Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by tuxsavvy View Post
Still I estimate after one does a full mirror it may only require at most 250GB, and that should in theory include everything, including some of the sources that cannot be obtained easily (those of you whom mirrored some repositories that contained sources which were later on pulled down/out would know what I mean).

Mind you, community developments for N900 is still ongoing so fremantle mirror may end up becoming a fairly large space eater versus the rest of the maemo tablets
Well I have been reading around and the active debian mirror is 610 GB, which basically means the all data we will ever need, harmattan-dev etc included, isn't going to be any more than that! even with the debian dependancy packages synced.

So one mirror for everything (plus some extra for more dev catalogs and other sources) isn't going to be more than 1 TB (1.5 for safety).

Is it worth setting something like this up?

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
You could also add free OVI applications:
https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fremantle1.2/ovi/

But to be able to download the packages, the patched apt binary is needed. By the way, I think it should be included in CSSU as it fixes a "bug".
The bug was already addressed to in CSSU, no need to point it out that needs to be fixed.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Well I have been reading around and the active debian mirror is 610 GB, which basically means the all data we will ever need, harmattan-dev etc included, isn't going to be any more than that! even with the debian dependancy packages synced.

So one mirror for everything (plus some extra for more dev catalogs and other sources) isn't going to be more than 1 TB (1.5 for safety).

Is it worth setting something like this up?
I personally think it would be worth even if it will cause some breakage in the test phase while trying to sort out what packages could be updated through
debian armel repos. Sadly I have not the bandwith to provide a mirror
but I volunteer for testing If the project starts.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by farmatito View Post
I personally think it would be worth even if it will cause some breakage in the test phase while trying to sort out what packages could be updated through
debian armel repos. Sadly I have not the bandwith to provide a mirror
but I volunteer for testing If the project starts.
Well thats what I was thinking, maybe worth doing this now and get it working well before the repos are shut down (if they ever do get shut down).

Does anyone know what sort of bandwidth is needed for a decent mirror?

I have the spare hardware + time, but will need a hand setting it up.

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
Well thats what I was thinking, maybe worth doing this now and get it working well before the repos are shut down (if they ever do get shut down).

Does anyone know what sort of bandwidth is needed for a decent mirror?

I have the spare hardware + time, but will need a hand setting it up.
you probably want to have a top speed home connection with as many Mbps upload speed as possible.
considering that most Maemo packages are reasonably small (the former Firefox the largest one i came across so far is about 15MBs, but you obviously don't have to mirror it) you probably may want to throttle individual bandwidth to such a level that the average package download (when that bandwidth is available) doesn't exceed a few seconds.

also worth checking is your provider's "fair use policy" which may include monthly (or daily) caps. considering that a lot of consumers are using torrents, the number of connections may (or may not) be okay.

EDIT: the home connection may still be a problem if your IP address changes.
this usually doesn't happen if your server remains on-line and reboots quickly (before the IP address is allocated to another user) but ISP terms & conditions usually stipulate that the IP address is not guaranteed.
you may also want to spent some time configuring a firewall.

EDIT2: Pali, i hope you don't mind me mentioning this here, but...
that is one of the problems that was at least alluded to on the council thread; i.e. organizing & financing hosting. home hosting is a possibility, but it obviously comes with the cost of having to manage the server; like: RAID or @ least good backup & ready to replace a HD on a moments notice, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...

Last edited by misterc; 2011-07-24 at 06:11.

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
davedickson: Apologies for the late reply, yes I think 1TB should be plentiful to cover maemo/meego related repositories, including all the firmwares and what not such as:
- Developer environments (scratchbox)
- All the minor projects that has either been completed and/or is incomplete (and abandoned or ongoing) such as cordia, Mer and what not.

There's a few more other things that may need to be covered such as:
- maemo/meego wiki pages (unless X-Fade is willing to negotiate it'll be hard to mirror them without hogging excessive space).
- t.m.o. threads (talk.maemo.org), there's lots of useful information that has not yet been `wikified'.
- m.x.r. (maemo cross-reference site), very handy for any interested developers. Again, most of the site is dynamically generated and without negotiating to whomever owns it to mirror it properly will hog excessive space if one tries to wget it).
- bug site, handy to know what was fixed, etc.
- garage site: home of many 3rd party developers' apps. Again very handy and may include things that were not added into the main repositories due to various reasons.
- Qt stuff, needless to say that its used extensively on fremantle.

Hopefully that should cover everything that's related to maemo and its rather extensive history of things. All in all I really do not have a clue on how much will the final size be for everything aforemented here.

misterc: Dynamic IP address can be easily addressed with Dynamic DNS providers. They are mostly free/cheap and is generally fuss free.

Last but not least, two more things worth noting:
1) archive.org can be a really handy place for maemo.org's final resting place should the various alternative mirrors decides to move on. Better yet would be to try and somehow negotiate with them on making their lives a little easier by not mirroring maemo.org site constantly and instead of keeping all the chronological mirrors of maemo.org is to have one big mirrored version from whomever decides to pull the plug on their mirrored hosting.
2) It would also be somewhat a wise idea to have maybe a torrent and/or rsync server set up on alternative mirrors so that any other potential mirror can keep up to date with the alternative mirror (to keep it in sync in other words).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
you probably want to have a top speed home connection with as many Mbps upload speed as possible.
considering that most Maemo packages are reasonably small (the former Firefox the largest one i came across so far is about 15MBs, but you obviously don't have to mirror it) you probably may want to throttle individual bandwidth to such a level that the average package download (when that bandwidth is available) doesn't exceed a few seconds.

also worth checking is your provider's "fair use policy" which may include monthly (or daily) caps. considering that a lot of consumers are using torrents, the number of connections may (or may not) be okay.

EDIT: the home connection may still be a problem if your IP address changes.
this usually doesn't happen if your server remains on-line and reboots quickly (before the IP address is allocated to another user) but ISP terms & conditions usually stipulate that the IP address is not guaranteed.
you may also want to spent some time configuring a firewall.

EDIT2: Pali, i hope you don't mind me mentioning this here, but...
that is one of the problems that was at least alluded to on the council thread; i.e. organizing & financing hosting. home hosting is a possibility, but it obviously comes with the cost of having to manage the server; like: RAID or @ least good backup & ready to replace a HD on a moments notice, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera...
For the Dynamic IP address using dyndns.org could be the solution.

BTW: I have a SS4000E home Nas lying around with debian installed,
with 4 250gb disks, but performance, number of concurrent connections
and my upload bandwidth will be a problematic. Also from a security
point of view I'm stuck with an old kernel version or I have to forward port
a bunch of kernel patches (and my spare time is very limited).
Nonetheless if it could be somehow useful i will set it up with
the help of some real admin.

Last edited by farmatito; 2011-07-24 at 12:13.

Originally Posted by farmatito View Post
For the Dynamic IP address using dyndns.org could be the solution.

BTW: I have a SS4000E home Nas lying around with debian installed,
with 4 250gb disks, but performance, number of concurrent connections
and my upload bandwidth will be a problematic. Also from a security
point of view I'm stuck with an old kernel version or I have to forward port
a bunch of kernel patches (and my spare time is very limited).
Nonetheless if it could be somehow useful i will set it up with
the help of some real admin.
for a beginning, that sounds like a terabyte for the grab
certainly for setting up & configuring the repository properly.
and as long as the official repositories are still available (knock knock), bandwidth isn't an issue per se, is it?

i'm an openSUSE (& a little bit CentOS) centric user, so debs & debian are a little out of my league, i'm afraid ¦:-}

i'm going to contact an Unix User group and inquire what their conditions are for hosting a repository.
having an up & running server they can mirror is certainly going to be a requirement. but most likely a name and possibly a registered foundation of some sort (domain name?) will be too.

i'll be travelling coming week, so won't be able to do much, but i'll get back on this beginning of august.

recess - 1st part, HW?
{if replying thanks to cut from this line down to the "end of quote tag" except for specific parts you'd like to refer to ¦:-}

just came across a post showing a Maemo tombstone and came to wonder... what future do we want for Maemo Fremantle?
or, to put it more down to earth, from

personally i would like to keep using my N900s as long as possible.
so far, this community has done a great job keeping the N900 up to today's standard.
thanks for all the dedicated work!

but let's be realistic; even though there are still quite a few N8x0s and even 770s around, hardware is the limiting factor here.
don't misunderstand me, i still have my 7650 and even though the keys are spooky (don't react 1st or send several signals at once...), the 9 & 1 still do it properly and browsing the call history or contacts still works flawlessly. but obviously, (independently of a problem with the headset connector which loads static very quickly) i wouldn't be able to put even only one MP3 album on it.

same for the N900; with 64GB of storage, MP3s shouldn't be a problem, for the time being but 256MB of RAM could
FireFox is known for being a memory hog (to put it mildly) thus we have to wonder how long it will be until Fennec outgrows 256MB.
then, obviously, we would need to replace our beloved N900 or compromise on newer (web?) features.

this brings me to my 1st question which could also be of relevance to getting mirroring sites host a Maemo Fremantle (for lack of an other name for now) repository:
would it be possible to port Maemo Fremantle (...) to other hardware? N950 might be an easy one, but obviously is not going to move masses

Symbian and Wm or Wp devices are out as the firmware can not be flashed without OVI suite (Symbian) or at all (Wx?) i believe.

what about Android devices?
if it is possible to run NITDroid on the N900, it should also be possible to port Maemo Fremantle (...) to Android devices, no?

recess - 2nd part, SW?
{if replying thanks to cut from this line down to the "end of quote tag" except for specific parts you'd like to refer to ¦:-}

of course, porting Maemo Fremantle (for lack of an other name for now) to non NOKIA hardware can be considered a software aspect too but with software i'm actually thinking broader.

namely, to put it bluntly, in how far does it make sense to keep maintaining Maemo Fremantle (...) if we can (eventually) get a comparable environment with MeeGo 1.x + Cordia?

is Maemo Fremantle's future limited to a potential time between the moment NOKIA may end its support and there is a valid alternative to Maemo Fremantle or the N900s become so obsolete that there is no alternative but to move on?

or can Maemo Fremantle outgrow the N900 and become the 1st truly open source smart phone operating system?

with regard to that, will it be possible to compete with MeeGo on this?
and we shouldn't only think NOKIA here but also consider other Android device manufacturers (LG, Samsung, ???) that may decide to use MeeGo as an alternative OS for smart phones

Tags
apt-mirror, closed packages, futureproofing, orphaned, repository dump