Active Topics

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Philly
I got Einstein, the Newton emulator working on my 770.

http://homepage.mac.com/dillera/PhotoAlbum6.html

More info at my blog as this progresses......
http://www.dillernet.com/apple/

Let us know when you get it all worked out - I want to do this!

Posts: 39 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Newport Beach, CA
Just wondering how fast it is running. I would think it's a tad sluggish given the limited CPU on the 770. It'd be cool if the speed was usable and if it could be used in portrait mode thus maximizing more of the available screen real estate...

Dave

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Wow.

I mean...

No, still: Wow.

I know Paul Guyot said it would be relatively simple to recompile Einstein for different machines, but... well, wow.

The speed issue: Einstein in its current incarnation is not yet completely optimized for speed and without a functional Relativity layer (which I assume would be the biggest job on the Nokia 770 platform) speed really isn't the biggest concern anyway.

Questions for Dillera: Have you tried changing the orientation of the screen? Does the HWR actually work?

I would be ecstatic if they re-compiled it simply for full-screen, landscape mode, for nostalgia reasons. If I could get the sandbox to work on my PC at home, I would re-compile it myself. Uh, that is, if the source code is available.

Originally Posted by michaelalanjones
I would be ecstatic if they re-compiled it simply for full-screen, landscape mode, for nostalgia reasons. If I could get the sandbox to work on my PC at home, I would re-compile it myself. Uh, that is, if the source code is available.

It's funny... because I purchased the Nokia 770 because it had some of the same features that the Newton MessagePad 2000 had back when I was at Apple.

Between the MP2000 and the N770 I ended up with a Palm IIIxe, which spent most of its time irritating me more than assisting me.

PDA is not supposed to stand for Personal Digital Annoyance. ;-)

-JMills happy again in N770 land.

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Can't wait until a full port of this is done - but then what? What happens to things the Newton never supported like - COLOR?

Originally Posted by thoughtfix
Can't wait until a full port of this is done - but then what? What happens to things the Newton never supported like - COLOR?

Why we use faux-greyscale of course!

Newton OS in Sepiatone! ;-)

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Just one detail that I -- and others -- overlooked:

Einstein is not an emulator in the sense that it is some kind of clean-room rewrite of the Newton OS; it uses the actual code from a Newton MessagePad 2X00 ROM.

This means that, in order to run Einstein legally, a user must also own a Newton MessagePad with its ROM (the ROM is actually extracted from the MP and used by Einstein).

But don't fret, Newtons are cheap -- for the moment...

Wow - impressive. But couldn't it run landscape to take advantage of all the screen ?