Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
I am using OS2008 (latest version: RX-44_2008SE_2.2007.51-3_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin) and it turns out that applications CAN NOT be organized.

I get into Settings -> Control Panel -> Panels -> Organize button (next to applications label)

And I can actually select and drag ANY icon into any other folder on the left side of that window. The issue is that applications get no organized at all. The dragged icon kind of "falls back" (so to say) to where it was and nothing happens.

I do can create "New Category" and even "Delete it" but icons can not be moved from any given folder (category) to another.

Also, I have read suggestions of doing the dragging slowly...and very slowly...and even more slowly. Have done it to no avail.

It seems many others are experiencing this behavior. Who can confirm?

Any hints on how to fix it ? Or, is this a plain unsolved bug yet ?

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ California, USA
My experience has been that the menu/app organizing stuff has always been flaky, and I haven't figured out if selecting/dragging things in a particular way leads to more or less success. I usually just keep fiddling with the dragging until something (finally) works... sounds silly... but maybe I'm just agreeing... yeah, it does suck, common issue, etc...

I'm running the 51.3 update, but I don't remember things being any more reliable in 50.2 or the stock install before any updates.

It's not about dragging slowly. I think it's about how you release the pen from the screen to drop the icon. Try to do it without dragging it a tiny bit, as is hard to avoid.

I had a 50% success rate in dragging the icons off the bat which quickly went to 90% or so when I realized how touchy it is. My guess is that you're overthinking it and/or not very dexterous (sorry).

The Following User Says Thank You to bexley For This Useful Post:
I just experimented with that the other day and it seemed to me that dragging from icon to icon worked better than dragging from icon to name or vise versa.

Hmm, I am on an N800 with OS2008, and have found that it works best if you drop the program on the folder icon, not the folder name. It only bounces back for me if I try to drop on the name.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Ok, there are two separate threads going on about this AT THE SAME TIME. They are in Newbie and Troubleshooting. You might want to check the other one. To summarize -- you move quickly, not slowly, and you just drop it a bit across the center line. It almost always works for me once I discovered this method.

Originally Posted by bexley View Post
It's not about dragging slowly. I think it's about how you release the pen from the screen to drop the icon. Try to do it without dragging it a tiny bit, as is hard to avoid.

I had a 50% success rate in dragging the icons off the bat which quickly went to 90% or so when I realized how touchy it is. My guess is that you're overthinking it and/or not very dexterous (sorry).
That worked for me. I can get them to change almost 100% of the time, just being careful to release the stylus without sliding. From a software point of view your suggestion makes sense.

Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
What works for me is this sequence "single tap, pause, tap and drag". It works most every time.

See also my thread comments about how it seems that screen calibration tap force sets the threshold force for tap detection. I used to have a lot of phantom taps when I did a calibration with a very delicate tap on the target. Now, I haven't had a phantom tap in weeks!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Hillsboro, Nh.
I was having issues with this too: maybe 1 time in 10 it would work.
After experimenting, I found I can now achieve 100% success.
Method: tap the application in the right side of the panel, release the stylus. Then tap and hold on the application, dragging it to the *name* area that you want it to go in to in the left panel. Then release it.
If you drag it and release it above the icon, not the name, it doesn't work for me.
Might be good to add this to a wiki.