Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bath, UK

I blogged about it earlier, interesting news.

http://www.linuxuk.org

Could be quite significant if its rolled out to more countries.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I just love the assumptions, to wit:

Originally Posted by umpcportal
"if this is a WiMAX-enabled N800 coming out in 2008, does it mean there won't be any new Nokia tablet hardware in 2008?"

[sarcasm] no, they're gonna have every N800 tablet owner send his device in to have a wimax chip soldered in [/sarcasm]

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
So is the announcement of a new "N800" really that good news? What's going to happen with the current N800? Same as with the 770?

I guess it's time to start to save money for the next "N800" is i want to continue to have support. It's a shame that Nokia brings a new tablet to the market without even having leveraged the current N800 to the max. I really think that the N800 can do much more than what it does now. But now/soon, with three IT's on the market, what are you going to develop for? For the latest, i presume.

Ton.

If this means bringing to market a new version of the tablet, tailored to a specific carrier's WImax needs (and "maybe with Wifi and/or BT too" :-), and it is still called the N800, then consumer confusion is going to get worse, not better... :-)

OTOH, there are Wifi and BT adapters in SD format, so it's not impossible that at some point Wimax capability could be added to the existing N800 by way of an adapter in the external SD slot...

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
Yes I don't get aspects of his article either

Lets not forget that a WiMax (or HSDPA for us in the UK)
In what way is WiMax is the same as HSDPA?

Is it the implication that, since HSPDA is available in the UK, then we won't be getting WiMax in the future?

Posts: 93 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Anywhere but here
I don't see why a n800 with a wimax chip jammed in it means that the existing n800 is going to get screwed over for development? It's still an n800. They didn't say anything about any hardware or software changes, just that it is going to have wimax, so why couldn't it run the same os and apps as the current n800? Wimax doesn't change anything, its just a connectivity option, having wimax or not having wimax is equivilent to having the tablet tethered to a phone for internet, or using wifi, it doesn't make a difference in terms of software development. Unless Nokia does something silly.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barcelona, Spain
New hardware means new firmware. New firmware means two versions of the firmware, one with WiMax support and one without.

Unless Nokia does something smart...

Ton.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
So is the announcement of a new "N800" really that good news? What's going to happen with the current N800? Same as with the 770?

I guess it's time to start to save money for the next "N800" is i want to continue to have support. It's a shame that Nokia brings a new tablet to the market without even having leveraged the current N800 to the max. I really think that the N800 can do much more than what it does now. But now/soon, with three IT's on the market, what are you going to develop for? For the latest, i presume.

Ton.
Speaking of assumptions...

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Toontje View Post
New hardware means new firmware. New firmware means two versions of the firmware, one with WiMax support and one without.
No, it does not. Nokia will most likely ship the kernel module for the WiMax hardware with the firmware for all N800s. Those that have WiMax will load the module and those that do not will not.

And before anyone cries about "filling my flash with stuff I won't use!", the average compiled kernel module is only about 20-50k.