Posts: 82 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Dear all,

Probably some of you are let down by how Nokia handles the people that spent £500 on a device that will be (Just so people won't start beating me up here I would like to change "will be" to "may be") dropped with next software update.
I've been working with Nokia for the past 8 years, and I have the privilege to address the issues to high ranked executives in that Monster Corporation.
Hence I would like to ask you, fellow users, to contribute to this open letter that will be sent to them.

Thing that will be included:
1) Will or will not n900 support MeeGo, if not what will happen to maemo5.

I for once will be probably dropping nokia as my device supplier. Not for the reasons of not liking the device, but the company policies. Also, if you would be kind enough to sign under this letter (or let me use you signature for the purpose of it) it would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.

Last edited by groeit; 2010-02-16 at 17:23.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to groeit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by groeit View Post
(Just so people won't start beating me up here I would like to change "will be" to "may be") dropped with next software update.
Even though you changed it, you're still making an utterly baseless claim. Stop fearmongering and making "Letters to Nokia" when you have zero backing for your statements.

I welcome you to prove your point, however.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin TX
Some questions:

In what capacity have you been "Working with Nokia" for the past 8years?
What makes you believe they will take your letter anymore seriously than a troll post on a message board?

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland
What device are you talking about? N900? MeeGo doesn't mean Nokia wouldn't support N900 and the existing Maemo5 platform. In fact, the PR1.2 software update is being worked on as we speak - with numerous bug fixes.

Talk about dropping the support...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mattiviljanen For This Useful Post:
Meh, it wouldn't hurt to sign.

Everyone, please repeat after me: Maemo 6/MeeGo should be available for the N900 no matter what.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I was all sold on buying the SonyEricsson Xperia X10 until i noticed N900 with debian based Maemo. I use Ubuntu on my desktop which also are built from debian. I changed my desktop to Ubuntu cause of my disliking of rpm. If the Maemo project had gone on my next device would probably have been a Nokia. Now i am not to sure anymore.

My three demands are:
1. Free and Open
2. Debian
3. GTK+ apps

I think the merge with Intel was correct but the move from debian to rpm crazy. I do not choose a device be cause of hardware. I choose it be cause of it's operating system.

/Daniel.

Last edited by AlMehdi; 2010-02-16 at 17:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
@ wmarone, previous experience with Nokia as a company and not holding to it's product roadmaps (mostly due to wrong supply chain management). I strongly believe that we should be either assured of the fact that n900 will be supported by meego, or that it wont. So people may stop buying phone that will be dropped (probably also by quite a few developers) after half a year.

@Strive, in sourcing/procurement for both NPI and already existing product lines.
I'm in Nokia every month on average, and I believe they will take at least the time to reply to my email purely because they know my face for years. And them ignoring it would be purely rude.

@mattiviljanen, well I would expect major bugs to be fixed to be honest. That's the unwritten promise we all got form Nokia when buying a device that was still in 'Beta' stages.

Last edited by groeit; 2010-02-16 at 17:26.

Originally Posted by groeit View Post
I'm in Nokia every month on average, and I believe they will take at least the time to reply to my email purely because they know my face for years. And them ignoring it would be purely rude.
I'm in my girlfriend more often than that and she still ignores me most of the time so that doesn't mean much.

Also, don't you think it would be highly unprofessional of you to use your professional/customer connections in order to convey your consumer concerns?

I can only imagine if a vendor came to me and wanted to bring up some 'open letter' he had crayola'd together with a bunch of anonymous people on the internet...Don't think I'd be using his services again.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Tintin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I can't help as I don't feel let down. Maybe that's partly because I'm relatively new around here. Maybe it's because I don't see the changes (for the most part) as a bad thing. But...

a. Jaaski blogged - from his N900 - that the N900 and users will not be forgotten.

b. qgil has made a point of extending an invitation here for the Maemo community to take part in the new MeeGo community yet to be developed.

c. Support for the N900 has not ended. On the contrary, it will get at least one more major update and compatibility with future software has been assured through Nokia's support of QT 4.6 in Maemo 5.

d. Nokia has opened up Maemo/MeeGo even further than it was, not less, and increased the chances of the platform not just surviving but prospering with a wider choice of hardware and software.

e. I feel better communication and information around here than I did in my Android days.

Other than that, I feel horribly abused...
Registered Linux user #266531.

Last edited by Crashdamage; 2010-02-17 at 00:32.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Man, I thought we got a firmware update today.. I guess it was just me then, weird..

The Following User Says Thank You to vode For This Useful Post: