Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Please vote for it after testing for some days please, if you find it extras-worthy.

As far as extra functionality, that may not come (soon at least) because I am a bit busy with a new project right now. In fact, oobProfile has already bled too much into the next projects timetable.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Hmm.. it might have been wrong to mix up qtm with qt-components, but what I wrote is strictly right...
I didn't want to be rude. it just pointed me to the wrong direction. After knowing the solution I can see what you ment, but the information was very well obfuscated

The Following User Says Thank You to hschmitt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Please vote for it after testing for some days please, if you find it extras-worthy.

As far as extra functionality, that may not come (soon at least) because I am a bit busy with a new project right now. In fact, oobProfile has already bled too much into the next projects timetable.
I did testing for some days with this app and here are my issues:
  • GPS is always on even if I select WIFI based positiong
  • The close button is not an X but the current time
  • The task switcher button is the battery symbol
  • The Settings app rotates but is only usable in potrait mode
  • The slider for time interval can only change in 10 minutes steps
Maybe the symbol thing could be an affect that you should depend on qt-components-10 (>= 1.0-pre0-3+0m5) which is the version, that is in devel and gets only to testing if an app depends on this higher version is pushed to testing. So mine is installed with an older qt-components-10 (1.0~git20111014-1+0m5).
Actually, I regard issue 1 as an extras blocker, because the promise of better battery life is significant and should be kept.
What do others think?

The Following User Says Thank You to hschmitt For This Useful Post:
Thanks for testing

GPS is always on even if I select WIFI based positiong
The icon stays on, but qt-mobility uses only non satellite methods so it does conserve battery life significantly. That the icon does not change to match the positioning method used is a qt-mobility issue.

<dev snip> I use QGeoPositionInfoSource and set preferred positioning methods to QGeoPositionInfoSource::NonSatellitePositioningMet hods </dev snip>

The close button is not an X but the current time
The task switcher button is the battery symbol
This is a qt-components issue. I haven't seen any qt-components or even qml application with real maemo status bar. There is a small animation at startup though that tries to explain the situation. I think this bug should be relegated to the qt-components maintainer

The slider for time interval can only change in 10 minutes steps
That was a design decision, maybe I will make it change arbitrarily

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
The icon stays on, but qt-mobility uses only non satellite methods so it does conserve battery life significantly. That the icon does not change to match the positioning method used is a qt-mobility issue.
Hi, yesterday I installed from extras-testing on N900 and I don't think the problem is only qt-mobility. I see the GPS icon continuously flashing looking for a position and the status bar applet says "searching position" so I fear the GPS is really on. Yesterday I disabled the auto-switch feature and the icon switched off, now I'm trying to leave the auto-switch on (the icon started immediately flashing) and will report for any battery issues in a few hours.
Obviously I'm using only the wifi/cell positioning
Two questions:
1) I setup two locations, my home position and my work position but clicking the icon with the list I don't see any record but only "delete all" option, is it right?
2) starting the application with Internet connection active I can't see any map but only a gray square with a red circle representing the searching radius, do I have to set or configure anything else to see the map?
Thank you in advance

Thanks for testing.

If indeed the GPS is on we should relegate the problem to qtMobility maintainers, as I have specifically requested NonSatellitePositioningMethods in the code and that shouldn't fire up the GPS. The function does not give any hint of not working correctly (error/exception or similar). I believe that the satellite icon is just a misinterpretation in the fremantle theme. The corresponding icon in harmattan shows a (more semantically correct) compass.

1. You can remove locations only if you go there again, or you can remove all locations. There is no harm in leaving records in the database, so if you are not going somewhere ever again just don't bother.

2. The map shows after a coarse precision fix has been obtained. In harmattan qtmobility returns the last known location and obtains a fix quickly, even inside. Unfortunately this is not the case for N900, but it would require a complete rewrite (using liblocation) to overcome these limitations.

I apologize for the not-so-good integration with the N900 but oobProfile for Fremantle is just a side project, porting the paid version of harmattan to fremantle. The sources are there of course for anyone to use.

Please report battery drainage results.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Italy
Thanks for your answer!
I confirm the GPS was active and after going out from office to lunch, it fixed the position (I tested it after seeing the icon stop flashing by opening CloudGPS and it showed a "3D fix" pointing at my actual position in the map).
I left the phone in this state for about 2 hours and the battery dropped from 48% to 22% while my normal battery consumption is about 5% in 9 hours of stand-by.
This leads me to think there is an issue with qtmobility and/or the daemon which ignore the "no-gps" setting is active. I solved by disabling the auto-switch function then the GPS icon disappeared and the battery usage now is as usual.
Thank you very much for your work

[Edit]
Maybe I didn't explain well my question n.1: after setting 2 different positions (home & office) I was not able to see anything in the list but "delete all" option, so I didn't understand what that list was for; from your comment it seems that list is for deleting previous set positions so it seems the program didn't save my office position as I set it 5 hours ago and now I'm still at office.
[/edit]

Last edited by djdas; 2012-05-04 at 16:16. Reason: Adding comment on question 1)