Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
guys, you are way off topic...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
The greater problem we are facing in my opinion is that although we have hundreds of thousands of well written code, there is not something we can call upstream. There are many branches of software with great potential but a small-time developer does not know what to follow.

The success of the N900 was in part that it supported just about whatever a pc supports. You can write code in C, C++, GTK, Qt Widget, qml, cli python, python-pyside, python-pyQt, python-pyGTK, even php and go.

I would really much like to see a coordinated effort (don't take me wrong, I do not mean that xxx developers move to yyy, no way. Every developer codes whatever he likes) to have a base (mer?) where we take some care to make our code compatible. So the effort going on on cssu can live on e.g. when cordia runs fine on mer. And make sure that nemo apps can run too on it.

For example there is still no e-mail client on nemo. Could modest run as is with the cordia libs even without running a cordia session?

I don't know if I was clear enough and I don't want to start a flame war about what is the correct direction. I just believe that we can have a general direction that runs everything just like Maemo does, but with a newer, and more open base.

This should be on the agenda of the new council, to draw a plan of the future of maemo, and facilitate communication between different teams. As a next step there could be a standardization group who would set up and document some standards that all maemoers can follow.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
[...] It's good to have some clear communications about long-standing community concerns before elections are up. Thank you.
matter of asking the right questions, maybe

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
guys, you are way off topic...
oky doky...
you don't show on Candidate declarations (yet?)
are you candidate to the Council?

EDIT: also have to say, i don't agree with the OFF TOPIC label; maybe it was already clear to you where Maemo is headed & all (???), but for me it really brings some more information to ponder
think Danramos agrees to that too
and... Silence is loud ¦-)

(POST-EDIT: don't forget the question )

Last edited by misterc; 2012-04-13 at 19:26. Reason: broader context

thanks to qgil, Stskeeps, w00t and qwazix for your clarifications about Qt 5 on Maemo 5 and the development of Maemo in general.
even though having been using KDE pretty much since the beginning (at least on GNU / Linux), i'm not much of a OS / Framework developer, alas
played with the thought of creating some simple Qt widget to display system stats (mostly temperatures) but at the end of the day, holding the N900 in your hand tells you right away whether some process went rogue & is frying the CPU
guess i will try & get Nemo running on my spare N900 & see where that goes...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Back to topic, for instance:

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Bump for the banner proposal. The longer it is up there, the better. Everybody should be made aware of what is going on, and be encouraged to take part in the process either as a candidate or as a voter.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Back to topic, for instance:
why all the fuss?
still only 4 candidates...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
qgil: In regards to the device program. I think there are some really great people that are deserving of the Nokia devices here that weren't given one. Sadly though it seems the people that were given them only a few have actually used them to make the apps they said they would.

In this device program can we make sure that we keep up with the people that say they will make a program and make sure it happens. I am all for giving devices if it makes things come about, if not, I don't think people should be given devices. Personally I know some people that were given devices that haven't done anything for the N9's development or haven't kept their word to develop what they said they would.

As much as I like Launchpad, some of our best developers here are not part of Launchpad and will probably never join it.

An example is Schturman or Itsnotabigtruck. These people have tried to give the N9 life through their development and from what I can tell neither of them are part of the Launchpad program or even remotely involved in the whole process, but are very deserving of an N9 to be able to test their development on.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Last edited by Arie; 2012-04-25 at 02:49.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This has nothing to do with Council election. Please share yous proposals on how to avoid or fix the problems you describe in the ongoing mailing list thread. Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arie View Post
qgil: In regards to the device program. I think there are some really great people that are deserving of the Nokia devices here that weren't given one. Sadly though it seems the people that were given them all but a few have actually used them to make the apps they said they would.

In this device program can we make sure that we keep up with the people that say they will make a program and make sure it happens. I am all for giving devices if it makes things come about, if not, I don't think people should be given devices. Personally I know some people that were given devices that haven't done anything for the N9's development or haven't kept their word to develop what they said they would.

[...]
the devices weren't given out as an advance.
they were given to developers who had proven their skills and dedication with past contributions, assuming they would carry on.
can you blame them not having done so 100% but having looked for an alternative instead?

shouldn't the blame be with NOKIA or, more specifically & usefully, with its current management and its lack of vision (not to say blindness )?

give ppl something to develop for and they will.
not that that much development gets actually done on the devices; most of the time it is done in an IDE (Integrate Dev. Environment). even though it is nice to have a real test "environment"

EDIT: btw Arie, what is your position relatively to being candidate for the Council?

Last edited by misterc; 2012-04-20 at 00:52. Reason: Council candidacy?

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down