Notices

Update 27th Oct

Finally got round to doing some more testing on this as promised.

I did 8 full resets and loaded my music via mass storage drag and drop from my macbook. The music totaled 37.63GB and is ripped to my mac via tunes. The album art is manually attached to each album in iTunes rather that using the get album artwork.

The test results are:

2 tests - airplane mode disabled (failed)
2 tests - airplane mode enabled (failed)
2 tests - airplane mode enabled fastern9 installed (successful)
2 tests - airplane mode disabled fastern9 installed (successful)

It would appear that airplane mode doesn't have any effect in resolving the problems with indexing your music songs and album art work. However when you install fastern9 indexing songs and album artwork is flawless (with or without airplane mode enabled).

Sorry to mislead you guys earlier.

However this is still a good find... and enhances my experience with the stock music player

-----------------
Previous Post

Tip for your stock n9 music player: Switch your n9 into airplane mode when you load music (via mass storage drop and drag”). Keep the n9 in airplane mode then open the music app and it will update and index all your music (album art and songs) fully without fail.

I often flash or reset my phone after tweaking and modding it to it breaks - life of an n9 user

One thing that was an ongoing annoyance was after I’d transferring all my music (38gb worth) the phone would not update/index the music library fully or properly with missing album art and in some cases missing songs in the albums.

This all changed when I thought to put the phone in airplane mode when updating the music library. All my music has been indexed fully and shows all album art on all songs. Not really sure why this is but I’ve tested this a few times with and without airplane mode enabled and it appears to solve the problem.

Thought I’d share....

Last edited by sts1976; 2012-10-27 at 17:27. Reason: FASTERN9 helps with indexing not airplane mode sorry

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sts1976 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
So now we have one more weapon in the fight against tracker

Anyway next time you have an issue you can also open terminal and type tracker-control to give you the status of tracker...looking thru some logs you'll be able to see the problematic album due to which all others are being affected...its usually due to the idv3 tags or the album art of that 1 or few albums that is the cause of tracker getting stuck...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Thanks for sharing!
Both of you guys.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rooster13 For This Useful Post:
This airplane mode thing got me thinking...I was wondering if anyone can confirm it:

By default, under Settings->Applications->Music the option to search for recommendations from Nokia music is enabled...Is this the option that is causing the issue? Tracker is trying to upload the album art or idv3 tags to Nokia's service to match with Nokia music so in the future when you click on a title for recommendations, it is able to get them faster? However if your idv3 tags or album art differs, tracker is getting stuck?

If someone can , especially sts1976 since he knows how to work-around this, try not enabling airplane mode but turning off those settings for both Music and Videos when transferring media, does tracker still give issues?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 319 | Thanked: 221 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
I have the issue and recommendations has always been turned off. So maybe it's not due to that.
goViihde, an Elisa Viihde client for N9
Shortcut Stash Home Screen Widget

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rooster13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
This airplane mode thing got me thinking...I was wondering if anyone can confirm it:

By default, under Settings->Applications->Music the option to search for recommendations from Nokia music is enabled...Is this the option that is causing the issue? Tracker is trying to upload the album art or idv3 tags to Nokia's service to match with Nokia music so in the future when you click on a title for recommendations, it is able to get them faster? However if your idv3 tags or album art differs, tracker is getting stuck?

If someone can , especially sts1976 since he knows how to work-around this, try not enabling airplane mode but turning off those settings for both Music and Videos when transferring media, does tracker still give issues?
I can confirm that the Nokia music recommendations was enabled during the update process.

However; one thing that has come to mind though - is that I usually install “fastern9” straight out of the box. It may be the case that in the cases where the music update caused problems I hadn’t installed fastern9 and vice versa. Although I still believe that airplane mode was the key variable here.

I have some free time this weekend so ill do some more definitive testing a report back.

The Following User Says Thank You to sts1976 For This Useful Post:
Arie has told me that when he had tracker issues on his device the recommendations were off so maybe its something else?

I was just wondering why turning on airplane mode makes tracker behave properly

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 426 | Thanked: 374 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Middle East
I have FasterN9, and this issue only used to happen when I had recommendations on. I switched it off and never had any problems transferring any amount of files.. Never used airplane mode either.

it seems that the only tags that do not work are some weird idv3 tags especially when media is exported from iTunes or something.. If I tag them manually, they work perfectly.

I guess it's a selective problem for some..

Portfolio: AKstudios : : graphics with attitude.
Flickr: AKstudios
Twitter: @flopjoke

I also never had problems transferring music files via mass storage (drop and drag). Till PR 1.2 I had recommendations from Nokia music enabled without problems and with the last fw I disabled this service, but only because I don't need it.

Finally got round to doing some more testing on this as promised.

I did 8 full resets and loaded my music via mass storage drag and drop from my macbook. The music totaled 37.63GB and is ripped to my mac via tunes. The album art is manually attached to each album in iTunes rather that using the get album artwork.

The test results are:

2 tests - airplane mode disabled (failed)
2 tests - airplane mode enabled (failed)
2 tests - airplane mode enabled fastern9 installed (successful)
2 tests - airplane mode disabled fastern9 installed (successful)

It would appear that airplane mode doesn't have any effect in resolving the problems with indexing your music songs and album art work. However when you install fastern9 indexing songs and album artwork is flawless (with or without airplane mode enabled).

Sorry to mislead you guys earlier.

However this is still a good find... and enhances my experience with the stock music player.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sts1976 For This Useful Post: