Closed Thread
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I still think that NOKIA will pull it thru. Many are rooting for Windows, including carriers. They do not like one device to dominate so much. The competition is on, and I do believe that NOKIA will do fine.

The Maemo/Meego apologizers here, face it: N9 and N900 are dumb phones. They stutter, lag, dont do things properly, many, many problems. If you owned a robot or a car that had so many bugs, you be filing a complaint with your state or goverment and invoke a lemon law.

Elop did the right thing. Whether it was timely or not, only market will tell. I own NOKIA stock, I own many NOKIA phones. I hope they do well.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
then why are you here? This is maemo.org not wp.org , wake up man, you are surely entering wrong forum

Simple. I own maemo devices.

Lol i have lumia too, you make no sense, go to lumia forum, dont cry here, okay, loool

I have Lumia too. Good initial try. not as good as iphone yet

and i dont like i$hit, lol, u just follower, ur too ordinary

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
OHHHHH...Wrong!

But still the best explanation so far

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia so it the one true answer!

"A smartphone is...<snip>...smartphones in the past."
Hot damn! Chuck Norris kickin' ***!

Thanks for that posting--although, I still think mine is, as you said, a far better definition.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Theyr wipeing WP cause theyr are followers. I am sure they will some other OS when Android is doomed. So facts is this has NOTHING to do with Nokias shitty decisions.

LG is very small player. I am sure they will be killed before Nokia even if WP fails.
The irony of your calling THEM a leader is that they made a decision that was probably based purely on the fact of the matter that Android makes them far more money and is far more flexible for them to work with. More importantly, I'd argue that you would be a poor and stupid business if you persist in making phones that customers aren't buying up and clearly don't want.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I nearly apologised again (very English) but you'd probably lecture me for that too.
Not really, but if you didn't try to frame it as an insult it might have instead been much more better received. Now it reads as BOTH insincere AND an insult, where before it might have simply read as an opinion. It's hardly a language barrier and more of a tactical blunder. For example, I'm pointing this out to you so that you might understand and perhaps keep it in mind when you communicate to Americans. You can interpret it as an insult if you want but I'm not going to apologize for it. If you take it as an insult then you'll miss out on some possibly good information, or at the very least an opportunity to explain yourself better if it's not understood the way you wanted.

I live near Mildenhall and Lakenheath so I encounter Americans more often than you appreciate, a fair few have children at the local school with my own. My sister-in-law married a US serviceman and I'd say my nephews are very much American.
...For example, the above. You could have simply framed your original statements better with information like this if someone questioned your opinion. Instead, you're pointing this out just to explain why you weren't trying to be insulting--a bad reason to have to relate this information.

That said my view on the US perspective of smartphones is really based on the output of US tech sites, blogs and the comments sections they contain. It's obvious many have absolutely no idea of NOKIA / Symbian's heritage and the roll they've played in making smartphones what they are today.
Perhaps, could it be because Nokia has had so little heritage and role in making smartphones what they are today in the US? Sometimes, you can easily forget that you're criticizing a country full of people who are now grown adults and never heard of the name Nokia except as that cheap plastic throw-away phone at the 7-Eleven convenience store, sitting right next to the alcohol. Yes, the sad fact is that 20-something year olds REALLY never had any other exposure to Nokia, thanks to--guess who?--Nokia. They decided to ignore an entire continent, so hey pay that price.

Due to spats with carriers NOKIA didn't conquer North America in the same way it did the rest of the globe so I understand the general population not knowing but I think anyone who's going to masquerade as a tech journalist rather than just a punter with an opinion owes it to their readers to do a bit of research.
They barely TRIED to "conquer" North America, carriers or not. They barely made their presence known aside from the cheap junk phones they eventually commonly became known for in the United States. Tech journalists can hardly be blamed for not knowing a brand that had so little to do with their own market. I'm pretty certain you don't know plenty of US companies and entities that had much to do with many things you now take for granted and I don't expect journalists in a foreign press to necessarily pay attention to them either. If Nokia was serious about "conquering" North American carriers, they would have made better efforts to make their presence known and to sell to the customers. They didn't try to sell what customers wanted, didn't take care of customers competitively (better support, better repair SLA's, point of presence like kiosks, etc.) and were asking for and ended up losing out in the end. We've been repeating those suggestions here and elsewhere over the years, but Nokia doesn't seem to care.

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Interestingly it completely avoids mentioning Windows. It is so funny how the guy avoids answering the question "what kind of phone is that?" He knows that the moment he says the word "Windows", her perception of him will drop a few notches. The same is true of the consumers watching that commercial.
That might also explain why the XBOX division is one of the few successes in Microsoft; By leaving out the 'Windows' name, they've probably improved its image MANY times over. The moment Microsoft decides to throw 'Windows' into the name of a game console, watch how many people will avoid it like the plague for exactly the reason you pointed out. Even just thinking about it made my gut queeze just a little bit.

Originally Posted by Zoxir View Post
You know your platform is a big fail when carriers might support it so they can put pressure on someone else to share the profit and if they do then the carriers will probably send win phails down the toilet along with Nokia and probably Ballmer.

I don't think Elop is allowed to call Ballmer during none business hours he probably has to call some other dude at MS which will then decide if ballmer should wake up at talk to his biaatch at Nokia
I seem to remember Balmer throwing his chair across the room and saying (quoting word for word, here): "****ing Eric Schmidt is a ****ing *****. I’m going to ****ing bury that guy, I have done it before, and I will do it again. I’m going to ****ing kill Google."

How's that temper working out for you and your company, Balmer? Just, please.. if you do take it out on Elop, make sure you post the video. Preferably to YouTube so we can all see it. Oh wait... YouTube! Just.. post it... somewhere?

Lastly...
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
The Maemo/Meego apologizers here, face it: N9 and N900 are dumb phones. They stutter, lag, dont do things properly, many, many problems. If you owned a robot or a car that had so many bugs, you be filing a complaint with your state or goverment and invoke a lemon law.
How many times have we established that the N900 is a pocket computer with a cellular modem attached?

Anyways, I sure don't complain to HP, when, say the laptop that I bought (with full knowledge of its specifications, lower than the average PC at time of purchase) boots Windows 7 in only 2 minutes instead of my desktop with SATA III SLC SSDs in RAID0 boots the same in 15 seconds.

Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
How many times have we established that the N900 is a pocket computer with a cellular modem attached?

Anyways, I sure don't complain to HP, when, say the laptop that I bought (with full knowledge of its specifications, lower than the average PC at time of purchase) boots Windows 7 in only 2 minutes instead of my desktop with SATA III SLC SSDs in RAID0 boots the same in 15 seconds.
I always knew that you are DA man

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
and i dont like i$hit, lol, u just follower, ur too ordinary
Unfollow with inferior product, oh yea, unfollow, unfollow, unfollow..........blindly unfollow and blindly fall into a big blind spot

Closed Thread

Tags
goodbye nokia, investing, last quotes, lumiatard, samsung, specc=ericsson, stock, the elop flop, the flop elop, tizen