Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Yeah, I get you're trying to promote what you have done, but half your posts come across like spam, barely related and sometimes not at all to the topic being discussed. And that is hardly a valid reason to denigrate Con Kolivas's work, and imply he doesn't really know what he is doing.

P.S. Your sig is overly large and comes across as obnoxious, can you try to tidy it and make it smaller.
That's not true! Every post from me is related to coding and tune-up! For example I'm also looking for the fleury and hierholzer algo which is in part a key algo for augmentend reality. Also I don't think my sig is too big. Not at the moment!

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
That's not true! Every post from me is related to coding and tune-up! For example I'm also looking for the fleury and hierholzer algo which is in part a key algo for augmentend reality. Also I don't think my sig is too big. Not at the moment!
But they aren't related to this topic. If you want to talk about them, then it is probably better to create your own thread about them. And your sig is bigger than the text of most of your posts, that counts as too big IMO. This has gone quite offtopic, so I'm not going to discuss it further in this thread.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
But they aren't related to this topic. If you want to talk about them, then it is probably better to create your own thread about them. And your sig is bigger than the text of most of your posts, that counts as too big IMO. This has gone quite offtopic, so I'm not going to discuss it further in this thread.
That isn't true! If you know about augmented reality then u will know about fleury and hierholzer algo as tree and also u will know about breadt-first and depth-first alog also u will know that ingo's scheduler is just a red-black tree with some tuneable paramter how he search the tree! If I'm right a scheduler can be build from a quadtree, too. A quadtree offers other benifits but is usually used in distributing algo power to multi-cpu situations.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
Okay, so I got the go-ahead from lxp (some days ago) to post the modules freely. Sorry for the delay, I've just been so busy lately. The modules do require a slightly modified kernel, as the rx51power_defconfig requires CONFIG_CFG80211=m - by default it's set to y, perhaps this could be changed for -bfs6? I've also added two patches to the default kernel: one which iDont himself recommended to me (but was unsure whether it was draining more battery, so didn't include it in bfs5), to do with anti I/O stalling - for details go here; the other I found myself, which makes the nandsim module work on the N900 - without it, there isn't enough memory to simulate 256MB of nand (and run anything on the system) and there's no way of creating a backing file. Details of that one can be found here (neither patch needed modifying to apply to BFS so I left them exactly as found on the pages linked).

I have tested the debs myself on my N900 and lxp's modules against the new kernel - everything works for me, at least, but of course, YMMV..

http://ifile.it/uh697nz/kernel-bfs_2...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/mws48k1/kernel-bfs-m...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/93xaj2f/kernel-bfs-h...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/wm3rck2/linux-kernel...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/c07nkrv/kernel-bfs-b...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/we6jrc0/kernel-bfs-f...bfs5_armel.deb
http://ifile.it/si1jpk7/lxp-modules_2.6.28-bfs5.tar.bz2
Attached Files
File Type: deb fcam-drivers_1.0.7-2_armel.deb (128.4 KB, 119 views)
File Type: deb kernel-power-settings_0.11_armel.deb (10.8 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt mtd-nandsim-add-cache_file-option.diff.txt (9.6 KB, 177 views)
File Type: txt vanilla-2.6.28-anti-io-stalling.diff.txt (4.4 KB, 161 views)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:
Thanks a lot! I've very good result in speed increase with this switch
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_compat_yield but then i get random reboots. Can anybody confirm this please?

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-01-26 at 21:36.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
I'd gladly test the setting but I don't have a sched_compat_yield in my /proc/sys/kernel and so I can't write to it

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
Thanks a lot! I've very good result in speed increase with this switch
echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_compat_yield but then i get random reboots. Can anybody confirm this please?
Please stop cluttering this thread. Sched_compat_yield is a tunable for CFS and therefore completely irrelevant to this thread; it doesn't exist in kernel-bfs.

Your last five posts are unrelated to (kernel-)bfs. If you want to discuss things like augmented reality or scheduler models, I recommend starting a new thread. This isn't meant offensive, just pointing it out.

Originally Posted by Tigerite View Post
Okay, so I got the go-ahead from lxp (some days ago) to post the modules freely. Sorry for the delay, I've just been so busy lately. The modules do require a slightly modified kernel, as the rx51power_defconfig requires CONFIG_CFG80211=m - by default it's set to y, perhaps this could be changed for -bfs6?
Will be done

Originally Posted by Tigerite View Post
I've also added two patches to the default kernel: one which iDont himself recommended to me (but was unsure whether it was draining more battery, so didn't include it in bfs5), to do with anti I/O stalling - for details go here;
That pretty much sums it up. Also, as Adam said himself, the patch needs some testing. I can push it to the kernel-bfs tree, but won't enable it by default for that reason. I didn't experience any problems while using it, although I had the feeling of accelerated battery drain (hard to determine though) as you said. Quantitative tests is what we need

I'll send you a PM regarding the nandsim patch later today.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
any chance of getting an tiny "multiboot" item/enabler DEB as well for this kernel ? Then it could be an (almost) eyes-closed install

Also, do we know upfront how much root space the total of these DEBs will take ? Just as a precaution ...

Thanks for the effort so far !!

The bootimg provides the flasher-capable kernel. It shouldn't be difficult to drop and create a new .ITEM and append -bfs5 to the loader.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
any chance of getting an tiny "multiboot" item/enabler DEB as well for this kernel ?
Assuming that you already have multiboot and the latest version of this kernel installed:
  • install the bootimg
  • open xterm
  • become root (root or sudo gainroot)
  • cd /boot/multiboot
  • cp zImage-2.6.28-bfs5 vmlinuz-2.6.28-bfs5
  • cd /etc/multiboot.d
  • vi BFS.item (or leafpad BFS.item) -> insert the following text
ITEM_NAME="Maemo BFS"
ITEM_KERNEL="2.6.28-bfs5"
ITEM_MODULES=ext3
  • save and close
  • reboot leaving keyboard open