Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
HEADS UP! A couple of brand new malware have been spotted on Android!

One is an old fee-deduction trick that crossed over from the Symbian world (thanks, Symbian):
"Fee-Deduction" Malware Targeting Android Devices Spotted in the Wild

The other is a newer version of the Droid Dream malware that spread around recently, and made by the same fine folks that brought you the last bit of disaster:
30,000 to 120,000 Android Users Affected by New Variant of Droid Dream Malware

I, for one, sincerely hope that malware/virus/etc authors eat **** and die.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
ARTICLE: 5 ways in which Apple's iOS is playing catch up with Google's Android

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news...-up-to-google/

Indeed so.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Android has some new developer tools! Introducing the new Eclipse plug-in:

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...e-plug-in.html
I/O VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oq05KqjXTvs

As a relatively new Java developer, and more importantly, an new Eclipse user (it really is an exceptional IDE for development), these tools look incredibly exciting for rapid development!

I am toying with the notion of developing an Android app, though I'm clueless about what to write. At the very least, these tools ease my mind that jumping into this somewhat exotic environment will be quite painless.

I'm interested in dabbling in OpenGL, though uses beyond a game seem non-existent.

One thing is certain: I'm loving development in Java. The thing that blows my mind is that I can deploy on windows, linux, OSX, Android, the web, etc, etc, with a singular codebase, or at the very least, a tremendous amount of re-use. Win.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Here is a developer talking about his experience with the Amazon App Store:

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/news...azon-appstore/

From your perspective, is it worth it?
A little late, but I admit it, I'm an app of the day person. Why? Most apps are already in the market, and as before, why buy an app with DRM when I don't have too?

Case in point, I got weatherbug elite from amazon. Works fine on my S7, crashes every few days on my vibrant and demands to be reinstalled. So now my vibrant just has the free weatherbug app. I suspect it's a problem authenticating itself. I know you have to have logged into amazon before the amazon apps work.

That's 2 strikes.

Come to think of it, amazon is blocked from 3g data (droidwall). I wonder if it occasionally re-authenticates apps when in use? The S7 can only update the weather on wifi, and amazon can re-authenticate via wifi. My vibrant can check weather on 3g, but can't re-authenticate via 3g = crash?

Possible 3rd stike if amazon has to use 3g data (from a limited plan) to verify apps occasionally. All the more reason to buy them via market if available and useful.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
A little late, but I admit it, I'm an app of the day person. Why? Most apps are already in the market, and as before, why buy an app with DRM when I don't have too?

Case in point, I got weatherbug elite from amazon. Works fine on my S7, crashes every few days on my vibrant and demands to be reinstalled. So now my vibrant just has the free weatherbug app. I suspect it's a problem authenticating itself. I know you have to have logged into amazon before the amazon apps work.

That's 2 strikes.

Come to think of it, amazon is blocked from 3g data (droidwall). I wonder if it occasionally re-authenticates apps when in use? The S7 can only update the weather on wifi, and amazon can re-authenticate via wifi. My vibrant can check weather on 3g, but can't re-authenticate via 3g = crash?

Possible 3rd stike if amazon has to use 3g data (from a limited plan) to verify apps occasionally. All the more reason to buy them via market if available and useful.
Even though I've not really run into problems with this so far, I KNOW this is the case and I even go out of my way to uninstall and install an app from the Android Market once it is no longer exclusive to Amazon and becomes available on the Android Market JUST because of that DRM.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
This is really cool...

Samsung has given a Cyanogen Mod developer a free Galaxy S2 to promote development of the OS on the S2:

http://www.androidcentral.com/cyanog...thanks-samsung

Samsung sure knows how to win the hearts of the community.

A great PR move.
We on the Samsung boards raised well over 3k to get the other devs one as well. A notice went up today that dev work started on CM7 for the SII today. Good times baby - good times.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bratag For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Received my Transformer yesterday afternoon at the office, so I didn't have much time to play around with it. Only installed and updated some apps.

When I arrived home from work I only used it for 10 min...

My GF took over the Transformer, lying down on our huge double lovesac in the living room... BIG mistake handing it to her

While she was playing with it searching for some restaurants and stuff, I was installing some HC optimized apps on it using my desktop directly from the market

Got the update to 3.1 this morning.
This thing is sweet!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to H3llb0und For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Received my Transformer yesterday afternoon at the office, so I didn't have much time to play around with it. Only installed and updated some apps.

When I arrived home from work I only used it for 10 min...

My GF took over the Transformer, lying down on our huge double lovesac in the living room... BIG mistake handing it to her

While she was playing with it searching for some restaurants and stuff, I was installing some HC optimized apps on it using my desktop directly from the market

Got the update to 3.1 this morning.
This thing is sweet!
I hate you.

...it' s a good hate, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Here's a very cool 3D test model that was prepared for the Galaxy Tab:
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaGLUdydC58

Beautiful use of geometry and post processing effects. I'd love to see this in a game, so here hopes the developer has something else in store.

The Tab has really impressive graphics performance (PVR SGX540), and I assume that the majority of this is being processed in-gpu (I should hope anyway).

Masterfully done.

If you had to guess, which would you suppose would take the most damage from a waist-high drop? The iPad2, the Galaxy Tab, or Motorola Xoom.

Find out the results of a non-scientific bit of fun below!

http://androidandme.com/2011/06/vide...oom-or-ipad-2/
VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW_swJiebIA

Were you surprised?

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy