Active Topics

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
This is all conjecture though, as Nokia haven't announced yet how they intend developers to use /opt (although it's being left a little late!)
Yes, I should have seen this /opt thing coming when kimitake said he's using /opt/qt4 to hold the Qt libs... Was hoping for some unionfs action, myself, too. Duh. Back to my Qt-on-loop-device monstrosity, it looks like we might be needing it for Fremantle, too

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
Thanks.

A posibility to format 32G internal memory on ext2/ext3 ?
I don't see why you couldn't format it ext2/3..though you would lose the ability to use the N900 as a mass storage device on windows machines.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
It's not that easy, or better to say not without consequences on Diablo, where certain bits expected to have a VFAT partition on /media/mmc2. We'll see if the N900 inherits that stance or not

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's not that easy, or better to say not without consequences on Diablo, where certain bits expected to have a VFAT partition on /media/mmc2. We'll see if the N900 inherits that stance or not
I talked to timeless about this one and the assumptions are a lot more limited in Fremantle than they were in Diablo. So, no, ext3 shouldn't be an issue.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
Im guessing the usb is host, so can i just plug in a usb key and it will show up as mass storage?
Join the club. I too guessed that any normal computer user reading the specs, with references to USB mass storage etc., would interpret them as you have. I got flamed by the big man. Apparently Nokia's customers are not supposed to be interested in host mode, even if the device is billed as a "computer", for Nokia's first time ever.

You need to read the earlier part of this thread and the discussion about what "support" means.

You should also read the long threads about host mode on earlier Maemo devices. It eventually turned out to be very easy to switch USB modes, once you got some basic facts that Nokia wasn't handing out. For a long time, Nokia's line was that you needed to have a Linux PC handy if you wanted to switch modes.

For the N900, as for the earlier devices, the default USB mode is to act as a peripheral device, connected to your PC for transferring files back and forth.

It is generally believed that the Maemo community will be able to figure out how to change modes on the new device, as it did for the earlier ones. Watch this forum for the next few months.

Last edited by scaler; 2009-09-08 at 22:18. Reason: resolving conflict between singular and plural

Originally Posted by scaler View Post
It is generally believed that the Maemo community will be able to figure out how to change modes on the new device, as it did for the earlier ones. Watch this forum for the next few months.
It's as simple as having an OTG adaptor and the hardware handles the rest.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's as simple as having an OTG adaptor and the hardware handles the rest.
as per qoles earlier post....

Originally Posted by qole View Post
OK bad news, using the standard micro USB cable, my always-useful Female-Female adapter, and an 8GB USB key, I installed and ran "usbcontrol" from the repositories and the mode wouldn't switch from "b_idle" to "host" at all. Trying the old "echo host > /sys/.../musb_hdrc/mode" had the same result. Whatever you write, it is overwritten with "b_idle"...
Is this just because he did not have a powered adapter. I havent seen anyone that said host mode was working with and OTG adaptor.....

Epi

Originally Posted by epilido View Post
Is this just because he did not have a powered adapter. I havent seen anyone that said host mode was working with and OTG adaptor.....
USB OTG isn't powered, pin 5 is simply grounded which tells the software that it needs to be in host mode. jolouis manufactures these adaptors for the N800.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by epilido View Post
as per qoles earlier post....

Epi
For the N810 you either used the software switch mentioned by qole or a USB OTG adapter which I don't think anyone has tried yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
USB OTG isn't powered, pin 5 is simply grounded which tells the software that it needs to be in host mode. jolouis manufactures these adaptors for the N800.
Also found on ebay for the N810 (should also work with the N900 - micro USB). I grabbed one off of ebay about 8 months ago. Works fine with my Linksys USB ethernet adapter.