Sorry for the overlap with this and the existing thread about the N9 (not) coming to the UK, but for what it is worth I thought you should see that it is possible to get a reply from Stephen Elop (well maybe I am being naive - it could just be a PA etc)

Here's what's been written:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thank you for your quick reply, I can only once again appeal to you to listen to your customers, but that said I am somewhat relieved to hear that you are endorsing online sales of the N9 in the UK.

Regards,

(NAME)

From: stephen.elop@nokia.com [mailto:stephen.elop@nokia.com]
Sent: 11 August 2011 02:12
To: o_***** @hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Problem purchasing Nokia in the UK

Thanks for the note.

We do expect to have N9 available through some online resellers. That being said, it is also our intention to have Windows Phone based products which themselves are a great user experience and that beat the competition. Indeed, consumer research including in the UK encourages us that this will be achieved.

I hope we can meet your needs one way or the other.

Regards,

Stephen

Sent: Thursday, August 11, 2011 02:01
To: Elop Stephen (Nokia/Espoo)
Subject: Problem purchasing Nokia in the UK

Dear Mr Elop,

I am writing to express my concern at the decision not to sell the forthcoming Nokia N9 mobile telephone, in the UK. I have been a loyal Nokia customer for the past decade. With regards to your strategic decision to pursue the Windows Phone operating system, I am indeed sceptical. As a London based television editor I have a keen insight into consumer trends in technology. In the mobile brand game, Microsoft loses hands down to Apple. I cannot imagine myself ever owning an MS Widows Phone / Nokia – despite the fact that I embrace Windows PCs over Apple desktops. I willingly admit that they are less expensive and easier to maintain. It is unfathomable that Nokia has overlooked the Android mobile OS. However with the N9 and the Meego (previously Maemo) OS there is a unique opportunity to have a distinct user experience, which all the while is capable of compatibility with Android applications (Alien Dalvik). Above all, the most compelling reason to support the N9, is its user interface which by all accounts, in every side by side review places it head and shoulders above Apple IOS, Google Android, and MS WP7. Please allow educated consumers the opportunity to purchase the product they want. If for one moment you could set aside internal politics and your urgent desire to have a unified R&D strategy, it would be amazing to be able to purchase a phone which not only looks great but operationally trashes the competition. Please sell me a Nokia N9.

Deeply saddened and concerned,

(NAME AND ADDRESS SUPPLIED)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to oweng For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
If that's him, it's clear he really does, "only have eyes for WP".
After WP helps them regain more of an uptick, [if it does]...
I don't think even his LT plans, include a return to 2nd Linux-based OS

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
maybe so, but he did reply, and the N9 will be available, all be it online only.

I could ask for more but that's better than nothing.

SO WHAT'S STOPPING EVERYONE ELSE HERE FROM CLEARLY AND CAREFULLY WORDING THEIR OWN PERSONAL EMAILS TO MR ELOP? NO, NOT A HATE CAMPAIGN, BUT IF YOU DO WANT TO BE HEARD THAN YOU SHOULD WRITE TO HIM... GOOD LUCK

Last edited by oweng; 2011-08-11 at 09:54.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
A tech giant's CEO who replies to customer's emails?
That reminds me of someone.... Hmmm...
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oweng View Post
maybe so, but he did reply, and the N9 will be available, all be it online only.

I could ask for more but that's better than nothing.

True. But it always looked likely for the UK (retail channels, not carriers)
I'd like some clarification from them regarding the US...
It seems it may be Amazon only, but even that's not 100% certain.

And I wonder what is meant exactly by "some online sellers".
Are they deliberately constraining how many retailers can distribute, & in what no's?
I hope not....

Anyway it's probably not "him" right?!?

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-08-11 at 09:56.

Well, it's simple, write to him

Good luck.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
True. But it always looked likely for the UK (retail channels, not carriers)
I'd like some clarification from them RE the US...
It seems it may be Amzon only, but even that's not 100% certain.

And I wonder what is meant exactly by "some online sellers".
Are they deliberately constraining how many retailers can distribute, & in what no's?
I hope not....

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
A tech giant's CEO who replies to customer's emails?
That reminds me of someone.... Hmmm...
Yeah, but this one forgot to add 'Sent from my Windoze Phone' to his signature. If I were responding to emails on his behalf, I would be tempted to add that, just for a laugh.

Sent from my N900

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-08-11 at 10:00.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
If we all start writing, and it really is him, he'll quickly begin to ignore.
There needs to be 1x carefully worded letter, reflecting the entire communities sentiments/ideas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Cheers for the update, but it doesn't answer my principal worry over whether carriers will offer it subsidised on contract.

I had no doubt that i'd be able to buy an N9 from Play.com, etc, but the N900 was £450 sim-free when it arrived.

My T-mobile contract with an unlocked handset was £110 upfront followed by eighteen payments of £20, or £470.

Tell me why i would willingly pay the RRP for a phone in britain when i can get it along with eighteen months of calls, texts and internet for £20 more?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
writing emails is imho useless. management made their decision thinking wp7 will be Nokias salvation. only the upcoming quarter results can make change their minds.