Hello!
first of all, all apologies if this is posted in the wrong place.

Now, my question (and suggestion) is if there is a possibility to make an app that picks upp the signal from a pulseband heartrate monitor and sends a sound to the earplugs.

Why?
Because even if i don't excel at it i enjoy running. I have heard from professional runners that the best way of running is with a cadence of 160-180 steps per minute. 160-180 also happens to be the normal beats per minute of your heart when your running fairly fast.
Therefore I started wondering - what happens if you run with your steps synced to your heart? I have tried running with my fingers to the aorta and manage to sync the legs to the pulse but it's not a very effective way of running and you also look quite strange.
So, since there are heatratemonitors with bluetooth (and ant+) would it be possible to make an app that picks up the signal and gives a sound?
Any sound will do but the possibility to change it in different ways like from beep to drum would be fun. I have also thought about being able to make bassgrooves and other extra things to make it a little funnier and stimulating to run rather than only the single thump from the pulse but the first and main thing is to at least get a sound to run to.

What do you say, is this a possible project?
i have spoke to others but never really caught a clear answer.

Best regards
anders

The Following User Says Thank You to Andersbrontosaurus For This Useful Post:
Does Sports Tracker do it? http://www.sports-tracker.com/

I've never used the software myself, but I know it works with heart beat monitors (was looking into it at one point because I'm a fatty and want to not be a fatty).

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

hello!

No. Sportstracker doesn't support it.
I've found different applications that can choose and even pitch your music in your headphones to your hearts bpm but so far nothing that really gets you to sync with your actual step.
running with the same bpm in heart and legs is off course fine and all but doesn't guaantee the actual sync. what I'm after is to see what happens if you really step at the same time as the heart pounds.
Will it be the perfect way of getting energy and blood circulating?
Will it cause overheating, stress and collapse?
Will it make no difference at all?

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
I run a lot, but I have never heard of any significant benefits about this "step syncing". More important is to find your own personal heart rate vs speed. 99% those that start jogging do it with too high speed. And your own heart rate is always personal, so counting it from statistics always just gives you some idea, but never the absolutely correct one.

As a side note. I have noticed that many heart rate monitors might pick up interference from mobile phones. Especially those early models that use internal/external GPS as well. I am talking about situations where both your devices are using GPS, maybe also bluetooth. Garmin and Suunto to name a few that my running friends have noticed.

@Boxeri: I have never heard of such a thing either, that's why I'm eager to try it.

Thanks for your hints. I've had a cold (maybe TWAR) for 4 months and haven't run since september. When I run I use a globalsat sportswatch with gps. The hrm is malfunctioning so I barely never use it.Therefore I have never really been accustomed to what my runningpulse measure. :-)

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Hit the suggestion box for Meetrainer: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86131

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
Hit the suggestion box for Meetrainer: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86131
Aye. What is a suggestion box?

Thanks in advance
Anders

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by Andersbrontosaurus View Post
Aye. What is a suggestion box?
Write to the author and ask him if he's interested to add that feature to his application.

The Following User Says Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post: