Posts: 96 | Thanked: 105 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Finland
I have two 770 tablets, one running OS2006 and the other OS2007HE and I'm going to switch the 2007 on to 2008HE soon. That got me wondering, what is the most common OS in use on the 770 ?
Are you using HE if so why and if not why not ?

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
OS2008HE is my "real" operating system on the 770, although in the past week or so I have been running Mer v0.16.

If you are thinking of running OS2008HE, it is crucial to install it on the MMC before loading it with apps etc. (Your profile says that Linux is your usual operating system, so you probably know about partitioning a disk and booting from different partitions.)

The 770's internal flash is too small to run OS2008HE as an everyday operation. You also need a larger swap space than the options available through Control panel -> Memory . OS2008HE has a bad reputation for instability, but it actually works very nicely if it has enough space. I have it on a 704 MB partition in a 2GB MMC, and another 388 MB partition for swap.

Unfortunately, you have to install it in the internal flash before you can clone it to the MMC. So the first thing to do after flashing it is to delete all the pictures, video, music and manuals that come pre-installed. If you know your way into the files relating to languages that you will never use, delete them too. Then install packages that you will need for cloning to the MMC. Do not install anything else. You need X-Term, but it is pre-installed in OS2008HE (in the Utilities), so you don't have to install it.

My personal recommendation is to ignore all the user-friendly but space-consuming apps that people have written for the processes of partitioning and cloning. This is what you need, to be installed in this order:

1. rootsh ;

2. Fanoush's kernel_flasher and 48 MHz kernel (highly recommended though not absolutely necessary);

3. Fanoush's initfs_flasher, as detailed in sections 6 and 7 of http://examplified.net/guide//Nokia_...ting_from_MMC/ ;

4. The special version of tar described in section 11 of the same guide. (You will need to enable the repository for chinook similar to the one defined for gregale in section 3 of the guide. Alternatively, you could download the armel.deb directly from http://repository.maemo.org/pool/chinook/free/t/tar/ .)

If you have a Linux PC and a USB card reader, you do not even need e2fsprogs, because you can partition and format your MMC using GPartEd.

(Some of these items are unavailable from time to time. It is a good idea to save the .deb and .tar files for future use. Fortunately, there are no dependencies to worry about. If you can't get usable files, you might have to install one of the all-in-one apps instead.)

This has already been a long post, so I shall not get into my reasons for using OS2008HE. There is also a particular reason for running Mer now, but it is not important to you if you have been connecting to wifi successfully on OS2006 and 2007HE. Bunanson has a thread in praise of OS2008HE, and I agree with what he says there.

Last edited by scaler; 2010-08-21 at 18:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 78 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ the holy land
windows 7 ultimate

jolicloud v1 (debian)

nitdroid froyo

maemo 5

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Mableton, GA USA
Originally Posted by onion View Post
I have two 770 tablets, one running OS2006 and the other OS2007HE and I'm going to switch the 2007 on to 2008HE soon. That got me wondering, what is the most common OS in use on the 770 ?
Are you using HE if so why and if not why not ?
I have a pair of 770's which are running OS2006. It does what I want and it stable ... no reason to change. If I got a third table, tho, I'd use it as a guinea pig.

Tags
farting dust