guys considered the potential patent lawsuits? I mean, is it possible at all that some other company (maybe even the new MSokia) can sue you/us for distributing Neo900 without licensing fees?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!