Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I'm at work and haven't had opportunity to flash the new OS.

But I read this comment from TabulaRasa in the thread about the new release with Skype and Flash9:
When I run Gtalk and open the webcam, the camera shows up within Gtalk.
Well, I know there's a Google Talk plugin for PC's with a webcam that allow you to use video and even have video calls with Skype users. It's called Festoon. It came out last year, and I have no idea why I can't reach the festooninc.com website now. Out of business? Bought by somebody bigger? Just a bad day on the internet?

At any rate, maybe someone with the new OS could let us know more about the interplay between webcam, Google Talk and video calls with PC's using a Festooned Google Talk.

[See updates in main etnry]
Read the full article.

I'm going to post an image of what I see. I don't have a macro lens on my cell phone, so I'm sorry it's SOOOO blurry. I don't recall ever seeing a video window pop up within Gtalk. Maybe I am wrong here, but this time when I try to call another PC with Gtalk installed it says "remote client unable to support video." Not that the N800 can't, but that the PC cannot.

Not sure if it means anything. I always thought the video occured through a separate app. It might have always been this way. I only had a few video calls in the 6 months or so since I got the N800.
Attached Images

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Gillingham, UK
Hi

I was hunting around a couple of weeks ago for this google talk festoon plugin and the site was unavailable then also

Looks like their offline for good if it's still that way.

Google Talk on the N800 using 3.2007.10-7_PR does indeed make use of the camera and at the time that was what got me into searching the web for a desktop google talk client with video built in.

But alas I have yet to find said client or said plugin.

With what looks like the demise of the Nokia VOIP app I am in limbo with regards what use the cam has to offer on the N800 at the moment ?

There was some chatter on the forums hoping that the cam could interface with the web browser via flash 9 and allow us to use some online resource . .

So, any tableteers out there got this festoon plugin or a gtalk desktop client with video ?

TIA

Dave

If anybody wants to test out video calls using gtalk, my screenname on gtalk is drygrass@gmail.com. who knows? maybe we'll learn something if we try it.

My guess, though, is that the latest update concerns future capabilities. It might be little while before applications are made to take advantage of the camera. As for why flash does not see the camera, is it because it's not a supported driver?

Last edited by TabulaRasa; 2007-07-06 at 21:22.

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
Had a great GTalk video chat with TabulaRasa awhile ago... seemed to work just fine... Tab's in New Joisey... I'm in Nuevo Mexico!

... go figure

Omega

Posts: 238 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on May 2006 @ New Mexico, USA
oops! ... forgot to mention we were both on the N800!

Omega

The Following User Says Thank You to omegaone37 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Festoon is no longer supported... I try that months ago and is nothing but problems... if you go to there forum is a forum for spammers only...

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by omegaone37 View Post
Had a great GTalk video chat with TabulaRasa awhile ago... seemed to work just fine...

Omega
Strange that we DO get Skype and video internet calling in the release, just not Skype WITH video internet calling the way I have been projecting for all these many months.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Guys, its always been possible to video chat between two N800's over Google Talk.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
The real issue is GTalk between N800 and a desktop PC; that's what would be needed.