Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The time of maemo.org/downloads/maemo5 is approaching. Actually we probably want it up and running by the Maemo Summit since there will be a demo area where people will be able to play with devices, install apps, etc. It's also a good time to start showcasing to potential users and the media what the community has got.

And I believe it will help developer hurrying up when they see their apps are not there yet.

So how will it work?

- Only apps in Extras to be showcased?

- Automatic publication in /downloads on an app or an update lands in Extras?

- Apps ranked only by karma and most recent, both for general and each section?

When can we have something up to start testing the Downloads pages themselves?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
So if I understand correctly, these will be apps that only run on Maemo5? Obviously Jaffa's horizon app comes to mind...

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
This is about the Maemo 5 version of http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
My opinion:

Only apps in extras - yes.

Automatic update - yes. Also a RSS feed of updates would be nice.

Ranked only by karma and most recent? - no. Keep it simple, allow also alphanumeric sorting - useful when searching for that app starting with T... but hell I can't remember the name...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Well, for me, I'd like to be able to have a choice in the matter.
For example: Jaffa asked me to upload the Droid Sans fonts to Fremantle's extras-devel, and I did so. And I was told that they work fine.

Now, I can request to promote them; and if enough people try them (and see the point of them...), they'd be in Extras. And people who like the fonts could install them. But I think having an entry on /downloads is a bit OTT for fonts.

(The current entry for the Droid Sans fonts, in /os2008, wasn't made by me (and I never planned to have one) - X-Fade had it created with his automatic import of the packages in Extras)

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 84 | Thanked: 212 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Definitely yes, please!

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
So how will it work?

- Only apps in Extras to be showcased?
No strong opinion on this. App in Extras should be marked as such. At least we can guarantee a bit more quality then.

This will happen. I will take the info from the package in maemo.org/packages. Someone should still add screenshots of course, I can't generate those

- Apps ranked only by karma and most recent, both for general and each section?
If someone can come up with a nice proposal/sketch, then I should be able to implement it.

When can we have something up to start testing the Downloads pages themselves?
How about I try to have the empty one up by the end of the week?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Well, for me, I'd like to be able to have a choice in the matter.
For example: Jaffa asked me to upload the Droid Sans fonts to Fremantle's extras-devel, and I did so. And I was told that they work fine.

Now, I can request to promote them; and if enough people try them (and see the point of them...), they'd be in Extras. And people who like the fonts could install them. But I think having an entry on /downloads is a bit OTT for fonts.

(The current entry for the Droid Sans fonts, in /os2008, wasn't made by me (and I never planned to have one) - X-Fade had it created with his automatic import of the packages in Extras)
When you put your app in user/* then it means that you want people to be able to install it. If you then also put it in Extras, then it makes sense to have it in Downloads too.

If there are packages in user/* categories in Extras which should not be in Downloads, then something doesn't add up Either they shouldn't be in Extras or they shouldn't be in user/* category.

With the whole QA queue, you'd have plenty of time to stop promotion anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by X-Fade View Post
When you put your app in user/* then it means that you want people to be able to install it. If you then also put it in Extras, then it makes sense to have it in Downloads too.

If there are packages in user/* categories in Extras which should not be in Downloads, then something doesn't add up Either they shouldn't be in Extras or they shouldn't be in user/* category.

With the whole QA queue, you'd have plenty of time to stop promotion anyway.
True, but there is going to be meta packages and packages which directly don't do anything visible for the user. See Mauku and Omweather . So there should be a easy way to hide these from downloads.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
My opinion:
Automatic update - yes. Also a RSS feed of updates would be nice.
1+ vote for RSS feed option.