Active Topics

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
A splitscreen on a tablet? Cmon...

What I would love on a tablet is:
real user logon/differentiation (log in, e-mail, browsing, history, ...)
What about that?
Care to expand on that?
Pichlo already pointed out.
Imagine how you log on to your PC. In case of no-admin-access you have only access to your files, to your browser history, to your e-mail settings and so on ...

This is what I expect as a 'new' feature! (not winky blinky window tiles)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Pichlo already pointed out.
Imagine how you log on to your PC. In case of no-admin-access you have only access to your files, to your browser history, to your e-mail settings and so on ...

This is what I expect as a 'new' feature! (not winky blinky window tiles)
Ok, thx.
Personally I dont need that in a basic phone. If we can go for features i would vote real copy and paste or a faster more complete browser.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Dave,
we are talking about a tablet.
I agree, on a phone this may not really make sense.

But /and I agree to your other two points (especially cookies accepting site-by-site or fast JS enabling, just like MicroB ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Dave,
we are talking about a tablet.
I agree, on a phone this may not really make sense.

But /and I agree to your other two points (especially cookies accepting site-by-site or fast JS enabling, just like MicroB ).
Ohh...sorry. I thought it was valid for sailfish independent of device. Would never want tablet with sail in current state). For phone it's OK.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-27 at 19:58.

Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
stskeeps told on twitter that they don't intend to lock the bootloader.
Thanks, that's good news first of all and in theory loading another OS should be possible but it does leave some unanswered questions. Will the eMMC be available for offline partitioning and recovery from an external computer? Being x86-based I would assume GRUB would be installable. I've no experience of Atom-based systems so I've no idea about their limitations or if the boot process differs from a regular PC. Will it use UEFI, BIOS or something else? I don't particularly want to purchase a device based on assumptions hence why I asked about instructions.

I'd imagine that fans of Sailfish who aren't interested in Android support (there seem to be quite a few here) would also want this functionality in order to experiment with loading an alternative instance of Salifish that uses native Wayland drivers, a vanilla Linux kernel, etc.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following User Says Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
wicket, why don't you join #jollamobile and ask stskeeps? He got a prototype and told us he will try to boot soem linux distros on it. I'm sure hew ill be glad to answer your questions as good as he can or is allowed to. AFAIK it uses UEFI.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I suspect that the 32GB max is the good old FAT-format limitation. Sure, format it with extfs or something and you'll not face that problem, but the "industry standard" format is still based around the Microsoft formats, so you'll have trouble sharing that uSD card with other mobile devices.

So basically, paying to license exFAT gives you a level of compatibility with all the other junk already on the market today.
I am using a FAT32 formatted 64GB card on my S4 so no exFat doesn't mean end of the world.

Edit: reading comments from others about Jolla phone bring able to handle up to 128GB cards, it's clear this stretch goal is another of those BS marketing buzzwords like "truly open source OS".

Last edited by thedead1440; 2014-11-27 at 22:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
thedead1440 why should it be BS? Don't you think that an exFAT license costs alot of money? Just because you don't use or need it, doesn't mean ordinary users won't. For them it needs exFAT, as those cards come preformated.

Will the bashing ever end?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The last time I bought a 64GB USB stick, it came pre-formated as FAT32. But anyway - don't you think that providing a "Format SD card" feature in Settings would be faster, cheaper and, by any measure, better than any exFAT could ever be?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
thedead1440 why should it be BS? Don't you think that an exFAT license costs alot of money? Just because you don't use or need it, doesn't mean ordinary users won't. For them it needs exFAT, as those cards come preformated.

Will the bashing ever end?
Well for those ordinary users there are many droid tabs out there. Why line M$ pockets for their proprietary format when a simple format to FAT32 option is enough? Even CM on Android have stopped supporting exFat.

On a lighter note since their other two software stretch goals are aiming for Q3 2015, integrating such an option may take up to Q3 2015 too or simply soon(TM)

Last edited by thedead1440; 2014-11-27 at 23:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks