Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Casanunda View Post
Seems like photos have to be taken in "landscape view". Is that supposed to be like this?
Did some tests and all the pictures I took in portrait mode result in complete rubbish shown after processing...

But in correct view, recognition is actually quite good (Language: German).
The images are rotated according to orientation sensor readings. This means that the images will end likely in wrong orientation if the camera is pointing down - there's no way to detect the orientation reliably in this situation. How could the phone know which is the correct orientation?

I will add an feature which allows to lock the orientation in camera mode.

The Following User Says Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Best results so far when Textractor used combined with Sailfish Scanner to make pictures.

The Following User Says Thank You to objectifnul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by objectifnul View Post
Best results so far when Textractor used combined with Sailfish Scanner to make pictures.
Similar feature is going to be added to Textractor.

I'm not sure if resuing Sailfish Scanner code is good solution for this since it would introduce additional dependencies to Python and to some Python modules. I believe I can replicate the same functionality with less code utilizing native QTransform class. However, depending on license (I didn't see any), the qml side could be useful to look at.

Excellent. One thing that makes sailfish-scanner an adequate image maker for Textractor (besides its edit features) is that it privileges short exposure time so it reduces the risk of fuzziness. Perhaps a good idea would be to allow short exposure time with ISO value increased accordingly.

I finally found some time to implement some new features. The work is still ongoing, but currently following new features are implemented:
  • orientation modes (automatic, portrait, landscape)
    • automatic mode uses orientation sensor to rotate the image, portrait and landscape will lock the orientation
  • Cropping possible after image has been taken/selected
    • Actually this performs a perspective correction & crop for a given quadrilateral:

I'll probably add support for text extraction from PDF files too. Some small enchancements for example to camera behaviour will be done too.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
There's now a pre-release available for testing: https://github.com/skvark/Textractor...ses/tag/v0.5-0

If there are no big bugs, I will push next release to the Jolla Store in near future.

Changelog:

New features:
  • Camera orientation modes: automatic, landscape, portrait
  • Cropping with perspective correction
  • Reordering in language selection dialog: already downloaded languages are on top of the list
  • Text extraction from PDF files
  • Preprocessed image now shows up at the processing page (known issue: some images show up completely black but in reality they are ok)
  • OCR status in application cover

Bug fixes:
  • Increased scaling factor for small images to prevent preprocessing error during background normalization
  • SFOS 2.0 specific: replace missing icons with available ones

Miscellaneous:
  • Update Tesseract OCR from 3.04rc1 to 3.04.00 release
  • Poll tesseract monitor faster (500 ms -> 250 ms)
  • Fixed some typos and updated hints page
  • Small UI fixes and changes

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
I added i486 build to GitHub: https://github.com/skvark/Textractor...ses/tag/v0.6-0

Can someone who has the tablet test it? I can't test the app completely on emulator.

This version is identical to the phone version, no changes in code. Locked in portrait mode and doesn't look very good on the tablet. I'll add this version to the store if it works correctly. I will enhance the tablet UI when I have time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skvark View Post
I added i486 build to GitHub: https://github.com/skvark/Textractor...ses/tag/v0.6-0

Can someone who has the tablet test it?
Installed and it seems to work at least with finnish language.
Any specific test you would want me to try?

One usability proposal:
When cropping those corner points -> they are really close to edge so its difficult to move them without app starting to minimize.
So those "balls" could be little bit "in" all ready to make cropping easier.

The Following User Says Thank You to KylliOrvokki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by KylliOrvokki View Post
Installed and it seems to work at least with finnish language.
Any specific test you would want me to try?

One usability proposal:
When cropping those corner points -> they are really close to edge so its difficult to move them without app starting to minimize.
So those "balls" could be little bit "in" all ready to make cropping easier.
I'm mostly interested about the camera page and of course the app should not crash in any situation.

Yes, I have noticed the same usability issue and I'll fix it

I just noticed also that Harbour validation fails due to different allowed requires on i486 target (vs. armvhl7) so I have to make some changes to the app anyway before I can submit it to the store.

The Following User Says Thank You to skvark For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I take a picture from a Poker machine on CRT screen.

I want to extract all Counters from this machine to text format.

I select French and English languages but No/bad results.

Check attached pictures.

Why it's not possible to have all numbers correctly?

Thanks for help.
Attached Images