Notices

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
Originally Posted by Rob1n View Post
It's a free application, yes, and is available via App Manager, the same as most Maemo software. If you want the source code, that's also available from the repository.
yt
i have downloaded the app but there ids no word in it.
and when i downloaded dictionary from internet,it saved on my device now.how to use thoes files or d
ictionary in msstardic...

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I'd suggest starting at the beginning of this thread and reading through. This question has been covered numerous times (and in varying amounts of detail).

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
I'd suggest starting at the beginning of this thread and reading through. This question has been covered numerous times (and in varying amounts of detail).

look mr..what ever you r i m looking in all pages in this forum but could not solve anything!

and this may just becouse of ur advanced lenguage what you all use here.or you may say we r noob here.(and ofcource we r)

one of man like me says in the same thread.....

Originally Posted by dineshchaturvedi View Post
I am struggling with N900, I cannot install dictionary at all. I have extracted the files in the MyDocs/mstardic folder but nothing works.

Also the commonds u mentioned does not work either.
bunzip2 stardict-comn_sdict05_german_english-2.4.2.tar.bz2
tar xf stardict-comn_sdict05_german_english-2.4.2.tar

AM I missing some software.
Why Nokia/Maemo made it so hard for people to install a simple dictionary. I just bought this phone but if it goes like this I will sell it.
and also i m going to throw my n900 in desbid if it is so hard that we can not work with!!
if any one cares about us plz help us

i have downloaded two dictionary "Mstardic" and :Qstardict"

first mstardic...."no word loaded"

i downloaded some dicnaries

comn_sdict05_eng_eng_main.tar.bz2

extracted to pc ..in my case the files are (dict.xdxf and icon16.png)
then there was a folder "atomatically created in Mydocs on n900" mstardict

i put them both in it using usb cable(yes also .png file)

and now result is same "no word downloaded"

then i look for "dictionries option"in mstardic there was no dictionary file there!how to solve this now??

and in qstardict..also there is no word there
i go in option>configure>plugins tab> there are two by defualt "stardic" and "web"(not cheked yet)

and i hit wrench icon for setting NOTHING HAPPEND it does not open any option for me!in dictionary tab there no dictionary there! and when i check "stardic" and "web" then see in dictionry tab there is no dictionary.also when i exit setting in qstardic and enter again configure>plugins tab>they are unchecked

note:-i have intalled rootsh and when i try to install bzip2 using xterminal by typing
root
apt-get install bzip2

it gives me E: could not find the packeg(may be becouse i have installed "lzma" from app manager a compresseionmethode of 7z formate in 7-zip programe)
a detailed description needed plz
THANKS!

Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
i downloaded some dicnaries

comn_sdict05_eng_eng_main.tar.bz2

extracted to pc ..in my case the files are (dict.xdxf and icon16.png)
then there was a folder "atomatically created in Mydocs on n900" mstardict
XDXF format does not work (as has been reported several times in this thread) - you need the stardict format dictionaries. There's some very clear instructions in the thread here which cover downloading, extracting, and installing the dictionaries.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
XDXF format does not work (as has been reported several times in this thread) - you need the stardict format dictionaries. There's some very clear instructions in the thread here which cover downloading, extracting, and installing the dictionaries.
thank you very much sir !!
where can i download urdu and hindi languge ???

i could not find those lenguage in the link ....plz

THANKS! again

There's an English-Hindi dictionary here (or here, or here). I can't see any urdu language dictionary though, but I've not spent long searching - try googling for "stardict dictionary urdu" and hunt through the results.

Its really important to state that ONLY WinRAR unzip bz2 files properly. I was struggling with z7 sticking to all instructions, until I realized that there have to be TREE FILES in a folder, not TAR. The key to this issue is
1) WinRAR
2)TREE FILES
To those who still struggle. GoTo

Originally Posted by McRyach View Post
Its really important to state that ONLY WinRAR unzip bz2 files properly. I was struggling with z7 sticking to all instructions, until I realized that there have to be TREE FILES in a folder, not TAR. The key to this issue is
1) WinRAR
2)TREE FILES
To those who still struggle. GoTo
7zip works fine, you just need to extract from the .tar file as a separate step. WinRAR (and lots of other GUI tools) makes it easier by doing it in a single step though. You can also use bunzip2 and tar on the N900 to extract them (if you've got the necessary packages installed).

Thank you Rob1n for your post.

This is a good, clean and easy to use dictionary it also shows which particular dictionary the definition you are looking at comes from.

Excellent app.

pls how do u copy the extracted files to the mstardict directory?

Tags
dictionary, mstardict