Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I just upgraded to the 2006 Beta OS, and I'm extremely frustrated at not getting VOIP or other messaging to work.

I registered with both Googletalk and Jabber but after that I got lost in a mass of confusion. Obviously contacts need to be present to use any sort of messaging, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to add them! There is absolutely NO provision whatsoever to add contacts in any way on the 770 (that I can find, anyway). The device seems to assume thy'll materialize out of thin air I suppose.

I tried to find a way to get the jabber.org server to see my AIM and MSN contacts, but I've hit dead ends there, too. Can't see any way to import or export contacts from any messaging system to another.

All in all I can't find a nice, clean, coherent resource for getting this setup on the 770. Google is useless... I just stumble onto one worthless site after another using keywords like "Nokia 770" and VOIP.

So any ideas out there? Any tutorials at all? Is this feature maybe not ready for use?

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
App menu, Contact, Contacts...

Tap the menu at the top, Contact, New Contact.

I didn't play with the contact manager either since I don't really use the 770 for email. Also, any of your existing gMail contacts *will* materialize out of thin air

Texrat, I am glad it isn't just me! It is all a bit vague. Both Jabber and GTalk are hard to figure out I think. I was looking into Jabber at work yesterday and like most open source type project they assume everyone knows what they are doing and they tend to leave out all the 'obvious' details. I think with Jabber you have to use a server that supports the AIM and MSN gateways. How you find one I don't know and I am not sure Jabber.org does support them. I don't even know if on the 770 with the appropriate Jabber account you can see your MSN contacts (which is what I want too). When I was trying to get Jabber working yesterday at work I had no luck connecting to anything but that is probably a firewall thing here at work. I also can't get my presence to go online at work even though the wireless connection and email works fine. At home it worked fine (goes online as soon as I connect to the net).

It's great the 770 is a device running Linux and Open Source this and that but it's no excuse for the documentation being rubbish. Hopefully when the production version comes out the docs will be more comprehensive but judging by the original documentation I am not holding out much hope.

Thanks Hedgecore for pointing out the contacts thing since that had me confused too. Seems all my old contacts made it over when I upgraded but only last names? I am really thankful there are people on here who figure this stuff out then share their tricks so the rest of us can get some of this stuff to work.

Is it my imagination or has the email inbox lost some options? Like being able to mark and unmark individual messages? So if I have 50 spams and one message I want to keep I can't select all, unmark the one I want then delete the rest? At least they got rid of the downright confusing email scheduler. I could never understand the interface on that thing! I am glad they've gone to a simple check email every X minutes.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ France
Originally Posted by Simon
I don't even know if on the 770 with the appropriate Jabber account you can see your MSN contacts (which is what I want too). ../..
Hi Simon,

Times ago, I try to chat with MSN network using Jabber account,
(jabber server I select have gateway to access MSN network)
I finally understood that I need a MSN account to do this,
no way to chat with someone on MSN without MSN account ...

Someone can confirm this ?

Thank you,
Laurent.

The MSN transport is just that, it's a way for you to contact the MSN servers. In order to actually use them you must have an account. Probably you have to create the MSN account on an MSN capable client first - but either way, you have to have an account for MSN, ICQ or whichever other IM type you want to use via the jabber transport.

I was really frustrated when I started this thread and only slightly lesser so now... lol. I was able to get 2 phone numbers added to Googletalk using instructions found at gtalk2voip.com, but it ends there. I can't successfully call either of the 2 numbers added, and I see that others are having trouble with that service as well. *sigh*

The Contacts adding feature is nonobvious. That needs to be fixed. I would also really appreciate a way to haul in my AIM and MSN contacts easily (both are on the GAIM server, which I set as my Jabber resource but in futility it seems).

Open source is great, but SOMEone (*glares at my employer*) needs to take the lead and start compiling some proven resources for this device. We're trying to perform post-release usability tests (mostly ad hoc) and if what we techie Nokia employees are encountering is any indication there are some REALLY irritated mainstream 770 users out there. Granted the *device* is new but the infrastructure should be mature enough to pull together and publish some decent How-Tos.

I have some feedback for the next version of the device but need to find the proper channels. Very difficult to find, even within the company...

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Texrat
I was really frustrated when I started this thread and only slightly lesser so now... lol. I was able to get 2 phone numbers added to Googletalk using instructions found at gtalk2voip.com, but it ends there. I can't successfully call either of the 2 numbers added, and I see that others are having trouble with that service as well. *sigh*

The Contacts adding feature is nonobvious. That needs to be fixed. I would also really appreciate a way to haul in my AIM and MSN contacts easily (both are on the GAIM server, which I set as my Jabber resource but in futility it seems).

Open source is great, but SOMEone (*glares at my employer*) needs to take the lead and start compiling some proven resources for this device. We're trying to perform post-release usability tests (mostly ad hoc) and if what we techie Nokia employees are encountering is any indication there are some REALLY irritated mainstream 770 users out there. Granted the *device* is new but the infrastructure should be mature enough to pull together and publish some decent How-Tos.

I have some feedback for the next version of the device but need to find the proper channels. Very difficult to find, even within the company...

Calling out via GTalk to a landline or cellular phone is very easy, and it works great. Ruslan at gtalk2voip is still trying to figure out how to get incoming calls to answer, but I'm sure that's not too far off.

To call out, make sure you have registered your Google name at the gtalk2voip site, there is an input box right in the middle of their homepage. You should get an invite to add "service@gtalk2voip.com" on the 770. Go ahead and accept it, now you can dial out to any phone number...the key is you have to add a contact for each number you want to dial on the 770. This is the only limitation so far, you can't dial out from the "service" contact.

Add your contact in this format: +18005551212@gtalk2voip.com

I'm assuming you are here in the U.S., and make sure you put the + symbol at the beginning. Once you add a contact like this, you will get a confirmation that it was accepted. Now you can voice call that number...

Hope this helps...I do agree with you on adding contacts, there should be an easier way to add new contacts. I wish there were a "new contact" button in the "people" icon on the left pane.

I did all of the above, exactly as posted-- no success. No errors, no feedback of any kind, and no connection to any of the numbers entered as contacts. Easy, maybe, but for me not functional.

EDIT: Miracle of miracles, the feature just started working. As of early this morning it still wasn't, but I just now placed 2 calls that went through. Maybe some sort of propagation delay?

Last edited by Texrat; 2006-06-20 at 15:51.

Posts: 449 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Eureka, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat
I did all of the above, exactly as posted-- no success. No errors, no feedback of any kind, and no connection to any of the numbers entered as contacts. Easy, maybe, but for me not functional.

EDIT: Miracle of miracles, the feature just started working. As of early this morning it still wasn't, but I just now placed 2 calls that went through. Maybe some sort of propagation delay?
Google Talk on the 770 is odd. Sometimes I won't be able to call out - not even to other Google Talk contacts. At first I thought something was up with Google Talk's servers, but the service worked just fine on my computer. So I just restarted the 770 and it started to work again. The 770 at this point with a BETA OS (don't forget - it's in beta form) is like a crappy router - when at first you don't succeed, unplug, wait a few seconds, and restart until they have the new firmware available.

I was testing it from my laptop just then and it worked. I haven't tried the 770 again (not with me) but I will later. The odd thing was that it wasn't working on the laptop a few hours ago.

And I see charges being incurred-- how can anyone bill me? I have no billing account affiliated with Google.