Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by zzzchainzzz View Post
i did as u instructed but its says

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldnt find package mp-fremantle-community
You forgot the star. But joerg_rw who seems to be more qualified than other posters around (including me) warns against using apt-get

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Updated via ham, didnt see the "do not update" but it downloaded and installed ok, running fine

does this update provide our n900 with the new firmware 21.2011.38-1?

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
E: Couldnt find package mp-fremantle-community
that is because the package is called mp-fremantle-community-pr
so you have to run apt-get install mp-fremantle-community-pr as last command

also in case of cssu updates as opposed to normal package updates one should run
Code:
dsmetool -b
does this update provide our n900 with the new firmware 21.2011.38-1?
it does provide the new packages

Last edited by merlin1991; 2011-11-20 at 14:29.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 150 | Thanked: 169 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Sweden
A smooth and effortless update with HAM for me. Thanks for all the work you've put into this, guys. It's very much appreciated.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@all who want CSSU installation to be supported trough FAM - it won't happen. HAM supports functionality focused on firmware updates while FAM and apt-get don't. And it does not make sense CSSU deves/maintainers to test every software out there that could be used to install some packages.

On the other hand I know joerg hates HAM. You can think for a while why then he insist you to use it for the CSSU updates. Maybe then you will stop bloating this thread further with stupid question/requirements.
What about the pc-suite nonsense?
He may insist all he wants, but it is completely non-functional as it is, it refuses to install the CSSU.
The only options that actually work are apt-get and FAM.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 125 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
What about the pc-suite nonsense
it seems like nobody reads the docs:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ

in particular:
Originally Posted by http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ
Q: I can't update, as I get the message: TO UPDATE YOUR DEVICE TO THIS VERSION OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM YOU MUST USE NOKIA PC SUITE ON YOUR PC. CONNECT THE DEVICE TO YOUR PC VIA A USB CABLE AND LAUNCH THE APPLICATION.

A: RTFM. Specifically, see the banner at the top of this page(!): the message is misleading. In the majority of the cases, it is either needed to free up some disk space or fix some conflicts with other packages. Before taking any action, check the "Problems" tab in the dialog for more details.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to merlin1991 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by merlin1991 View Post
it seems like nobody reads the docs:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_SSU/Installation_FAQ

in particular:
i used faster app man when it gave me the pcsuit error.... worked like a charm..

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
What about the pc-suite nonsense?
He may insist all he wants, but it is completely non-functional as it is, it refuses to install the CSSU.
The only options that actually work are apt-get and FAM.
While it is possible to install through HAM, it's so much troublesome (at least, in some cases), that I doubt it's worth effort.

I'm quite disappointed by responses given to my question - not the fact that CSSU devs insist on using HAM, that's ok - rather by the fact, that I kindly asked *technical* information about what exactly HAM does differently. freemangordon was closest to provide satisfying answer - talking about "firmware upgrade" - but, still, it's far from pointing out actual differences ("focused on firmware upgrade" may mean everything and nothing).

Of course, it's not problem for me, and if CSSU devs consider this (seriously) "bugging with stupid questions", I can live with that. Still, please do not put into mine (and others) words, that were not used - I haven't asked for support upgrading through FAM. I was just interested in detailed differences in handling such updates between managers.

that said, I'm sure community will fill this gap with reports - I'm "backuped" enough, to "risk" updating CSSU by FAM and report back, for others interested - I'm sure some other people will be happy to report too.

---

After installing (visible from "all" categories, *not* user-only) packages that were left behind (apparently, due to missing dependency entries in Tmaemo1, but, whatever...), everything seems to work *fine*. Will report on any issues.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Hey CSSU testers,
We (the developers) try to produce a nice bugfree "distro" that can install on every system and does NOT require any cmdline apt-get voodoo or installation of alternative app-managers.
Do you think you could help on achieving this goal by trying to use HAM to install CSSU updates the way we designed things to work, and do at very least proper bug reports, and maybe as much investigating as you can do on reasons of and how to possibly fix any issues you run into?

Thank you very much for all your testing effort and the great support you're giving us.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2011-11-20 at 16:32.

The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
community ssu, f**k nokia, fremantle, maemo 5, nokia-who?, portrait mode, rotate, task-switcher, update, upgrade