Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
Wow I'm boring. Might list is very long since getting the N900:

N900
That is a bit odd since your nick suggests your intrests would lie elsewhere...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Mine was N900 ----- DVP & N950 (Using DVP due to N950 lack of storage expansion) ----- N950 & Z10 (Realised how bad Windows OS is.) ----- N950 & Jolla (Keept using N950 for HW keyboard) ----- BB Passport ----- BB Priv (Worst BB ever) ----- Xperia Z5

Jolla's hardware was a big disappointment.

Never loved Android, but gesture control + limited multitasking I can live with that for now. Since BB10 is almost abandoned now SFOS is the only remaining option. Personally look forward to FP2 but if that doesn't come out will probably buy Intex Fish as my next device.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, albeit only as a second phone. I foolishly switched to Jolla for my main phone and although I wish I hadn't and much as I've been longing to, moving back to the N900 is nigh impossible due to the SIM card size incompatibility. Well done Jolla, your decision to use the small format for no reason whatsoever has resulted in a device lock-in. Well done.
I kept the frame I pulled the small SIM card from. That way I can switch back whenever I want.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
That is a bit odd since your nick suggests your intrests would lie elsewhere...
My nick predates Android by several years. Unfortunately a lot of people come to the wrong conclusion because of Googles product. Android was released September 23, 2008. My nick came from a friend during school, probably around 2000-2001.

At the time I didn't have internet access at home but was still into Half-Life and Counterstrike, TFC etc. Unfortunately, the only option for me was to use bots. There were several (HPB being one of the biggest names at the time), but for CS, there was Android (https://web.archive.org/web/20030210...e.net/android/). From that he gave me the nick Android_808 (808 from Bob but pronounced as 8 0 8).

Have a knack for using names/ideas that become products by someone else. My 3D engine I started around 2004 was called Chameleon, because the idea was touse it to fit/blend in with several projects. Now there have been several with the same name, one I just googled even has an almost identical logo. Weird as I never publicly released any info on it.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
N900 -> N900.

waiting for a sailfish OS capable smartphone with good hardware which is capable of running android apps.

It is amazing the level of customization it got with scripts and apps i developed for this device during the last 6 years i own it - just thinking about porting all/most of them (which i use daily) makes it a very hard decision to leave it behind.

i will eventually do that, hopefully soon because it's too weak and missing modern hardware - in the meantime i'm going around with a nexus 7 as media consumption device (youtube, waze, browsing etc.).

i will only move to a new device after being sure all customizations will be possible on it also.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
My Smartphone History, always with nokia
E65 - E71 - E72 - N9 locked - Jolla - N9 unlocked

I was changing to smartphone for VoIP integration, the best Phone here was the E71, still my Backup. VoIP, VPN, Encryption - all as OS integrated. the E72 had then lacks in VoIP, never work like the E71.

Than the N9 and for help Jolla y buyed that in Europe. But in the Jolla i miss VoIP integration, VPN is possible with an app, Encryption not.

So y buyed a new N9 64GB and will use it since there an alternative. Dont see it

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
My Smartphone History, always with nokia
E65 - E71 - E72 - N9 locked - Jolla - N9 unlocked
Hmmm....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by explit View Post
I think, the hardcore Linux guys and other freaks (incl. me) will still use N900. In 2016 and 2017. Because there are NO alternatives..
That's actually not true, BQ has phones running Ubuntu (http://www​.bq.com/es/aquaris-e5-ubuntu-edition). I'm eyeing one of those to replace my N900 if it dies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by explit View Post
I think, the hardcore Linux guys and other freaks (incl. me) will still use N900. In 2016 and 2017. Because there are NO alternatives..
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
That's actually not true, BQ has phones running Ubuntu (http://www​.bq.com/es/aquaris-e5-ubuntu-edition). I'm eyeing one of those to replace my N900 if it dies.
Well, if we REALLY start nitpicking there's plenty of devices that run Linux, it is just that they are lacking GNU/Linux.

I'm talking of course of Android; down under where it matters (kernel, filesystems, device stacks) it is through and through Linux all the way. It is just the userland that is lacking; the versatile and beautiful glibc & GNU toolchains is replaced with braindead bionic and its ilk.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
also Meizu has a device with Ubuntu
http://www.ubuntu.com/phone/devices

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to napaDokc For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, successor