Posts: 129 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Hi Guys

Could not find a similar topic by strolling around in the forums and I do hope I'm somewhat in the right section with my request. Thought about the brainstorm section as well, but I'm sure I will be told if I'm totally off here...

Ok, so I live in Switzerland and Maemo5/N900 features a locale and language setting for German (Switzerland) which is fine. I prefer to have my phone in English though but still have numers and date formats in the local format. The only EN locales are EN_US and/or EN_UK which also switch date and number formats.

Is there any way to get some kind of uuhm... international English locale so to say? Hope you get the idea, display language English, numbers and dates in - for example - German.

Thanks for any replies. Cheers guys.

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
I am not exactly sure what you mean but you should look up ukeyboard. It will give you the ability to switch language for telephone without setting a dfifferent locale.

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Isn't that what country and regional settings under Settings is for?

Also you could try running "add_remove_language add xx_YY" as root.

Thought ukeyboard is specifically for the keyboard only... I'll have a look at it in just a second.

So what I meant: I have to have the user interface language set to German if I want for example dates to read like dd.mm.yy.
I would like Maemo to be set to English but the dates still dd.mm.yy instead of mm/dd/yy for English US or dd/mm/yy for English UK.

So English interface with German number and date formats. This is what I meant.

Yes, I know the Language & region settings panel item. But as I tried to point out, language should be English - I prefer to read user interfaces in English as they are usually rather poorly translated - but I get confused by reading 03/12/10 which for me means 3rd of December, not March 12th so I would like the dates to still be 12.03.10 with dots rather than slashes.
So currently it is the Device language setting which controls the Date format and not the Regional settings, which I just now realize is what I'm asking for. Thus I say Device language English (USA) and Regional settings Deutsch (Schweiz) should result in dd.mm.yy instead of mm/dd/yy and not only in Decimal separator and Thousands separator being changed.

Hope could clear it up what I meant...

Edit: revised text a little bit

Last edited by schaggo; 2010-03-11 at 11:42.

ohh.. sorry.

On my device (which is swedish) i have the option to change language and another option to change regional. If i change the language the regional change automatic. But then i just change the locale back to swedish to have the UI in english.

So do I, but along with the UI changes the number formats!
Try Swedish/Swedish and your date should read 11.03.10 right?
Now change to English (USA)/Swedish and your date should read 03/11/10 right?

Yeah.. you are correct. Need to find the doc where you set the date format. wait a minute.

Oh there is a doc for that...? Geez I'm to accustomed to Windows and it's closed nature

Originally Posted by schaggo View Post
Oh there is a doc for that...? Geez I'm to accustomed to Windows and it's closed nature
Should be laying somewhere but i have not clue where...

But if i can find it.. it should only be to print like ddmmyy or similar.